Todays Daily Mail article on MA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nonsense. Using your house analogy, when there is strong house price inflation do you save up your pennies for a year or two and then buy or do you buy and struggle for a while until you get yourself established?

Anyone with any sense does the latter because you'll never save (or build a football team with or without money) at the same pace as you generate house price equity (earn zillions by being in the Prem).

The Prem is secure with another massive TV deal. There is no way that even parachute payments from a dire one season effort in the Prem, are not better than gentle progress in the Championship. Yo-yo teams are more likely to stay in the Prem than those who get promoted after years of steady building in the Champ (Reading being the rare exception to the rule).

Depends whether you're prepared to put up with the inevitable crash...but accept that you have a point. Would be interested in seeing some figures relating to your last point.

NO, NO, NO! You take promotion as soon as possible. It is economic madness to wait and build a 'stronger' team first!

Even if you come straight back down you enjoy an income of £50 milllion+ over three years!

You can build a hell of a lot stronger team with that than with the approx £4 million per year MM is putting in!

I worry about this notion of being able to build a team on parachute payments. Particularly if you have an ageing squad when you come down, all the parachure money will be spent on the remainder of their contracts - that's what it's there for.

Structure and finances need to be in good shape before you go up. Yo-yo clubs tend to stop being yo-yo clubs on the down-phase, rarely on the up-phase. That is clearly not want MM wants for the club (whatever his motivation) - he sees the sense of building things slowly. If only supporters showed the same good sense.

Nonsense. Using your house analogy, when there is strong house price inflation do you save up your pennies for a year or two and then buy or do you buy and struggle for a while until you get yourself established?

Anyone with any sense does the latter
because you'll never save (or build a football team with or without money) at the same pace as you generate house price equity (earn zillions by being in the Prem).

The Prem is secure with another massive TV deal. There is no way that even parachute payments from a dire one season effort in the Prem, are not better than gentle progress in the Championship. Yo-yo teams are more likely to stay in the Prem than those who get promoted after years of steady building in the Champ (Reading being the rare exception to the rule).

You wouldn't be saying that if you were one of those who overstretched themselves just before one of the regular crashes that the housing market suffers - or just before serious illness/accident/redundancy put your payments beyond reach.

Similarly football clubs can overstretch themselves and when relegated find that not even the parachute payments are enough to keep them financially bouyant. See if you can name one!

You wouldn't be saying that if you were one of those who overstretched themselves just before one of the regular crashes that the housing market suffers - or just before serious illness/accident/redundancy put your payments beyond reach.

Similarly football clubs can overstretch themselves and when relegated find that not even the parachute payments are enough to keep them financially bouyant. See if you can name one!

Get yourself insured. I am covered so my mortgage will be paid if I am laid up...the mortgage would be paid off entirely if either myself of mr partner dies. Sometimes I swear she is contemplating pushing me down the stairs.

The idea that people can even begin to think that promtion is a bad idea, regardless of the squad, is lunacy, complete and utter bloody madness.

Promotion = shit loads of money, no promotion doesn't.

Bizarre

The idea that people can even begin to think that promtion is a bad idea, regardless of the squad, is lunacy, complete and utter bloody madness.

Promotion = shit loads of money, no promotion doesn't.

Bizarre

Amen.

Get yourself insured. I am covered so my mortgage will be paid if I am laid up...the mortgage would be paid off entirely if either myself of mr partner dies. Sometimes I swear she is contemplating pushing me down the stairs.

And I suppose that you would say that the parachute payments are the equivalent of insurance? So, how is it that there are clubs that can not cope even with the parachite payments?

The answer is obvious - it's because they weren't financially and structurally sound in the first place. And that is why ensuring that *must* be a precursor to promotion.

And I suppose that you would say that the parachute payments are the equivalent of insurance? So, how is it that there are clubs that can not cope even with the parachite payments?

The answer is obvious - it's because they weren't financially and structurally sound in the first place. And that is why ensuring that *must* be a precursor to promotion.

Perhaps they are more like insurance than you realise. A sinificant proportion of people who come to claim on their mortgage protection insurance discover it will not pay out, or does so on a very limited scale, leaving them in deep doo doo! Rather like relying on parachute payments.

But of course there has been a sudden step change with the new prem TV money and, for a period at least, those teams that budget carefully on promotion (plus including relegation clauses in contracts) will, if relegated staight off, be much better placed to avoid the disasters that have tended to befall many in recent times.

Perhaps they are more like insurance than you realise. A sinificant proportion of people who come to claim on their mortgage protection insurance discover it will not pay out, or does so on a very limited scale, leaving them in deep doo doo! Rather like relying on parachute payments.

But of course there has been a sudden step change with the new prem TV money and, for a period at least, those teams that budget carefully on promotion (plus including relegation clauses in contracts) will, if relegated staight off, be much better placed to avoid the disasters that have tended to befall many in recent times.

I doo doo realise that, but decided to exclude it from my argument so as not to complicate matters.

I seem to remember that in the case of our most recent relegation, we did have relegation clauses in the contract. They were not enough to ensure our financial security for the very reason that the club itself wasn't on an entirely solid footing. This time it has got to be done differently - and I believe that MM will ensure that it is.

Let's be clear about it. Nobody is suggesting that we should avoid promotion - only that it is not the most important thing.

Just one more thing - I hope that Silver's insurance is as good as he thinks it is if he never needs to make a claim.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Arsenal410
3Newcastle410
4Liverpool49
5Aston Villa49
6Brighton48
7Nottm F48
8Chelsea47