Your first match?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1966 first home game after the World Cup with 4 Winners on the pitch as we beat W Ham 5-4

Don't know my first game

Soppy ****ers

Me neither - always surprises me when people can

All I know is that I was about five years old, and we won the game - no idea of the score or who we were playing. I sat up in the Double Decker near the front

Only thing I can remember from the match is that there was one player on the pitch who was doing things with the football that no one else on the pitch could do, and that he was absolutely bloody brilliant. I asked my dad who it was - 'that's Lenny Glover, son - say no more'

Can anyone confirm my memory?

First game home to QPR I think. Definitely remember Bob Hazell playing for QPR because he was terrifying. I think he got sent off. He walked past our dugout and Jock Wallace mumbled something to him that was incomprehensible. I was standing right next to the dugout.

Did I make that up or did it happen?

Against Fulham at Craven Cottage in 1968. Willie Bell, Len Glover and Frank Large were all making their debuts if I remember correctly. Won the game 1-0 with a Mike Stringfellow goal.

First game home to QPR I think. Definitely remember Bob Hazell playing for QPR because he was terrifying. I think he got sent off. He walked past our dugout and Jock Wallace mumbled something to him that was incomprehensible. I was standing right next to the dugout.

Iirc, ind Coope v Guinness
Hazell dived across to punch a shot clear
Great save

I was somewhat late to it. My dad was player/manager for Houghton Rangers so I was stuck at that clubhouse most Saturday's.

Anyone remember a testimonial where Gazza and Frank Worthington both played. Think Lineker was there too?

Would have been early 90's. I'm guessing Paul Ramsey was the testimonial?

Anyway, that was one of my first. I also went to a night game where we played Wolves and either one or both of Walsh and Bull got sent off. 0-0.

Anyone remember a testimonial where Gazza and Frank Worthington both played. Think Lineker was there too?

Would have been early 90's. I'm guessing Paul Ramsey was the testimonial?

Ramsey's testimonial was against Spurs in 1989. Lineker and Gazza were Spurs players at the time.
Earlier that year we'd tried to swap Ramsey for Craig Shakespeare, who was at Walsall at the time. Wonder what became of him...

1987. Oxford Utd in the League Cup. I think we lost 3-2

Though I’d seen the 1961 Cup Final against Spurs on telly and gone with my brother to Bramall Lane to see City fight out a 0-0 draw in March 63, it was a few weeks later that I went to Filbo for the first time, 4-3 win over Man U, a Ken Keyworth hat trick and went back to the top of the table.

I naturally assumed this was the norm, what with the league/cup double still being on and all. The following 52 and a half years came came as something of a disappointment to me.

I can't remember the game but I remember a lot of 'Pleat out' chants.

Ramsey's testimonial was against Spurs in 1989. Lineker and Gazza were Spurs players at the time.
Earlier that year we'd tried to swap Ramsey for Craig Shakespeare, who was at Walsall at the time. Wonder what became of him...

That's the one.

First game: Away to Burnley. Opening game of 78/79 season. We drew 2-2 but missed the first goal. I thought it finished 2-1, only when listening to the radio on the way home did I find out the real score.

That was the day that Spurs had these two Argentine players making their debut. Don't know what happened to them.

I always have to look up my first match, as I don't recall who it was but remember roughly when it was. So it's a process of illumination. Conversely, I remember going to Brentford but have to look up when it was.

I always have to look up my first match, as I don't recall who it was but remember roughly when it was. So it's a process of illumination. Conversely, I remember going to Brentford but have to look up when it was.
Played under floodlights?

Lost 3-2 at Spurs, Brazil scored a brace for them, Lynex and Lineker for us I believe?!

First game was 1989 at Plymouth argyle. 1-1 with nicky Cross scoring for us. First home game was against arsenal I can't remember the year 93? We won 2-1 with ormondroyd and Lowe scoring. 600 mile round trip so unfortunately can't go as often as I'd like.

I've been searching for evidence of this game and came across this interview with Hazell. Incredibly sad.

https://www.thepfa.com/news/2018/10/23/former-qpr-player-bob-hazell-on-the-game-he-loves

First game was 1989 at Plymouth Argyle. 1-1 with nicky Cross scoring for us. First home game was against arsenal I can't remember the year 93? We won 2-1 with ormondroyd and Lowe scoring. 600 mile round trip so unfortunately can't go as often as I'd like.

My first football match ever was when I was in the sixth form in my home city of Plymouth. In return for doing a bucket collection before the match and at half-time on Boxing Day in aid of Toc-H, I got to see the match for free.

December 26th 1969, Plymouth Argyle 6 - Torquay United 0.

That is the sort of local derby that does not seem to happen these days. I doubt that Argyle ever repeated the feat, against anyone.

Mine was around Easter 1954 (or was it 55?). City1 Manure 0. Jack Froggatt scored. He was playing left wing, rather than his usual centre half role. Went with some mates and sat on the front row of the double decker right above the goal. I was hooked, despite the fact we were relegated at the end of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4490
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4469
8Coventry City4363