Too Soft?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's too easy for 'em. Every kid knows that they can push it and push it and that there is only so much any figure of authority (including the parents) can do.

I firmly believe that this "hoodie" society is as a result of soft schooling. What happens if a kid gets into a fight at school? At the very least they get suspended. At worst they could get prosecuted by the parents of the other child or even removed from school completely.
What message does that send? The kid that threw the punch get's thrown into the "thug" category and so finds solace (sp) with his fellow "thugs". The kid that got hit knows that no matter what trouble he gets into, someone will bail him out.

I think we are breeding weak adults and that the problem will get worse before it gets better. There is no sense of responsibility from anyone, and that includes the authorities.

At the school that I work at, for 10-14 year olds, they would only get excluded under exceptional circumstances e.g. repeated fighting, and then only for a day.

In the five years that I've worked there, I could count on one hand the number of pupils that have been excluded (temporarily or permanently).

I think if you've been left school for more than a couple of years, you'd be amazed at how different things are now.

Last edited:
At the school that I work at, for 10-14 year olds, they would only get excluded under exceptional circumstances e.g. repeated fighting, and then only for a day.

In the five years that I've worked there, I could count on one hand the number of pupils that have been excluded (temporarily or permanently).

I think if you've been left school for more than a couple of years, you'd be amazed at how different things are now.

Even when I was there it was never that bad

Me neither, and that was in the Olden Days :icon_wink

However, thinking about it, the reason there's no need to exclude pupils is because there is rarely any fighting that goes on.

Going back to Melton's original post, the kids are happy to stand about hugging one another and chatting, rather than getting rough with one another.

However, there has been a marked improvement in behaviour since the school moved premises.

There is now much more room for those who want to play football to do so without encroaching on the areas where others just want to chat.

Basically, they can now do what they choose and I think that removing the boredom factor has played a large part in their good behaviour.

It was for me.

One headteacher told us that they had been instructed not to expel/exclude people unless it was an extreme case. If they did expel someone (god forbid) then they'd be under scrutiny for it.

One of my friends was jumped and beaten quite badly by 3 brothers and what happened to them? One day exclusion and put on report.

The school opted for "student mentors" and special trips to motivate the naughty kids (of which there were lots). It really pissed us off because us "good kids" were getting feck all but the naughty ones were getting taken out of lessons for extra help, special projects and expensive trips out. Most of them were a waste of time and money.

They used to do 'Isolation' at my old school, turn up in trainers/jeans/t-shirt you got thrown into Isolation.

Isolation involved the pupil going to the class asking for work delaying the lesson by 5 minutes whilst the teacher does that. They then go to a senior member of staff and sit nearby their office. Not under supervision.

They did the work which was normally writing a couple of pages in a text book in about 20 minutes and spent 40 minutes just doing feck all. They could of and many did just walked off and came back 35 minutes.

It did neither targets it should of done - punish the child and learn them school is their lifebeing when younger or actually teach them a thing or too.

Then exclusions were very little - lads beaten up, terrorised etc. one day off or a report. I got slammed on report one day because the TV wasn't working and I put a plug in the socket and the teacher thought I was disconnecting it in and out. I joined the likes of kids smoking drugs at school, bullies, thugs.

One time there was a huff when a lad did a 'Rivaldo' dive when a teacher slammed a door shut on him. Loads of extra time but in but at non expense.

Last edited:
I know I am a bit older than some here, but at one of my previous schools we still had the cane and I tell you what, it flipping worked.

Kids today etc etc etc .........

It was for me.

One headteacher told us that they had been instructed not to expel/exclude people unless it was an extreme case. If they did expel someone (god forbid) then they'd be under scrutiny for it.

One of my friends was jumped and beaten quite badly by 3 brothers and what happened to them? One day exclusion and put on report.

The school opted for "student mentors" and special trips to motivate the naughty kids (of which there were lots). It really pissed us off because us "good kids" were getting feck all but the naughty ones were getting taken out of lessons for extra help, special projects and expensive trips out. Most of them were a waste of time and money.

Yep, that's something that really pisses me off too.

The disruptive kids get rewarded, whilst those who abide by the rules and work hard get bugger all.

Sends out totally the wrong signals.

Yep, that's something that really pisses me off too.

The disruptive kids get rewarded, whilst those who abide by the rules and work hard get bugger all.

Sends out totally the wrong signals.

At our school it went,

Troublesome kids went challenge parks and alton towers.

Clever kids got special attention - all various trips and drayton manor. (It boosted my ego :icon_lol:)

Medium kids - feck all! Poor bastards did no trips, they were the background noise of the school.

At our school it went,

Troublesome kids went challenge parks and alton towers.

Clever kids got special attention - all various trips and drayton manor. (It boosted my ego :icon_lol:)

Medium kids - feck all! Poor bastards did no trips, they were the background noise of the school.

Where I work the disruptive kids get vouchers/computer games if they hand in their homework on time.

The clever kids get a certificate every now and again and recognition in assemblies.

Those inbetween - nothing, either work harder or become disruptive.

I know I am a bit older than some here, but at one of my previous schools we still had the cane and I tell you what, it flipping worked.

Kids today etc etc etc .........

Did it ****, I was caned nearly everyday at school, it just turned me into a horrible ****.

Did it ****, I was caned nearly everyday at school, it just turned me into a horrible ****.

Every rule has an exception........... :icon_lol:

Anyway, were you still a **** at school therefore risking the cane again or did you wait until you left when there was no more cane?

Those inbetween - nothing, either work harder or become disruptive.

....which is defo failing our kids. The govt./bodies need to realise that in the dearest respect these are the future bodies who will do them awful, samey jobs which keeps the nation ticking. This why I support Alan Johnson's decision to extend schooling supervision to 18 because to the ages of 16-18 is when these kids should thrive.

Troublesome at an earlier and increasingly earlier age are picking up the traits of our current 'underclass'.

The govt./bodies need to realise that in the dearest respect these are the future bodies who will do them awful, samey jobs which keeps the nation ticking.

Isn't that why the Govt. keep insisting they need to bring migrant workers in, to do those sorts of jobs?

Isn't that why the Govt. keep insisting they need to bring migrant workers in, to do those sorts of jobs?

But it's not the Govt. is it?!? It's the paymasters who want bigger profit margins. Migrants are coming here off their own back, we are not inviting them over here. Kosovans yes under Political asylum but the new additions to the EU isn't the work of the govt. advertising.

Pawel and Karol spot the opportunity when the EU came into force. Initially it was ok, people paid the same wage, work evenly divided. But then people started to take advantage and as more and more Pawel's and Karol's came over, the market/system became incredibly unkind to migrants or young lads looking for work.

However, of course with this I must say that housing has gone up hence govt. happy, hence no real action to find a cure/way.

Last edited:
Every rule has an exception........... :icon_lol:

Anyway, were you still a **** at school therefore risking the cane again or did you wait until you left when there was no more cane?

No, I was a right **** at school, only slightly improved after I was kicked out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Liverpool512
2Manchester C  412
3Aston Villa512
4Chelsea510
5Arsenal410
6Newcastle510
7Brighton48
8Fulham58
9Nottm F48