Who should stay and who should go

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be crazy to oust Sven at the moment. I don't think he's infallible, infact I often think that for all his experience I wander why he makes some fairly basic errors, i.e. fiddling with a line up that is performing well and persisting with what I can only assume are 'favourites' even though everyone else in the ground can see they are flipping crap. On the flip side he is an advocate of playing football in the correct way, and it would be nice if we can be successful and still be entertaining to watch.

Part of me thinks we probably should be doing better with some of the players we have available us at the moment. At the same time, I think he needs to be given a full and proper preseason for next year and the opportunity to shape the side with more permanent acquisitions.

All that aside, who could we get who could possibly be an improvement anyway? We wouldn't get MON and I can't think of anyone else worth having!

I was very disappointed in Sven's managerial decision today to play Bruma instead of Mee - it was illogical. Bruma cost us a win at Middlesborough with his immature dissent and did not deserve to walk back into the side following this and other disappointing performances. I heard that we have not won a game when he has been in the starting line up - is this true ? Decisions like this do not promote a strong team spirit which is essential to get out of this division.

Leicester became a joke for it's turnover of managers - four in the season we got relegated. We have now got a superb manager and we should let him get on with the job.

All of it fair comment. I expect us to get promoted next season. No excuses and failure is not an option. :)

All of it fair comment. I expect us to get promoted next season. No excuses and failure is not an option. :)

Not quite so simple I'm afraid.

Sven and the owners went for a bit of short termism to try to get us promoted in a hurry. Unfortunately, he now has to re-build over the short summer period without too much in the way of decent foundations from this season.

However, he will surely know that we don't have even an adequate keeper on the books - so that's a good place to start. One or two loanees to add to the mix is fine...but I hope that he stops filling the side with kids who are not ready for the battle and avoids being compromised in his selections by having to please 'big' Premier League clubs

I think that Sven will do well to get promotion next season: he may have money, but so little to build upon.

From the list of players, mentioned in post one, I would expect to see the following;

Chris Weale Goalkeeper Stay, as back up
(Ricardo to go - simply because of the fans)
Robbie Neilson Defender Go
Aleksandar Tunchev Defender Stay - be lucky to play 10 games
Patrick Van Aanholt Defender Go
Vitor Defender - I do not think that he was ever going to stay
Joao Teixeira Midfielder Go
Paul Gallagher Striker Stay
Matt Oakley Midfielder - We know that he is staying but will play rarely
Steve Howard Striker - As above
Andy King Midfielder Stay
Lloyd Dyer Midfielder Stay (but not a Sven favourite)
Jeffrey Bruma Defender Go
Martyn Waghorn Striker Stay (but not a Sven favourite)
Bruno Berner Defender Stay
Kyle Naughton Defender - I will be amazed if he stays
Dany N'Guessan Striker Go
Tom Kennedy Defender Go
Richie Wellens Midfielder Stay
Michael Lamey Defender Stay - Only because we cannot off load
Yuki Abe Midfielder Stay
Ayegbeni Yakubu Striker Go
Jack Hobbs Defender Stay
Souleymane Bamba Defender Stay
Ben Mee Defender Stay - Cannot see him staying after Reading
Darius Vassell Striker - Probably stay, but as back up
Diomansy Kamara Striker Stay

This gives us approximately five first team regulars - and a new 'keeper and almost a completely new defence. It is asking a lot to turn that selection into a Championship winning team.

Rotherham fox, why the feck let Vassell go but keep Lamey?

Last edited:
I think that Sven will do well to get promotion next season: he may have money, but so little to build upon.

Yes- this is the downside to the owners' strategy.

The positive is that they provided big money in Championship terms to fund the wages for incomers that made it posssible for Sven to transform things from bottom of the table to play off contenders.

Unfortunately, we are left with the shreds of a squad and a lot of wasted (their) money.

I really wouldn't know whether Sven gets it in terms of understanding what is needed to get promotion. My gut feeling is that he is too fond of using his contacts to bring in players who generally are not that committed to Leicester City. He should know by now that it is usually the pacey, powerful sides with uncompromising defenders that do well. I think he faces a daunting task in re-building his squad.

The big unknown is whether the owners are deeply impressed by how things have gone.

Last edited by a moderator:
If we completely had the choice, so ignoring whether the loan signings are realistically going to sign permanently, this is what I'd want:

Stay
Tunchev
Miguel Vitor
Paul Gallagher
Andy King
Lloyd Dyer
Martin Waghorn
Bruno Berner
Kyle Naughton (yes, yes, yes)
Richie Wellens
Yakubu
Yuki Abe
Jack Hobbs
Sol Bamba
Darius Vassell (but only as backup/striker... not to play on the wing)
Diomansy Kamara (I think already said he'd like to sign permanently)

Go
Chris Weale (or keep as backup)
Robbie Neilson
Van Aanholt
Joao Teixeira
Matt Oakley
Steve Howard
Jeffrey Bruma
Dany N'Guessan
Tom Kennedy
Michael Lamey (why would you possibly want him to stay?)
Ben Mee (Undecided)

Ben Mee and Van Aanholt, I've put to go... but not because they've been bad necessarily. Our defence has good players, but isn't playing well. I think we just need different types of players there really. I'm not convinced you can play 2 full backs who attack as much as Naughton and Van Aanholt do in this league, or at least not without very good centre backs, which we've not got.

To be honest, there aren't too many players who I would be gutted to see leave. King and Naughton are the ones I want to be here most next season, although I think it's unlikely we'll get to sign Naughton. Maybe Spurs will let us have him on loan again though.

We've got good players, but it hasn't clicked well enough this season so changes are needed. No one is indisposable really.

I think that given the circumstances when Sven was appointed loans were the most sensible option. We could have relied on unattached players and overpriced players who aren't wanted elsewhere. I think the would have been worse than what we have now. Sven can look for freebies in the summer such as Westwood at Cov (I think) and players with a lower market value than in Jan, much preferable to paying £2m or whatever they'd want for the likes of Kirkland who was available. We gambled and lost - we could have lost even more by alternative methods.

Hold on a minute, let's have a look at some of these again.
Aleksandar Tunchev Defender Stay
Because the physios aren't busy enough?
Steve Howard Striker Stay
Martyn Waghorn Striker Stay
Not enough yellow cards / needless fouls / aimless shots for your liking?
Bruno Berner Defender Stay
It looks like he will, but I'm not sure why.
Michael Lamey Defender Stay
:081::081::081:
Ayegbeni Yakubu Striker Go
Good plan. Bin off the best finisher we've had in years and retain Steve Howard. Cuz he's got pashun ainit.
Jack Hobbs Defender Stay
As good as gone.
Darius Vassell Striker Go
Get rid of Vassell, who is on a good day a very effective attacking player, and keep Waghorn, who has done precisely nothing all season? Yep, good idea. Not been to many games lately, have you?

The So Called Manager,in The Last Few Games If It Had Been The Start Of The Season ,lets Face It We Would Be Bottom ,

I think that given the circumstances when Sven was appointed loans were the most sensible option. We could have relied on unattached players and overpriced players who aren't wanted elsewhere. I think the would have been worse than what we have now. Sven can look for freebies in the summer such as Westwood at Cov (I think) and players with a lower market value than in Jan, much preferable to paying £2m or whatever they'd want for the likes of Kirkland who was available. We gambled and lost - we could have lost even more by alternative methods.

I think that is about right. The January market is generally for the desparate so the prices are correspondingly high.

For a time Sven got us playing winning and attractive football - which even had me not looking forward to the end of the game.

However, it's proved ultimately unsuccessful and also unsustainable in the sense that we''ll be lucky if the better players like Naughton and Vitor are around next season - and I assume that Sven is going to have to make some slightly more long term acquisitions which will be a test of his ability in this league. He's hardly got the remnants of a squad even taking account of the more or less obsolete Oakleys and Howards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669