What laptop should I get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK I have changed tack completely now - looking to get a Dell after seeing NF's bargin.

Here is what I am considering:

Dell Inspiron 6400
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T5200 (1.60 GHz, 2 MB L2 cache)
Windows Vista Home Premium
1GB RAM
80GB Hard Drive

£499 Deliviered

Is this a good deal?

I'd want more ram than that. Go for at least 2 gig

I am not sure what to order at the moment Jeff - but I will click your link if I get the Dell!

Is Vista worth getting at the moment? Or will XP last me for another few years at least?

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/nbrange.html?RVM
This is a better value laptop - I would get the better of the two - but I need to find a cheap copy of XP... where should I look??

Get the Dell Joe, I have had quite of few of their laptops and not only are they excellent value they are well made and reliable (in my experience). I am currently running Vista on my 1GB RAM laptop without any issues at all, even with the aero interface active (which you wont use the features of anyway)

Just dont trust Dell to deliver the ****er when they e-mail you and tell you they will do so.

Just dont trust Dell to deliver the ****er when they e-mail you and tell you they will do so.

Er... you might be right but they were able to deliver my current Laptop under interesting circumstances. I would normally slag Dell if I could but on this occasion, no. ;)

I brought the novatech.
Vista is superb and the wireless internet with the bt home hub is seamless.
Highly reccomended!

I brought the novatech.
Vista is superb and the wireless internet with the bt home hub is seamless.
Highly reccomended!

Did you go for the 2GB version then?

I'm thinking of getting a new computer or laptop when I get a job and for that price another laptop would be worth it. How much did you have to pay for Vista, is it easy to use after using XP and what extra features are there.

TBH I was thinking of getting a Media Centre computer to compliment my Xbox 360 as you can stream videos ect using that. Do you know if Vista has the same capabilities as the Media Centre operating system?

Vista comes with Media Centre as standard unless you go for the bog standard, cheapo, waste of time version.

Only the Home Premium and Ultimate versions.

Which only leaves the home basic version or, as I said, the nasty, bog standard, cheapo, waste of time version.

Presuming of course that he isn't interested in the business version.

But the business version often comes pre-installed as it's what most of the box-shifters will be selling. It's also cheaper than the home (with media centre) versions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4469
8Coventry City4363