Who Goes, Who Stays? Championship Here We Come!....

You can tell from the comments he's made already that Jonny Evans is off. No surprise, but I feel he's been pretty detached for a while.

I've held this in for a while, but he's someone that's really pissed me off this season. With his injuries, he may not be as culpable for what's happened on the pitch as others. But he's meant to be our captain - and yet he's been absolutely silent. In the last 24 hours is the only time I've heard from him this season. I've not seen anything of him trying to rally the players.

Every comment he's made since full time has been about "the club", not once saying "we". Clearly knows he's not sticking around.

Compare that with Nacho's interview where he spoke very emotionally and every answer was about we haven't done enough, we will work hard to come back etc.
What makes it worse is in the two games that he has played recently we’ve looked very solid at the back

If Brendan had taken things seriously and pulled rank we’d have got more games from him and clearly potentially more points.
That’s why I am blaming Brendan. Clear squad mismanagement for personal reasons.

BN's right in as much as everyone is for sale, has a price tag. We're in a position where we'll have to listen to offers. That said, we'll have worked out who we want to (and can afford to) keep. If we get offers above that internal valuation then there'll be further discussion.

I don't think it's as bleak as that might seem though. There'll be parachute money, and other hangover income streams. I can see KP selling us but if not, there being funds available sufficient to do some kind of meaningful rebuild. We will continue to exist even if we're granted certain leniences.

With astute trading and a ground floor manager, we might bounce back relatively quickly. I wouldn't say one season but maybe 2. On the plus side, we might also shed some of our supporters who want no part of the club, or the EPL, or whatever ;)
Will the parachute money not be paying the interest on loans secured against premier league income?

Will the parachute money not be paying the interest on loans secured against premier league income?
Depends. I think its highly likely that we will renegotiate our terms with Macquarie and therefore what we pay them on a month by month basis. They will want to make sure we don't go under and will have a keen interest on us returning to the top flight so that they can keep le ding us cash and profiting from the interest.

Depends. I think its highly likely that we will renegotiate our terms with Macquarie and therefore what we pay them on a month by month basis. They will want to make sure we don't go under and will have a keen interest on us returning to the top flight so that they can keep le ding us cash and profiting from the interest.

I read that interest only servicing of this loan will cost us £1.5m a month next season. In terms of a Championship club income, that's massive.

I read that interest only servicing of this loan will cost us £1.5m a month next season. In terms of a Championship club income, that's massive.
We have no idea what the terms will be. It's in the best interests of the bank to make it as easy as possible for us to pay them back.

No way we can sell as many players as BN is making out.

We'd have to replace every one of them and that would include signing on fees on top of whatever wage they negotiate.

Also, no club in the world is going to pay any of them what we are, so we'd end up paying a shit load of the wage anyway.

Plus most of them are shit

Iversen, Faes, Souttar, Thomas, Kristiansen, JJ (depending on recovery), KDH and maybe Hamza are the ones I'm almost certain will still be here next season.

Then I think potentially a couple from Vardy, Perez, Nacho, Daka, Soumare, Praet and Ndidi - but I think majority of those get moves. Someone will take a punt on them for Ligue 1, Bundesliga or Serie A. Or if their wages are too high, moves to Turkey.

It's pretty bloody bleak.

The only player I feel happy about having next season would be James Justin, and we'd only get to keep him because no one will want to take the risk yet

I'd be happy if we keep Mendy, although I'm really hoping we build a stronger, more physical side.
Those highlighted in bold will be a handy nucleus of a team I do not think we will keep anyone else purely down to wages and their aspirations. I think JJ will go in the transfer window as well unfortunately, I also do not think it is that bleak, a challenge yes, and I would look at this as an opportunity to restructure and rebuild.
It depends what Top is willing to invest and whether he is going to stick or twist and judging by his public letter I would surmise he is staying put. Getting the right manager is the most important aspect the movement of players is purely a financial one, we will need a manager who can have us firing on all cylinders, has the right ethos and works well with the board and head of recruitment.

Those highlighted in bold will be a handy nucleus of a team I do not think we will keep anyone else purely down to wages and their aspirations. I think JJ will go in the transfer window as well unfortunately, I also do not think it is that bleak, a challenge yes, and I would look at this as an opportunity to restructure and rebuild.
It depends what Top is willing to invest and whether he is going to stick or twist and judging by his public letter I would surmise he is staying put. Getting the right manager is the most important aspect the movement of players is purely a financial one, we will need a manager who can have us firing on all cylinders, has the right ethos and works well with the board and head of recruitment.
Do you think we have the capacity to replace the vast numbers you are suggesting will leave? Wages aren't the issue you're suggesting if a reduction clause kicks in.

It'll be fewer departures than some are predicting for many reasons.

Do you think we have the capacity to replace the vast numbers you are suggesting will leave? Wages aren't the issue you're suggesting if a reduction clause kicks in.

The main reason being they're all shit and lazy.

Agreed.

If we are going all in for one season then we can only really replace 4-5 first team players or it will take too long for them to gel, and by which time, we may be out of touch with the top teams.

I think it’s a given that we will lose 4-5 but we do need to retain most even if we have to front up wages for one season.

Tielemans has gone, I can see Evans, Barnes, Maddison plus perhaps one or two more.

Last season wasn’t largely a player issue (bar Ward and Soumare) it was a management issue.

The remainder of the spine of the team plus a couple of decent additions (maybe these step up from the internal set up) would see us good enough to challenge for promotion.

I would see this as an opportunity to play Nacho and Vardy and rotate Vardy with Daka and assure Nacho that should he perform this season that he will be first choice striker for the next season.

Also, no club in the world is going to pay any of them what we are, so we'd end up paying a shit load of the wage anyway.
This is kinda a catch-22 of where we're at and why, IMHO, there is probably some kind of leniency available. Parachute expenses if you like, or a pro rata calc or some such.

Yes, we were daft ****s for paying the wages in the first place but it wasn't against prevailing regs. Now we need to offload as many as poss but if there are no takers (for whatever reason) then we are contractually bound to pay those wages. Or subsidise them for a sale and then pay the wages of a replacement. Rock and a hard place. Of course, each contract is potentially different but in general terms we're stuck with a certain level of wage expenditure that league bosses will simply have to permit. Or bar us, or whatever.

It's in the club's interest to reduce the wages bill but it simply cannot be done overnight. Unless we're allowed to swap expenses from one column on a spreadsheet to another then we are going to have a high wage bill (the highest even)

Maddison, Barnes, Castagne, Ndidi and possibly Nacho are players with contracts I’m almost sure will leave.

We pray for relief on Ward, Bertrand, Vestergaard.

It'll be way fewer. Already we have 6 out of contract and then Madders and Barnes likely to leave. That's 8. I see one more, maybe 2.

We've shown resilience in the past in negotiation and so I actually think we'll do all we can to keep Barnes who would undoubtedly tear up this league. I also wouldn't be surprised if re-sign Evans who, if kept fit, would be highly important.

Barnes to stay, Castagne and Madders to leave IMHO.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566
9Coventry City4464
10Preston 4463