We need a new striker - But who ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jonathon Stead, or even that Gallagher one they're both very out of favour, it would have to be loan though. If Liverpool hadn't had all these injuries we could have tried to get Mellor, shame that.

Jason Euell, either on loan or on a (preferably) permanent basis would be absolutely fantastic in my humble opinion. He's apparantly unhappy at The Valley...

forget Ashton then

Alex resigned to Dean exit

Crewe manager Dario Gradi has resigned himself to losing Dean Ashton - but is hopeful that any move for the prolific striker will only come at the end of the current season.

The 21-year-old, linked recently with a move to Premiership sides Everton, Birmingham and Tottenham, was again instrumental as Crewe ground out a 1-1 draw with Glenn Hoddle's Wolves at Molineux.

SilverFox said:
Do you guys have a selective memory or something...We haven't got any pigging money!!!! :lol:

Apparently we had £100,000 to try and tempt Kirk from Boston Utd..

londonfox said:
Jason Euell, either on loan or on a (preferably) permanent basis would be absolutely fantastic in my humble opinion. He's apparantly unhappy at The Valley...

And completely out of our league, Fulham want him...He won't leave London and the Premiership, no way, not yet.

The answer to the thread question, is Andy Kirk from Boston Utd IMO, it's who CL wants and I for one want to trust him.

We have a limited budget that we went over when we brought in Taylor...whatever we spend, it takes us further over budget.

I'd like to see us offer Palace Scowy for shipperly in January...rekindle the old partnership with Connolly

i dont know if a change of striker would make a difference - you've got to ask why connolly has gone from 2 prolific seasons followed by a less spectular but still decent return last season to scoring jack all? he has missed chances but you have to look at the service as well, how many through balls do we play? how many low crosses do we get into the box? we rely on other teams mistakes and set pieces for pretty much all our goals, having a new stiker would make little difference unless we rectified this IMO

Country Fox said:
i dont know if a change of striker would make a difference - you've got to ask why connolly has gone from 2 prolific seasons followed by a less spectular but still decent return last season to scoring jack all? he has missed chances but you have to look at the service as well, how many through balls do we play? how many low crosses do we get into the box? we rely on other teams mistakes and set pieces for pretty much all our goals, having a new stiker would make little difference unless we rectified this IMO

You're right. Can't remeber which thread I posted it on, but we need a midfielder with a creative spark. Scowy was scoring goals when he was on the wing, but ever since he moved up front the goals have dried up...this highlights the fact the the midfielders are not producing quality balls that the forwards can score from.

id be shocked if ashton went for less than a 7 figure sum - hes only 21 yet is already prolific and has been for a while - given how much roberts and earnshaw have gone for in recent times i wouldnt be surprised if he cost 2 or 3 million.

btw dario gradi should get some kind of award - hes done an enormous amount for english football - crewe are a tiny club yet hes managed to create an amazing youth academy which has produced so many quality players - i hope crewe do well and move on up the league over time - they deserve to, they've done more for english football in the past 10 years than chelsea or arsenal

Country Fox said:
id be shocked if ashton went for less than a 7 figure sum - hes only 21 yet is already prolific and has been for a while - given how much roberts and earnshaw have gone for in recent times i wouldnt be surprised if he cost 2 or 3 million.

btw dario gradi should get some kind of award - hes done an enormous amount for english football - crewe are a tiny club yet hes managed to create an amazing youth academy which has produced so many quality players - i hope crewe do well and move on up the league over time - they deserve to, they've done more for english football in the past 10 years than chelsea or arsenal

They have wonderful training facilities and a wonderful academy...they just need a bit more ambition...and a new stadium to boot. At the moment they just seem to be happy with what they have. A bit of ambition and they could put themselves in the promotion dogfight!

Sadly though, amibition costs money in this buisness

i think all the cash has gone into the youth academy - i assume they have some longer term plan, maybe they think if they produce enough good players they wont need investment to improve, they can fund a promotion push and/or a new stadium on the back of player sales eventually

How about another League 2 striker....David Nugent of Bury. This kid has scored 11 goals in 22 starts and he is only 19. He has it all.....pace, strength and a great shot - I reckon we could sign him for £100,000. Apparently Man United had him scouted a short while ago and he turned them down. Looks promising for the future. :wink:

IF we had the money I'd sign someone like Dave Kitson of Reading or Mark de Vries of Hearts, but to be honest I don't think we could afford them.

I'm not sure about Riordan, you'll all probably say told you so oneday, but I don't think Riordan will step up higher than the SPL.

Shipperley would be alright or perhaps bring back Kevin Campbell on the right wages. If Paul Furlong & Brian Deane can bang in goals in this league, he certainly can.

Personally though I'd be after a creator like some of you guys said. I really think we miss Steve Guppy. Someone who can place that ball inch perfect to where the strikers want it.

I'd sack that many players & try to sign Claus Jensen though if it was me! Can't see that happening though.

Get Lionel Morgan, for the crosses on the left wing. He was at Wimbledon not sure now though. But he would be decent, only 20/21 as well.

Who-Izzet said:
IF we had the money I'd sign someone like Dave Kitson of Reading or Mark de Vries of Hearts, but to be honest I don't think we could afford them.

I'm not sure about Riordan, you'll all probably say told you so oneday, but I don't think Riordan will step up higher than the SPL.

Shipperley would be alright or perhaps bring back Kevin Campbell on the right wages. If Paul Furlong & Brian Deane can bang in goals in this league, he certainly can.

Personally though I'd be after a creator like some of you guys said. I really think we miss Steve Guppy. Someone who can place that ball inch perfect to where the strikers want it.

I'd sack that many players & try to sign Claus Jensen though if it was me! Can't see that happening though.

But Levein said he wanted younger players, a squad between 24-28 mostly.

But Levein said he wanted younger players, a squad between 24-28 mostly.[/quote]

I know mate, but unless there is money available it's gonna be a gamble or another oldie.

I seen Lionel Morgan a few times for MK Dons & he look fairly good. MK Dons turned down an offer from Tottenham for him at the start of last season but I think they released him before the start of this season. God knows where he is now.

I have been quite impressed with Plymouths Tony Capaldi, but not sure he is Premier League standard.

I read today that Sheff.Utd are after De Vries at Hearts so wether this may prompt Levein I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566