What makes you feel English?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i would say things that make me feel english are:-

speaking a language that everyone understands and consequently, never bothering to learn any others
having pubs that close at 11
having a train network that costs twice as much as flying
being able to slate anything you want in public, god, the queen, tony blair, muslims
being able to have snow, sunshine, rain then hail on the same day

Last edited:
twice as much as flying
being able to slate anything you want in public, god, the queen, tony blair, muslims
I noticed you missed Holloway and Hume off that list. You'd get slaughtered if you dared blaspheme them.

Having a language named after us. Americans don't speak American, Australians don't speak Australian, etc etc. They speak English!

Having a language named after us. Americans don't speak American, Australians don't speak Australian, etc etc. They speak English!

Ah yes, you have to love the legacy of a failed colonial power.

Better to be a fialed colonial power than never to have tried at all.

My point was that there is nothing 'English' about having a fry-up

You'd be wrong then. There is nothing exclusively English about a fry up but plenty of them are sold everyday so its fair to say its part of a typical English diet. Football was invented in England but that doesn't mean its not a massive part of the French, German, Spanish etc etc way of life

Back on the broader topic I'm proud of being both British and English but specifically English because of our history, landscape, architecture, achievements in science, sport and last but not least vast range of accents in such a small place.

You'd be wrong then. There is nothing exclusively English about a fry up but plenty of them are sold everyday so its fair to say its part of a typical English diet. Football was invented in England but that doesn't mean its not a massive part of the French, German, Spanish etc etc way of life

The second sentence in your specious argument negates the first part.

There is nothing particularly 'English' about having a fry-up, same as it isn't particularly Scottish, Welsh or Irish to have a fry-up even though it is just as common in those countries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669