train tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Train buffs please.:)

As per usual, moi is confused.

I want to travel to London on Sat 10th October.
Just checking on the National Rail enquires site, and it appears that i still cant buy an advance ticket.
How long before a departure date can you usually buy advance tickets ?

It depends on the train company. With most it's until 18:00 on the day before travel; a few sell them right up until midnight.

That's not to say that there will be any left by then - when they've gone, they've gone.

It depends on the train company. With most it's until 18:00 on the day before travel; a few sell them right up until midnight.

That's not to say that there will be any left by then - when they've gone, they've gone.

Boc, i want to buy one a.s.a.p.
What i'd like to know is why when my travel date is under 4 wks away, i still cant get an advance ticket. The info they give on their web page seems to indicate that you should be able to purchase much further in advance than 4wks.

Here's another one for you (but please answer Brauny Blue's question first so he doesn't get upset):

I booked flights to London Gatwick today for 2-5 December. As you know, we play Forest away on the 5th. As you also know, the match kicks off at 13.00.

What you didn't know, but you do now, is that my flight home from Gatwick is 19.35 on the same day.

So my question is, can I get from City Ground to Gatwick Airport (South Terminal) in time to catch my flight? I guess I will have to pay more than usual, something I am prepared to do as it is a match of quite some importance and prestige.

Thank you.

The journey takes just over 3 hours. The earliest train you could hope to catch would be the 15:28 - and that would only be if we were to be let straight out of the ground and you knew exactly where you were going. (Stadium -> Station = 20 minutes). That would get you to Gatwick Airport station at 18:30 (or 18:15) if you were able to get across London quickly. I think most people would regard this as being too near the final check-in time. And remember, you might not be able to catch the 15:28. It's all very risky. Sorry, I can't be more positive about it.

It's too early to know what the cheapest available fare might be. The Super Off-Peak Return for the journey is £60.50

Boc, i want to buy one a.s.a.p.
What i'd like to know is why when my travel date is under 4 wks away, i still cant get an advance ticket. The info they give on their web page seems to indicate that you should be able to purchase much further in advance than 4wks.

Sorry - I misunderstood what you were asking.

I've checked the ATOC site for the EMT booking horizon. It tells me that seats can not be reserved on EMT trains on your date. This means that Advance tickets will not be available.

Megatrain.com have cheap tickets available on a very limited selection of services that day at prices from £5 single.

I've checked the ATOC site for the EMT booking horizon. It tells me that seats can not be reserved on EMT trains on your date. This means that Advance tickets will not be available.

Oh blimey !!

Any sort of reason why they would not sell advance tickets?
Its not a bank holiday weekend:102:

Oh blimey !!

Any sort of reason why they would not sell advance tickets?
Its not a bank holiday weekend:102:

The problem is that they are not offering reservations that day and an Advance ticket must be for a reserved seat. It sometimes means that they expect services to be severely disrupted on the particular date, but I can't see any engineering work or anything similar scheduled for that day.
The same thing applies on 10, 17 October and 7 November.

The problem is that they are not offering reservations that day and an Advance ticket must be for a reserved seat. It sometimes means that they expect services to be severely disrupted on the particular date, but I can't see any engineering work or anything similar scheduled for that day.

O.K

Cheers Boc :icon_bigg

The journey takes just over 3 hours. The earliest train you could hope to catch would be the 15:28 - and that would only be if we were to be let straight out of the ground and you knew exactly where you were going. (Stadium -> Station = 20 minutes). That would get you to Gatwick Airport station at 18:30 (or 18:15) if you were able to get across London quickly. I think most people would regard this as being too near the final check-in time. And remember, you might not be able to catch the 15:28. It's all very risky. Sorry, I can't be more positive about it.

It's too early to know what the cheapest available fare might be. The Super Off-Peak Return for the journey is £60.50

I take it the game is on TV as it's an early kickoff or is that due to other reasons? Might be a safer bet to watch it in London then.

Last edited:
I take it the game is on TV as it's an early kickoff or is that due to other reasons? Might be a safer bet to watch it in London then.

The game will not be on TV. It has been moved on police advice.

Sorry.

O.K

Cheers Boc :icon_bigg

It is possible that the problem is that some engineering work is pencilled in for that date but is not definite yet. There is still a chance that reservations and advance tickets might become available - or they might not. I know that is not very helpful.

Have you had a look at megatrain.com? If any of their times suit you, I would book with them. That is what I have done for the shaggers game the following weekend - £16.50 return, including booking fee.

I'm coming up by train tomorrow. I'll see if I can find out what is happening on these dates and let you know.

What time is the next train to Burnley from Church & Oswaldtwistle ?

What time is the next train to Burnley from Church & Oswaldtwistle ?

They leave at 56 minutes past the hour - journey time 19 minutes to Burnley Central.

I was looking at prices to London on 7 November, so thanks for the heads up on that. I thought I was going mad!

On a brighter note, I managed to get a ticket on the Rugby - Euston train for a fiver instead, which is loads cheaper than any EMT advance single!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669