Yakubu

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would say Sheringham the best i can remember in recent years
Ryan Giggs is getting there... If he's willing to drop down a level, say to a mid-table team, he could go on for a good few years yet. not likely, though.

Aren't we all forgetting about a certain Milan defender?

Javier Zanetti is also 37 and is still one of the best full-backs in the world.

Last edited:
Nonetheless, I think that its quite possible that he will finish up with us.

Everton certainly don't want him and if nothing better turns up for him, he'll probably take our owners shillings resolving the obvious gap in our squad. An expensive move - but worth it if we get promotion.

It possibly creates a problem though. Sven is assembling a squad of players who want to be here. Yakubu only apparently wants to be here if, a) we are in the prem and pay him lots of money, or, b) we are not in the Prem so we have to pay him even more money, presumably to compensate him for having to play beneath his status.

It possibly creates a problem though. Sven is assembling a squad of players who want to be here. Yakubu only apparently wants to be here if, a) we are in the prem and pay him lots of money, or, b) we are not in the Prem so we have to pay him even more money, presumably to compensate him for having to play beneath his status.

I agree. I'd be both very surprised and disappointed in Sven if Yak came here now.

Its a market led situation. If someone else offers him a higher level/ more money then he will probably jointhem. The club states that it places a value on any player and won't go beyond that. In which case Yakubu can only come here at a 'realistic' salary. If he does come here, we can be certain that he will tell us how much he wants to play for LCFC....and probable that we were the only club he ever really wanted to join. Problem solved.

I'm sorry but where has Yakubu been quoted as saying he was not willing to drop down or that we aren't offering him enough?? It's all speculation perhaps he is Svens back up plan if we don't get Maynard.

I'm sorry but where has Yakubu been quoted as saying he was not willing to drop down or that we aren't offering him enough?? It's all speculation perhaps he is Svens back up plan if we don't get Maynard.

Cheryl Cole isn't saying she doesn't want to come round, do all my ironing, watch some sports, cook me a nice dinner and finish it off with the best nosh job known to man, but that doesn't mean she's on her way over complete with ironing-water, garlic press and anti-gag reflex pills, does it?

I believe a fee with Everton had been agreed in May, so:

If he was willing to drop down, he would be here by now.

If we had offered him enough money, he would be here by now.

If we had offered him enough money to drop down, he would be here by now, ergo we haven't offered him enough money to drop down!

What's puzzling in the link is the information that Leicester have upped the bid from £3m to £4m. I thought the main problem with this potential transfer when the club were making efforts earlier in the summer to sign him (before the efforts on CMS and Maynard) was not his transfer fee as reports had stated Everton were happy with the fee - but his wages were the issue...

Maybe there was a 'success clause' added, for example Everton pay some of his wages and if we win promotion they get an extra £1million.

If we don't get Maynard (which I honestly don't think we will), I think it may be a fair assumption to suggest we'll hit this one a bit harder and stump up what he's asking for. I can't see Sven being happy going into the season with the strike options we have at the moment.

I believe a fee with Everton had been agreed in May, so:

If he was willing to drop down, he would be here by now.

If we had offered him enough money, he would be here by now.

If we had offered him enough money to drop down, he would be here by now, ergo we haven't offered him enough money to drop down!

It wasn't an attractive enough offer for him in May - but by August it might be the best offer he can get as an alternative to Everton reserves.

I agree. I'd be [...] very surprised [...] if Yak came here now.

I agree.

If he wanted to play for us he would be here by now.

I agree. The ptb were very keen to get people in place in time for the pre-season games.

What's puzzling in the link is the information that Leicester have upped the bid from £3m to £4m.

What's puzzling is where this rumour started. It didn't happen - believe me.

If we don't get Maynard (which I honestly don't think we will), I think it may be a fair assumption to suggest we'll hit this one a bit harder and stump up what he's asking for. I can't see Sven being happy going into the season with the strike options we have at the moment.

It might be fairer to presume that Yakubu has had his chance. As I've already said, Sven wanted people in in time to have them play in the pre-season games; I think he's unlikely to want to go back and give another opportunity to somebody who could have been there if he had wanted to be. I agree that we need more in the striking dept than we already had, but I feel we will be looking elsewhere.

He must be desperate/greedy for the money if he is prepared to gamble on Sven not going for someone else soon. Other clubs do not appear to be banging on his door offering barrows full of money do they?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566