Trains to London

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im off to London on 31st October and returning late evening on the 1st Nov. Im think im going to drive and leave the car at Stanmore (im going Wembley on the Friday night and into the centre of London on the Saturday). How much would the train be for this o wise ones?

Im off to London on 31st October and returning late evening on the 1st Nov. Im think im going to drive and leave the car at Stanmore (im going Wembley on the Friday night and into the centre of London on the Saturday). How much would the train be for this o wise ones?

I'm not clear what fares you are asking for.

What Stanmore to Wembley on the Tube ? You want to book in advance ??

If you mean the tube fares....it's currently £7 for a day rover and the car parking is something like £3.

Sorry I was asking if it would be cheaper to go to London on the train. i.e. Hinckley to London on the Friday afternoon and back again late sat evening. I am staying in the centre of London not to far from Victoria station. Ignore the tube bit I know about that.

Sorry I was asking if it would be cheaper to go to London on the train. i.e. Hinckley to London on the Friday afternoon and back again late sat evening. I am staying in the centre of London not to far from Victoria station. Ignore the tube bit I know about that.

There are Advance Singles still available from £14 for both outward and return journey. But please note that the 20:55 departure from St Pancras on a Saturday is the last one to have a connection at Leicester for Hinckley. This ticket is in effect includes a free Hinckley add-on to the ordinary Leicester fare.

There are Advance Singles still available from £14 for both outward and return journey. But please note that the 20:55 departure from St Pancras on a Saturday is the last one to have a connection at Leicester for Hinckley. This ticket is in effect includes a free Hinckley add-on to the ordinary Leicester fare.

£28 quid each is pretty cheap. Cheers for the help boc.

£28 quid each is pretty cheap. Cheers for the help boc.

From £28 - they're not available on all trains, but at the time of writing you should be able to find a time to suit your needs.

From £28 - they're not available on all trains, but at the time of writing you should be able to find a time to suit your needs.

oh right ill have a look then

i always go Nuneaton <--> Euston

£32 in advance or on the day

i always go Nuneaton <--> Euston

£32 in advance or on the day

That will be a particularly unpleasant journey on the day that fcukcov wants to return because there are no trains on the direct line between Rugby and Stafford and therefore no Virgin trains stopping at Nuneaton. The last train is the 19:03 from Euston and that requires a wait of almost 1½ hours in Coventry for a local train to Nuneaton - over 3 hours for a throughout journey of not much more than 100 miles.

I don't know when you last did the journey but I am afraid that your £32 ticket is no more. The off-peak return is now £36.70 and is the cheapest ticket available on the day. In most cases it remains cheaper to book in advance.

That will be a particularly unpleasant journey on the day that fcukcov wants to return because there are no trains on the direct line between Rugby and Stafford and therefore no Virgin trains stopping at Nuneaton. The last train is the 19:03 from Euston and that requires a wait of almost 1½ hours in Coventry for a local train to Nuneaton - over 3 hours for a throughout journey of not much more than 100 miles.

I don't know when you last did the journey but I am afraid that your £32 ticket is no more. The off-peak return is now £36.70 and is the cheapest ticket available on the day. In most cases it remains cheaper to book in advance.

aah. yes it is riddled with engineering works at weekends :( i usually come up friday (19:17) and back down on monday (07:07)

and fair (fare!) point about the rise, i didn't know that...

What ya think to Nuneaton Station, Darth? Had a barrel of laughs there yesterday for a hour

the cafes are nicely idiosyncratic and not your usual SSP ones (like Leicester) one has model trains and the other one lets you put coins in the pot for your paper

nothing much else there...beats Coventry and it's bloody awful garden and poetry quotes

i like the new St Pancras

on the virgin line now after shouting "exit" to the automated shit for two minutes...

i bought an offpeak return for £32 about a month ago...now they say they dont know when offpeak returns are available or how much it will cost

wankers

oh and "richard" on the line speaks as much english as i do hindi

hmmmm

it appears the £32 does still exist, but god knows how i managed to come back on the 07:07 on it before

Attachments

Just reading snippets of this post has reinforced my view that rail travel in England is horrifically expensive.

Are these the types of prices designed to get people out of cars? If so someone needs sacking.

On a similar note, I realised after taking the bus to work for the first time today that it is massively cheaper for me to drive to work than use the local transport. On to and from work alone I only spend £6 a week, to use the bus would be £3.40 a day.

Arriva can go **** themselves.

Last edited:
Are these the types of prices designed to get people out of cars?

I'm about to buy train tickets from Carlisle to Leicester and back for less than £20. It would cost me three times that much in petrol, in addition to the wear and tear and depreciation the 450 miles would cost, and the stress of dealing with the idiots on the M6.

On a similar note, I realised after taking the bus to work for the first time today that it is massively cheaper for me to drive to work than use the local transport. On to and from work alone I only spend £6 a week, to use the bus would be £3.40 a day.

Arriva can go **** themselves.

An Arriva weekly ticket costs £11. That's £2.20 a day if you use it five days a week. If you had to pay for car parking the bus would be a lot cheaper.

I'm about to buy train tickets from Carlisle to Leicester and back for less than £20. It would cost me three times that much in petrol, in addition to the wear and tear and depreciation the 450 miles would cost, and the stress of dealing with the idiots on the M6.

An Arriva weekly ticket costs £11. That's £2.20 a day if you use it five days a week. If you had to pay for car parking the bus would be a lot cheaper.

Luckily I have a car space where I work. For saying it's only about 3 stops on the bus I just cannot believe the price of bus travel these days.

As for the train, no doubt there are some good deals to be had if you book way in advance, but the way people can get stinged on a simple Leicester to London journey just because they did not book 12 years ago is crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Arsenal410
3Newcastle410
4Liverpool49
5Aston Villa49
6Brighton48
7Nottm F48
8Chelsea47
9Brentford46