Post Match Watford 0 Leicester 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surprised this took as long as it did to get a mention here. As much as I like Schmeichel, his decision making at times is questionable. A few times he needlessly came out of his goal to close down and just made himself look a bit of a tit, not helped by the second half performance of Schlupp, who like a few have mentioned seem to run out of legs.

To me it seems like Kasper has this urge to get himself involved in the game when he has no need to.

If he didn't have his foibles then he'd be in the top division.

If he didn't have his foibles then he'd be in the top division.

Joe Hart? Been nowhere near as good as he was for a season and a half and Man City and England have kept faith until now. I was surprised that Man City didn't go in for another keeper during the summer. It's the same here, nobody is pushing Kasper/Hart for his shirt because Logan/Pantilimon/Forster/Ruddy aren't quite good enough or aren't favoured by the manager or whatever. I'm not suggesting dropping him but I can't help but feel his form has dipped and I can't see any other explanation than a lack of competition leading to a slight bit of laziness.

Nigel has always talked about having competition for place and keeping people on their toes. Realistically our only player that doesn't have any competition is Kasper and who is the only one who is perhaps slightly dipping in performance?

Joe Hart? Been nowhere near as good as he was for a season and a half and Man City and England have kept faith until now. I was surprised that Man City didn't go in for another keeper during the summer. It's the same here, nobody is pushing Kasper/Hart for his shirt because Logan/Pantilimon/Forster/Ruddy aren't quite good enough or aren't favoured by the manager or whatever. I'm not suggesting dropping him but I can't help but feel his form has dipped and I can't see any other explanation than a lack of competition leading to a slight bit of laziness.

Nigel has always talked about having competition for place and keeping people on their toes. Realistically our only player that doesn't have any competition is Kasper and who is the only one who is perhaps slightly dipping in performance?
I've only seen him "in the flesh" once this season. That was vs Huddersfield and there wasn't much dipping then! Based on tv games and highlights, I would say he has gained us more points than he has cost us (B'pool and Donny springs to mind...)

I've only seen him "in the flesh" once this season. That was vs Huddersfield and there wasn't much dipping then! Based on tv games and highlights, I would say he has gained us more points than he has cost us (B'pool and Donny springs to mind...)

Maybe because of his lack of mistakes previous to this season my expectations have been raised, but I do think the lack of competition is a contributing factor, perhaps his lack of signing a new deal too.

Maybe because of his lack of mistakes previous to this season my expectations have been raised, but I do think the lack of competition is a contributing factor, perhaps his lack of signing a new deal too.

I would expect a player in the last year of his contract to make sure he performs at the top of his ability. It's what happens a lot in American sports.

I would expect a player in the last year of his contract to make sure he performs at the top of his ability. It's what happens a lot in American sports.
That's because in the major American sports, there are only so many contracts available. If you don't play at the top of your game there's a very good chance your next contract will be a lot smaller than your current one - if you get offered one at all. Because there are no real limits on how many players a football club can sign, and there's massive pressure on managers to bring instant results, a half-decent player can reasonably expect to be offered a contract pretty quickly. In fact, they don't even have to be that good. Most of the time, agents sell their clients on reputation. Compare that to the US, where the performance of every sportsperson is boiled down to bare statistics.

Think about this hypothetical. It's 2019. Tom Brady is a free agent. Atlanta just went 1-15 for the season and have an awful QB. Brady is obviously a big name but last season he started 14 games and threw 1800 yards. The season before he threw 2000. Do the Falcons sign him up on big famous guy money or wait for the draft to grab a shiny new rookie? Exactly. But in football, a 30+ former England striker who has scored five goals in the last two seasons will get a one-year deal somewhere else. And then somewhere else. And so on, until he decides to retire. The incentive just isn't there.

You would think so, but with the inevitable interest Schmeichel generates purely from name, means that he's likely to get a Premier League team make him an offer regardless of this season and his performance. If we get promoted he gets what he wants and he's a Premier League keeper, if we don't he fecks off and he's still a Premier League keeper.

I've moved off my point slightly here but I was simply saying that maybe his lack of competition, much like Joe Hart, is causing a slight lack of form compared to previous seasons.

That's because in the major American sports, there are only so many contracts available. If you don't play at the top of your game there's a very good chance your next contract will be a lot smaller than your current one - if you get offered one at all. Because there are no real limits on how many players a football club can sign, and there's massive pressure on managers to bring instant results, a half-decent player can reasonably expect to be offered a contract pretty quickly. In fact, they don't even have to be that good. Most of the time, agents sell their clients on reputation. Compare that to the US, where the performance of every sportsperson is boiled down to bare statistics.

Think about this hypothetical. It's 2019. Tom Brady is a free agent. Atlanta just went 1-15 for the season and have an awful QB. Brady is obviously a big name but last season he started 14 games and threw 1800 yards. The season before he threw 2000. Do the Falcons sign him up on big famous guy money or wait for the draft to grab a shiny new rookie? Exactly. But in football, a 30+ former England striker who has scored five goals in the last two seasons will get a one-year deal somewhere else. And then somewhere else. And so on, until he decides to retire. The incentive just isn't there.

Whilst I understand what you're saying BM, that's not really the point I was making. Kasper has an ok season, and he gets a nice shiny new one as a free agent. Kasper has a better season, and he gets a bigger shiny new contract as a free agent.

Whilst I understand what you're saying BM, that's not really the point I was making. Kasper has an ok season, and he gets a nice shiny new one as a free agent. Kasper has a better season, and he gets a bigger shiny new contract as a free agent.
There's not really a lot of difference. Whether he plays like shite or not for the rest of his contract, the fact is he'll have more or less the same interest in him. He's shown what he can do and clubs with bigger chequebooks (mid-to-lower end of the Premier League) can take a chance on him possibly fulfilling his potential. Barring a horrible injury, he gets paid more next year than this, and it almost doesn't matter how well he plays. It's certainly not essential that he steps up his game.

There's not really a lot of difference. Whether he plays like shite or not for the rest of his contract, the fact is he'll have more or less the same interest in him. He's shown what he can do and clubs with bigger chequebooks (mid-to-lower end of the Premier League) can take a chance on him possibly fulfilling his potential. Barring a horrible injury, he gets paid more next year than this, and it almost doesn't matter how well he plays. It's certainly not essential that he steps up his game.

I don't doubt for one second that his new contract will be a good one either way, one that us normal people can only dream of. We would see little difference between, say, 25K per week and 30K per week. But the fact remains that if he has a better season this year, then instead of 2 or 3 clubs chasing him, then suddenly it's 4 or 5 teams. An extra 5K per week on a 4 year contract is £1million, something I'm sure Kasper (and his agent) are well aware of.

I don't doubt for one second that his new contract will be a good one either way, one that us normal people can only dream of. We would see little difference between, say, 25K per week and 30K per week. But the fact remains that if he has a better season this year, then instead of 2 or 3 clubs chasing him, then suddenly it's 4 or 5 teams. An extra 5K per week on a 4 year contract is £1million, something I'm sure Kasper (and his agent) are well aware of.
Indeed. Depressing.

The football agent that I spoke to last week says Kasper isn't good enough to play in the top division of any of the bigger European leagues so there is no chance he'll be going :102:

The football agent that I spoke to last week says Kasper isn't good enough to play in the top division of any of the bigger European leagues so there is no chance he'll be going :102:

I think Kasper is an excellent keeper and would do a very decent job in the Premier League. Yes, he occasionally drops a clanger but very few keepers don't. I rate him as our best keeper since Flowers and we'll probably only truly appreciate just how good he has been for us when he's gone.

The other thing that has always impressed me about him is his decision to leave Man City when he was 20/21 for first team football. He's spent the last six years playing league games when he could have earned as much, if not more, sat on a Premier League teams bench. There are plenty that make a career that way, like our own reserve keeper. Kasper wants to play every game, he is passionate about every game and he seems like a thoroughly top bloke.

Of all the players going out of contract this summer, he is the one I'd be most keen on getting to sign a new contract.

I think Kasper is an excellent keeper and would do a very decent job in the Premier League. Yes, he occasionally drops a clanger but very few keepers don't. I rate him as our best keeper since Flowers and we'll probably only truly appreciate just how good he has been for us when he's gone.

The other thing that has always impressed me about him is his decision to leave Man City when he was 20/21 for first team football. He's spent the last six years playing league games when he could have earned as much, if not more, sat on a Premier League teams bench. There are plenty that make a career that way, like our own reserve keeper. Kasper wants to play every game, he is passionate about every game and he seems like a thoroughly top bloke.

Of all the players going out of contract this summer, he is the one I'd be most keen on getting to sign a new contract.
Completely agree!

His shot stopping prowess is second to none and that combined with his name will be enough to get him through. He is our best keeper since Flowers. His decision making can be erratic at times which stops him from becoming the finished article.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669