Your first match?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OldGit wins. Anyone who sees a game where someone called Jack Froggatt scores is probably the winner.

Went with my dad and we were situated near the tunnel -1965/66 and Northampton were the opposition I think and I was perched on some concrete just below the main stand, and then ended up at the front sat on the front. as well during the game.Ended a draw I think.

Mine was around Easter 1954 (or was it 55?). City1 Manure 0. Jack Froggatt scored. He was playing left wing, rather than his usual centre half role. Went with some mates and sat on the front row of the double decker right above the goal. I was hooked, despite the fact we were relegated at the end of the season.
:038: :038: :038:

This makes me feel very inexperienced with my time following the citeh.

My first game was in the season we got relegated to the third tier for the first time ever. A shit 1-1 with Cardiff in which we hit the bar what felt like about 5 times.

In hindsight it may even have been 0-0. Was hooked nonetheless.

Edit - it was 0-0. 6th November 2007.
Shit.

Don't know if this was actually my first, but the earliest one I have strong memories of is a 6-2 loss to Birmingham in December 1976. Kenny Burns, then a striker, got a hat trick for them on an icy pitch.

80 or 81, vs Wolves. I remember Andy Gray playing for Wolves, and seeing Emelyn Hughes on the bench, I think.

August 1963 as a 10 year old, I was taken by a West Ham fan to see us beat Arsenal 7-2. I dont remember too much other than their goalkeeper had to go off (maybe Furnell) and their England striker (Joe Baker) went in goal for them. I dont think substitutes were available then so they played much of the game with 10 men.
The City team remain firmly in my mind, as I became a regular fan, attending the Popular sometimes alone.
Until a "friendly" with Glasgow Rangers when I was showered with broken glass bottles thrown at the ceiling, after which I moved to the more "dangerous" Kop, and bacame part of the kopite culture. Happy days!

November 1962 0 - 0 v Blackpool. Very exciting game and got me hooked 2 very good England goal keepers Banks and Tony Waiters.

Was also at the 7-2 Arsenal game think Ken Keyworth got 2/3 goals. That Rangers game was something else half the ground seemed to be full of their supporters trouble everywhere. Happy days.

My hopes were we would win the cup one day but now look at us!

23 August 1987 1-1 v Luton Town.

As I remember it, we went one up with a header from Alan Smith before letting in a farce of an equaliser which involved one of our defenders sliding the length of the penalty area and knocking the ball in with his arms. I'd say memory can play tricks, but this is something I would come to expect watching City!

The first part of the season we did reasonably well. I remember us beating Forest 3-1 after their keeper was injured and a midfielder had to go in goal, this was to be the last of a streak of wins that took us up to ninth. By the end of the season we would fill the last relegation place.

I think mine was during the 1973 season. I haven't a scooby as to which game it was though.

5th round of the FA Cup, 1965. Away at Middlesbrough. I was still a Boro fan at the time. City won 3-0; Jimmy Goodfellow starred; he may even have got all three.

My first professional game was Boro's first game of the 1958/59 season, against Brighton who had just been promoted to the old second division for the first time. Boro won 9-0; Brian Clough got five of them. I thought it was going to be like that every week

The first time I supported City was in the 3rd round of the Cup at Villa Park in 1966. Dooooooog! City won 2-1.

Prior to moving to Surrey in 1969, I spent many a Saturday afternoon watching Anstey Nomads.

The first match I remember is also that 7-2 win against Arsenal in 1963, when I was 10. Joe Baker went in goal but he was too short and fairly useless so the City forwards had a field day. I’m still waiting for us to put seven past Arsenal again.

August 1963 as a 10 year old, I was taken by a West Ham fan to see us beat Arsenal 7-2. I dont remember too much other than their goalkeeper had to go off (maybe Furnell) and their England striker (Joe Baker) went in goal for them. I dont think substitutes were available then so they played much of the game with 10 men.
The City team remain firmly in my mind, as I became a regular fan, attending the Popular sometimes alone.
Until a "friendly" with Glasgow Rangers when I was showered with broken glass bottles thrown at the ceiling, after which I moved to the more "dangerous" Kop, and bacame part of the kopite culture. Happy days!

That friendly took place on the F A Cup 4th Round Saturday ... after our early exit at the hands of, you guessed it .... Man City.

I think the jocks were also out of their cup, a famous defeat by the mighty Berwick Rangers, with Jock Wallace in goal.

Half of Corby descended on Filbo that day ... gruesome, though fwiw I think we won 1-0.

First match was a home game versus WBA. Score was 2-2 with two England centre-forwards scoring their goals (Ronnie Allen + Derek Kevan). I Know Jimmy Walsh score one for us but can't recall the other scorer. Always remember coming out of the ground and my feet not touching the ground till we reached Aylestone Road opposite the Tigers.
Been attending for a majority of time ever since.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757