Too Soft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melton Fox

Dancing Queen
Is this what our nation is becoming?

I ask this after watching X-Factor this week and watching grown men constantly crying in public, and it's seemingly encouraged.

I see school children greeting each other with hugs and kisses as opposed to the old fashioned punch on the arm and dead shoulder.

I see pretentious public outpourings of grief from seemingly sensible people when a celebrity dies.

I see us taking too long to win wars because we are worried about upsetting people with an attack.

I see naughty school children being diagnosed with medical conditions instead of being disciplined.

I see children not being taught the art of dealing with the inevitable failure and loss because it may upset them. I only see winners on sports day even thought they lost, is this right?

Should we be taught how to lose, it's inevitable that we'll need that skill after all.

I worry that soon this country will be the equivalent of the playground weakling and that the bullies will come in and take charge because we are crying in the corner instead of dealing with the reality of real life.

To succeed you need aggression, not total aggression, just a nice balance. I see just love and caring, and as Brian May said "Too Much Love Will You"

I'm also worried we'll lose the art of holding our hands up and accepting responsibility for our own actions, the blame culture is taking over, and we just want to hide from everything.

I see us worrying about the feelings of those nations that are different to us, yet I only see those that are different to us taking advantage of this weak aspect of our nature.

Are we turning into a spineless nation?

Too be honest i totally and utterly agree with you melts (nearly as hard as agreeing with john 'fat ****' gaunt'

I believe the politically correct do gooders are to blame for this once great and strong nation turning into an almost un opinionated weakling.

Maybe a change of national flag is in order?

:038: Couldn't agree more.

But it wasn't my fault Talking Balls FC lost so many games. :icon_wink

Sounds about right has been happening for a number of years.

Too be honest i totally and utterly agree with you melts (nearly as hard as agreeing with john 'fat ****' gaunt'

I believe the politically correct do gooders are to blame for this once great and strong nation turning into an almost un opinionated weakling.

Maybe a change of national flag is in order?

I think political correctness is an easy scapegoat. And I don't think it's just this country.

But, we have built a society where, for instance, it is feared to hold your hands up and admit a mistake, in case it costs you your job, or relationship etc.

I worked out the other day that I think all our actions are engineered by 3 emotions, guilt, greed and fear.

I worked out the other day that I think all our actions are engineered by 3 emotions, guilt, greed and fear.

What about sex? Wait now, I think I'll rephrase that, *ahem* ....a lot of our actions are driven by sexual desire.

I love this country. I'm proud to be English*. I've spent time living in other countries and frequently had to defend this nation of ours.

However I have to agree with much of that.

I also am realistic enough to know that lots of other countries do many things much better than we do and I regret the fact that we seem to be giving away some of our identity and values, although what exactly that identity is I'm not sure.

I'd still rather be a woman in this country than in many other countries in the world.

*well my grandmother's side is welsh, but I was born in England

Last edited:
I'd still rather be a woman in this country than in many other countries in the world.

So would I ;)

Seriously though, I think it is the actions of the small minority that get the most press attention and this is then blown out of all proportion to sell newspapers and gives the impression that the whole country is going to hell in a handcart.

I would like to think that our country still has a fair bit going for it to be honest.

The best cancer hospital in Europe.
Some of the best diving in the world.
Some of the most stunning scenery on the planet.

name 3 things :102:

the best climate in the world.
free health care
stunning scenery.
a high level of education and wealth. ( I know there are exceptions to this rule but there is in almost every country)
The best football league set up in the world.
me
we make the best comedy shows in the world. FACT.

free health care
stunning scenery.
a high level of education and wealth. ( I know there are exceptions to this rule but there is in almost every country)
me

Replace that with me and your spot on

free health care
stunning scenery.
me

Superb CAD designers to boot. Well Done Leroy :038:

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Liverpool512
2Manchester C  412
3Aston Villa512
4Chelsea510
5Arsenal410
6Newcastle510
7Brighton48
8Fulham58