Training up average midfielders to become defenders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yvonne

Just an idea, but obvious to me. Why can't Roger's just like he did Ndidi train up quick but average midfielders to become defenders ? Diabetes and others going nowhere in their careers could be tempted with the lure of a new contact and wage increase if they can make the transition.

Just an idea, but obvious to me. Why can't Roger's just like he did Ndidi train up quick but average midfielders to become defenders ? Diabetes and others going nowhere in their careers could be tempted with the lure of a new contact and wage increase if they can make the transition.
Ndidi was a defender before he was a midfielder, so that didn’t require a great deal of new skills. Fusilli Diabetes has been an attacker his whole football career, and hasn’t shown enough competence at that to be considered for a first team place. It’s highly improbable that he would acquire the necessary shift in skill profile quick enough to be a first-team level defender by the end of his career, let alone his contract.

Vaguely remember that Slimani looks to me more than a little like a stopper who's been given the striker's jersey by mistake..... but appearances can be very deceptive.

Why on earth would a bang average, bordering on the completely shite, midfielder become anything more than a totally shite defender? It’s a completely different skill set

If they’d shown any previous ability in that area, don’t you think that they would have displayed that through years and years going through academies/youth teams/professional teams ?

Dont you think one of the countless experienced, professional coaches that they have been involved with throughout their footballing journey might have spotted a potential for them to perform an alternative role ?

Why on earth would anyone pay squilions of pounds for a Van Dyke or Ramos or Koulibaly when they just can go and pay peanuts for some strong quick bloke from somewhere and turn him into a centre back ?

Wibble

Why on earth would a bang average, bordering on the completely shite, midfielder become anything more than a totally shite defender? It’s a completely different skill set

If they’d shown any previous ability in that area, don’t you think that they would have displayed that through years and years going through academies/youth teams/professional teams ?

Dont you think one of the countless experienced, professional coaches that they have been involved with throughout their footballing journey might have spotted a potential for them to perform an alternative role ?

Why on earth would anyone pay squilions of pounds for a Van Dyke or Ramos or Koulibaly when they just can go and pay peanuts for some strong quick bloke from somewhere and turn him into a centre back ?

Wibble

Wayne Rooney said I was the best centre back he'd ever faced.

Dion Dublin.

And I bet he'd have cleared those bloody terraced houses along Burnmoor Street in no time as well.

I hear all of your replies and agree with most. But as we are in dire need of defenders and cash is in short supply, surely this has to be the way to go.

Who’s Roger?

I hear all of your replies and agree with most. But as we are in dire need of defenders and cash is in short supply, surely this has to be the way to go.

No it’s not - it’s an absolutely ludicrous idea that no Club has ever done before.

Mainly because it’s an absolutely ludicrous idea

No it’s not - it’s an absolutely ludicrous idea that no Club has ever done before.

Why ? Who says what position you are best suited to play ? Methinks it's laid out when you're a kid and you just accept it. If as a club you need defenders but don't have the money what is the alternative ?

We've done it in reverse a few times

Ajax train there players in multiple positions right from the academy into the 1st team, hasn't worked out to badly for them.

Why ? Who says what position you are best suited to play ? Methinks it's laid out when you're a kid and you just accept it. If as a club you need defenders but don't have the money what is the alternative ?

Players find their best position when they are developing. For example, Choudhury was a right back in the youth team. He evolved into a midfielder. I think Chilwell went the other way and joined City as a midfielder before ending up at full back.

I do agree that managers and players don't consider more positional flexibility when they should. When we used to throw Walsh or Elliott up front regularly, it was because it worked. Nowadays managers are so up their own arses with their philosophies that they wouldn't dream of such a move.

There is something about putting someone up front that is less risky though. It is a position that can handle some unpredictability. Taking a forward minded player and putting him into a role that demands more discipline is too dangerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4490
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4469
8Coventry City4363