Watford snap up Williams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got back from work.. not sure what to think about Williams, I think he was our best midfielder but having said that if his contract was up at the end of the season then it's highly likely he would have ****ed off anyway.

As for the two loan signings, I think Geoff Horsfield could be very handy for us, at this level, a very experienced forward should hopefully do wanders as it's something we've missed for a long time. Dunno what to think of the other chap but atleast it covers up Williams departure a bit.

its a bit worrying actually that Rob says he was discussing a new contract, and then the club sold him. and Williams comments on the Watford site suggest he has known of there interest for a couple of weeks, and has been watching their results.

I know people don't really rate RK but i think its bad if the manager is being left in the dark as this implies

Not sure he was left in the dark - more likely his hands were tied on what he may have been able to offer Williams.

Just got in after a couple of days away so I haven't had time to read the whole thead, but to respond to some of the things people have said that I read while I was on the train...

What we need if we're in a battle is players who will pull together for the cause, not players who disappear when the going gets tough. Williams may be a decent player in a winning team, but too often he's anonymous, so we're better off without him.

If he hadn't signed for Watford today he may well have signed a pre-contract agreement to join them in the summer. If he knows he's not going to be here next season and he's not playing for a move because he's already lined up a new club he's going to put in even less effort than normal, so even less worth a place in the team.

The fact that we got a fee for him, however small, is a bonus. We'll also be saving around £100,000 in wages by getting rid of him now.

Someone suggested we should not have let him go for less than we paid for him. You're living in cloud cuckoo land if you think anyone's going to pay that for him when they could just wait until the summer and get him for nothing.

Someone also mentioned something about the trees getting a percentage of the fee. Sell-on payments like this are usually based on a percentage of the profit, and we won't have made a profit.

Manu 4 Watford 0

Looks like they landed Williams just in the nick of time:icon_cool

The more I think about this deal, the more pleased I am that the lazy floppy haired fop of a twat has gone

It was bleedin' obvious he was going to leave in the summer, so I can't see why anyone is surprised by this move (apart from the fact that he's gone to a Prem club, allbeit a seriosuly endangered one).

He's never mentioned extending his contract, and neither have the club. He's never really pinned down a guaranteed first team spot in two-and-a-half years (apart from maybe the past few months when not injured).

But it does leave us incredibly thin in centre midfield though. Maybe Andy King is going to be moved up from the youth team. He keeps scoring from midfield, which would be a novelty.

It's also a shame that yet another player leaves LCFC without coming close to fulfilling his potential. We're like a graveyard for careers...

Last edited:
Oh, and you've got to have a little laugh at Watford...

"We're in a real relegation scrap boss, we need some battlers. Who should we sign?"

"Hmmm, maybe that tough-tackling Scot from Leicester..."

:082:

"We're in a real relegation scrap boss, we need some battlers. Who should we sign?"

:biggrin: :038:

another contender for post of the year!

:081:

However, having seen Watford a couple of times recently, they seem to have degenerated into kick and rush cloggers (with some dreadful gamesmanship thrown in). Maybe they needed one midfielder who could stand still. Perversely, he might actually do rather better for them than us.

:081:

However, having seen Watford a couple of times recently, they seem to have degenerated into kick and rush cloggers

Like last season then? I couldn't believe it when they went up, the four points we had off them should defo have been six. Very mediocre side.

I don't dare believe we managed to get 250k for Walliams. If so I shall never brook one word of criticism of the board again, they are absolute geniuses (genii?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566