Post Match Watford 0 Leicester 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Schlupp's greatest defensive trait yesterday was his attacking. Having him and Dyer coming down the left at pace made it difficult for them to get forward down the right as much as they'd have liked.

But Schlupp's postitioning as a defender isn't great and was caught out several times, particularly in the second half. Anya is a good player, but I think Konch would've handled it better.

But as I say, having Schlupp attacking down the left made a big impact.

Having not watched the match live, I was surprised by the highlights given all of the comments on here. Watford looked like they could easily have scored a few, and our goals all had an element of fortune.

Still, a fantastic result and a tough place to go.

we had about five free headers that should have been goals. didnt show them on the highlights as only 'half chances'. we should have converted a couple of them. we were much better than watford yesterday. as an away side, we controlled much of the game, save about 15 mins when we were two up.

I don't want to pick fault with a very good performance but Watford should have scored at least two yesterday. At the start of the second half, a goal for them looked inevitable. Let's not get carried away. Great start though. Onwards and upwards.

Their best chances certainly came down our left side, but that was only when Fabbrini came on, and he's a very creative player. The best thing Schlupp did was press Anya back and we intercepted so many passes as we doubled up on their wing-backs, their only real outlet.

The most pleasing thing about the performance for me was how we pressed them all over the pitch, it was the perfect away performance in many ways. We didn't try to impose our game on them, but exploited their weaknesses. Such fantastic work rate all over the pitch made them look flustered and we picked them off when we forced errors.

Morgan had his best game in a while, Deeney may be a man out of form but they get a lot of players around him and that's where Watford threaten most. Wes and Wasilewski blocked out everything they could and Drinkwater and King mopped up beautifully around the edge of the box.

It was a very disciplined performance and Pearson got everything spot on yesterday, yet again making the right substitions at the right time to kill the game off. Gary Taylor-Fletcher did very well when he came on too, it was a lovely bit of control to set Lloyd away for the third.

I've lost count of the positives from the game, it was the best all round performance I've seen us give in ages.

Last edited:
Mick.

Not sure what you are referring to in my post? I will say though they had some chances, we did too and looked good value for the win.

Certainly not getting carried away, just think Schlupp played well and offers something Konchesky doesn't. I'd keep him in the side.

I was referring to your point about keeping a clean sheet. I thought we were very fortunate to do so and perhaps the scoreline was a little generous on us. Nevertheless, we are riding high at the moment and things are looking very promising.

we had about five free headers that should have been goals. didnt show them on the highlights as only 'half chances'. we should have converted a couple of them. we were much better than watford yesterday. as an away side, we controlled much of the game, save about 15 mins when we were two up.
5-2 may have been a better reflection perhaps.

My first away game since Sheff Wed last Dec................what a transformation. Pace, passion, commitment and we pressed them so high up the field. We started like a train, passing them off the park, picking up the bits & pieces. First goal was lucky but reflected our pressing, the 2nd a result of great passing and work from Schlupp and the 3rd from a great piece of skill from GTF. Defensively superb - good positioning, blocks at crucial times and organisation from Was meant we had it relatively comfortable. Pearson got the tactics spot on - we should fear no-one in this league and I thought we'd go with a 4-5-1 and take a point. Far from it, we took the game to them and dominated. Shouldn't get ahead of ourselves but so many positives from the game............and a great day out!

From the TV my player ratings would be:

Schmeichel - 7

Schlupp - 7
Morgan - 8
Wasileski - 8
Moore - 8

Dyer - 8
Drinkwater - 8.5
King - 8
Knockaert - 8

Nugent - 7
Wood - 7

Main points:
- Schlupp defensively frail in terms of positioning but made up for it with excellent attacking play.
- Drinkwater MOTM, dictating the play. Pass completion must be very high.
- King similar to Drinkwater but did not impose himself on the play as much.
- Moore outstanding in defense and attack.
- The front two worked hard but were not really stand out. Nugent should have done a lot better with his header.

I would be very interested if people saw the performances differently.

I don't think Nugent did a great deal to influence the game, should have scored his header, maybe a 5? I thought King covered a lot of ground but didn't do a great deal, stood and watched in the first half as one of theirs had 2 attempts to score, Kasper making a double save. Giving him 8 is plain daft.

Schmeichel made some important stops but then did some daft charging out his box. Maybe a low 8.

Drinkie MOTM.

Schlupp is still learning but Konch is definitely the better defender.

Since those few games he was dropped and rumoured to be leaving Konch has been excellent.

You just don't win 0-3 away from home do you? It just doesn't happen!

What an absolutely perfect performance and BRING ON FOREST.

(I also agree that the "Leicester fans" on Watford forums are really embarrasing themselves).

I prefer Schlupp at LB to Konchesky. People seem to be forgetting that Konchesky's positioning and reading of the game defensively is sometimes a bit suspect. Schlupp gives us more going forward to. There is a notable improvement in Jeff's game over last season IMO, his ball control seems a lot better in particular.

MOM against Watford for me was Drinkwater. I real motor in the midfield making things tick. The new Polish fella gives us something we have been missing for a long time to, so refreshing to see such commitment when a player throws himself infront of a long piledriver of a shot, it bought back memories of players like Elliott and Taggart :)

is there some way we can vote Woods's goal as goal of the season?

I don't think Nugent did a great deal to influence the game, should have scored his header, maybe a 5? I thought King covered a lot of ground but didn't do a great deal, stood and watched in the first half as one of theirs had 2 attempts to score, Kasper making a double save. Giving him 8 is plain daft.

Schmeichel made some important stops but then did some daft charging out his box. Maybe a low 8.

Drinkie MOTM.

Surprised this took as long as it did to get a mention here. As much as I like Schmeichel, his decision making at times is questionable. A few times he needlessly came out of his goal to close down and just made himself look a bit of a tit, not helped by the second half performance of Schlupp, who like a few have mentioned seem to run out of legs.

To me it seems like Kasper has this urge to get himself involved in the game when he has no need to.

There is a notable improvement in Jeff's game over last season IMO, his ball control seems a lot better in particular.

I'd say it was the first time this season I saw anything from him of note. He's been disappointing this season. I thought he was very good first half and then seemingly went missing after the second goal. Same could be said of Moore for me. They were finding the channel which the full-back looks after rather too often until Zola made a boob in switching Anya and Nige playing Drinkwater on the right.

Absolutely super result. I find Watford's fans attempts to make out this game didn't mean anything rather baffling. Watford attempts at playing down the game played into our hands (and the foolish act of showing Deeney's goal pre-match). The battle for promotion is psychological as much as about playing ability (Saturday's game is another test of that ability). The claims that this game means nothing is daft; it's what makes a football season. We can take a great deal of confidence from the result, it was our first test on paper and we surpassed it well. Other teams are showing weaknesses whilst we look strong; the players who came in played well, the subs came on and did very well.

If this season teaches Leicester City fans anything is that a manager should be given time provided there's always encouragement being shown in the performances. Also a manager should be judged on the very least half of a season barring disaster. The squad is shaping up well and we looked better than the likes of Watford for it. At the moment, the only thing I'd like to see arrive in January is another winger to push Knockaert and Dyer.

Last edited:
Surprised this took as long as it did to get a mention here. As much as I like Schmeichel, his decision making at times is questionable. A few times he needlessly came out of his goal to close down and just made himself look a bit of a tit, not helped by the second half performance of Schlupp, who like a few have mentioned seem to run out of legs.

To me it seems like Kasper has this urge to get himself involved in the game when he has no need to.

Some of us did earlier this season but it was dismissed as being harsh. Kasper has not been signed by a PL team for a very good reason; the lack of composure.

It might have seemed rash after the event, but did they score, NO.

Kasper stays on his line, bloke gets closer shoots and scores, why didn't you come out Kasper?

Guess he can't win :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670