What Are You Listening To Now?

I thought The Inspiral Carpets were from Oldham. Were all the others from Oldham too?
Ahhh, No - Charlatans were from Northwich.

I remember watching it on the night. & I definitely don't want to remember how long ago it was.
The look that Rat Scabies has in his eyes near the end of the set has always been worrying!

Quick question to the old punks on here - do you remember being at gigs and other kids coming up to you, asking for 10p?

I do, and I found it a little weird at the time. I used to think it was only going on at small rough punk gigs I used to goto in Liverpool in the late 70's / early 80's but seemingly, it must have been a 'regular' thing around the country.

Anyway, here's The Ejected doing their classic hit...

Quick question to the old punks on here - do you remember being at gigs and other kids coming up to you, asking for 10p?

I do, and I found it a little weird at the time. I used to think it was only going on at small rough punk gigs I used to goto in Liverpool in the late 70's / early 80's but seemingly, it must have been a 'regular' thing around the country.

Anyway, here's The Ejected doing their classic hit...

Yep. Happened all the time. Two different levels to it as I remember. The first would be ratty little ****ers just trying it on. The second would be skinheads doing it in more of a ' demanding money with menaces ' fashion. The best I ever saw was outside a GBH gig at the Hummingbird. 3 skins walking up to people giving it the big un. They half surrounded one bloke when his mate, who'd been sitting cross legged on the pavement behind him got up. He was enormous. 6f 6 at least, 7ft if you included the mohican & built like the bloke from The Wanderers. He said to his mate " I'll give him it " & pulled a 10p piece out of his pocket, looked at the now decidedly sweaty looking skinheads & said " Cheapest rent boys in Britain these must be. Brilliant. Who's first ? "

Usain Bolt wouldn't have caught the ****s.

Hilarious.

For those of you into your alternative lo-fi stuff you’re probably well aware of Pavement and perhaps even Silver Jews, who are probably one of my favourite bands. Well Silver Jews were fronted by Steven Berman who sadly died a couple of years ago, not before he made an album under the name Purple Mountains. It’s a beautiful piece of work full of his humour and frankly heartbreaking turn of phrase and deeply affecting country tinged tone. It’s well worth listening to, this is a personal favourite, albeit not exactly one of the album’s toe tappers but it feels seasonal and appropriate.

For those of you into your alternative lo-fi stuff you’re probably well aware of Pavement and perhaps even Silver Jews, who are probably one of my favourite bands. Well Silver Jews were fronted by Steven Berman who sadly died a couple of years ago, not before he made an album under the name Purple Mountains. It’s a beautiful piece of work full of his humour and frankly heartbreaking turn of phrase and deeply affecting country tinged tone. It’s well worth listening to, this is a personal favourite, albeit not exactly one of the album’s toe tappers but it feels seasonal and appropriate.

I like that.

Talking of Pavement, have you ever listened to anything by a band called 'Preston School Of Industry' (great band name) - the band formed by Pavement guitarist Scott Kannberg? He also does 'Spiral Stairs'. Well worth a listen, IMO.

Another 'The Future of British Indie Music'.

For starters, how wrong (as a Leicester lad who supports LCFC) can you go with.....

A band from Nottingham, called 'Stuart Pearce' ? ? ? ?
What?

Anyhow, They are current, and sound (for current) reasonable (in some way).

Not one of my all time favourite Smiths songs particularly, but a ****ing great bass line. Coming up to a year since Andy Rourke passed away and this rolled around while Spotify did its thing.

Above all else it’s quite an appropriate song for the moment….

IMG_2462.jpeg

While I’m at it… A better run of songs on album than this? Hit me.

Everything on The Queen is Dead.
Never had no one ever ****s it for me… but Cemetery Gates to Some Girls is flawless. I snuck The Boy With a Thorn In His Side into our wedding playlist actually, no hidden meaning like :icon lol:

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4469
8Coventry City4363
9Middlesbro4463
10Preston 4463