Speculation Wayne Routledge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why limit our ambitions to a 40 goal a season striker.

Tin pot club. Tin pot ambitions.

Phil Gee would get 55 in this division if he stayed injury and mullet free.

Well it seems he wont be coming,....but on a more serious note we seem to have our defence pretty well covered now ,but we should be looking up front now ,we wont get into the playoffs with nil,nil draws for the rest of the season, Steve Howard will be knackerd by christmas, we must get this 40 goal a season man pretty fast.

Give Nugent a chance, he's hardly played yet. Plus we know Sven is working on bringing some kind of other striker in too, we just don't know who it'll be yet.

And 40 a goal a season striker? Name the last Championship team which got promoted with a 40 goal striker. Actually, name one that got promoted with a 30 goal striker - I think you'll struggle to find one. Goals have to come from everywhere in the team - a 15-20 goal a season striker would be ideal, and as long as everyone else is pitching in with goals too (like last season) it'll see us score enough to get promoted.

Give Nugent a chance, he's hardly played yet. Plus we know Sven is working on bringing some kind of other striker in too, we just don't know who it'll be yet.

And 40 a goal a season striker? Name the last Championship team which got promoted with a 40 goal striker. Actually, name one that got promoted with a 30 goal striker - I think you'll struggle to find one. Goals have to come from everywhere in the team - a 15-20 goal a season striker would be ideal, and as long as everyone else is pitching in with goals too (like last season) it'll see us score enough to get promoted.

alli is referring to Jeff's amusing post stating that we needed a 40 a season striker or we would be relegated. I think he's the only one that took the post seriously :icon_lol:

Last edited:
Well ill give you that rich i know a 40 goal a season man is asking alot to ask,infact ill go along with all you say,i just hope we can get this unknown striker ,i dont maynard is out of the frame yet ,so maybe just maybe ..

I think we need Larsson - 53 goals for Celtic 10 years ago. Probably could still manage 40 a year now, and he is Swedish. Sven, get him in!

Last season, it wasn't the scoring of goals that was the problem, but letting them in.
Defence is certainly taking a big stride towards the better.
If no other players come in, we should still have enough for a top6 finish.

If no other players come in, we should still have enough for a top6 finish.

I'm not so sure, remember we also lost arguably our main goal threat from last season and he needs replacing with someone of equal ability IMO. Goals win games, a stable defence is important but technically the best that's good for is a point a game.

I'm not so sure, remember we also lost arguably our main goal threat from last season and he needs replacing with someone of equal ability IMO. Goals win games, a stable defence is important but technically the best that's good for is a point a game.

I'm with HTB on this one, even before Yakubu came in we were doing well under SGE.

Actually, based on games from SGE's appointment on 3rd October until Yakubu came in 13 January we got as many points as any other team in the division in that period and only Forest got more points per game in that period (and they played 3 games less than us): http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/league-championship/2010-2011/custom-table

From what I remember our strikeforce at that time involved playing Vassell as a central striker (he was then shifted to the wing when Yakubu came in and looked a lot less effective out wide) with Gallagher and Dyer on the wings. We could still put out that front 3 right now and I reckon they'd be a very handy front 3 at this level.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570