We Must Get Fulop Back

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree we desperately need to solve the Goalkeeping situation but I disagree that we must pay over the odds for Fulop. It is clearly evident that we require several players and therefore we still need to be prudent with the funds that have been made available.

Therefore if Sunderland persist in their current valuation then I believe we should explore other possible avenues. I would also suggest that we could well need two keepers as it is clearly obvious that even if we did sign a quality keeper that should they suffer an injury then we would be fecked as we don't have a decent back up.

There must be keepers available better than our current one we can get for around 500,000 - 1 million.

Doyle - birmingham
Sorenson/taylor -villa
Walker - Bolton
?

Dundee's keep?

Avramov of Fiorentina would come here for a million fee and half a million a year contract.

Last edited:
as i've just said on another thread.... Sunderland paid £500,000 for Fulop this time last year and he only played 4 times for them. To put a price tag of 3m on him is shocking and unrealistic. There trying to recoop money for Gordon and taking advantage of Meelans money. There are better keepers out there for less than 3m. Get Fulop back now but don't spend stupid money on him

It's not really shocking - Sunderland have us over a barrel and they know it. They know our board want him, they know our management want him, they know our fans want him, they know he wants to come and they know that our other goalkeeping options are far, far from ideal. They're also not desperate for the cash, so they have no reason to sell unless they get a very, very good offer. I don't think we'll pay anywhere near £3MM for him, but I'm almost certain they won't accept an offer under the £1.2MM ish mark. Whether an agreement can be reached then I don't know, but I do think Sunderland will play the time game, not accept anything until near the end of January, by which time Hendo will have had 4 or 5 more shit games and we'll be even more desperate.

IMO we just need to be patient, and let the deal be concluded by the 2 clubs :icon_wink :023:

IMO we just need to be patient, and let the deal be concluded by the 2 clubs :icon_wink :023:

I agree with NF...

Sunderland and Keane are playing a shrewd game...Milan's rumoured £6m 'war chest' (pre-Howard) and our admiration for Fulop allow them to up the ante for a player they would have probably have let go for £750,000 earlier in the season....

Milan though has already had his fingers burned with us in the transfer market and is too shrewd a businessman to pay way over the odds...be patient and just hope no-one else with cash is in for hi...

I reckon we'll get him later this month for about £1.3M...probably with additional cash based on club performance and sell on incentives to keep the Mackems happy...

what's my speculation based on? f**k all really...other than optimism clouded by an underlying desperation brought on by the QPR game....

Better the player you know than one that has not been tried and tested
and we need a good goal keeper

If QPR go for Fulop i'd gladly take Lee Camp, different player but looked good yesterday.

3 million is laughable, he will not be going anywhere for that price it's all bluff and hard ball from Sunderland.

If he's worth that much and that highly regarded premiership teams would be after him or Sunderland would want to keep him.

The price will be decided in the near future - but if it's more than 1.5 then i think we're being mugged,

It will just be "undisclosed fee" if/when we sign him anyway, so no point in debating prices ;)

Last edited:
If Sunderland are calling our bluff, I'd like us to reciprocate and tell them to bog off. I certainly wouldn't pay more than £1m for him.

Am I alone in thinking that Marton is not the best thing since sliced bread?

I do think he's the best keeper we've had since Flowers. He's also the most commanding and confidence inspiring for donkey's years. However, this isn't in the face of much competition, it has to be said. Maybe we're so used to garbage in goal that the sight of an okay keeper has us drooling?

He's nothing more than an okay shot stopper, has been known to flap and hasn't set the world alight anywhere before now.

I've got a sneaking feeling that our all round solid defending over recent months has made him look a little better than he actually is.

I think £1.5m is too much and if we've got a spare £1m for a keeper, we could do better.

But how much has that came from the defence's ease with Fulop. If yesterday was anything to go by, it's all about it.

Great point. Kis and McAuley seemed to drop deeper than usual yesterday and we certainly didn't look as commanding. Whether this was due to them having a below par game or due to less confidence in Hendo I don't know. I do know that Mattock once again looked out of his depth as a defender.

For starters, the back 4 didn't dare give him a passback.

Me thinks poor Joe's confidence has shot it and he needs a rest from the first team.

I agree, he just isn't ready.

If Sunderland are calling our bluff, I'd like us to reciprocate and tell them to bog off. I certainly wouldn't pay more than £1m for him.

Am I alone in thinking that Marton is not the best thing since sliced bread?

I do think he's the best keeper we've had since Flowers. He's also the most commanding and confidence inspiring for donkey's years. However, this isn't in the face of much competition, it has to be said. Maybe we're so used to garbage in goal that the sight of an okay keeper has us drooling?

He's nothing more than an okay shot stopper, has been known to flap and hasn't set the world alight anywhere before now.

I've got a sneaking feeling that our all round solid defending over recent months has made him look a little better than he actually is.

I think £1.5m is too much and if we've got a spare £1m for a keeper, we could do better.

Agree with you BN, except that the defenders and goalie make each other look good. We should be able to get a decent goalie for £1m, Nobody in this team, including Fulop, is irreplaceable.

Fulop not included in the Sunderland squad for tonights game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Liverpool615
2Manchester C  614
3Arsenal614
4Chelsea613
5Aston Villa512
6Fulham611
7Newcastle611
8Brighton69
9Nottm F69