Mandaric on way???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

Administrator
Staff member
If I had £30m to invest, I would sack RK and offer Curbishley a lucrative contract to prove he's not a one club wonder and then give him £10m in the transfer market to make it happen. Harsh on RK but I don't know whether he'd deliver. If we got promoted within a couple of years and then invested again when promoted, how could you lose money as long as you found someone to buy the club at it's new valuation?

But what happens if he fails?

Lots of clubs have spent money trying to get out of this league and found it harder than they think.

If he spends money on new players with expensive contracts, employs an expensive manager (although I have no idea why you think Curbishley will come here), and we end up failing to promoted, what happens next?
Does he keep putting money in until he achieves success (assuming he's got the money), or does he get out and leave someone else to sort out the mess he leaves?

Melton Fox

Dancing Queen
I hate it when you can see two sides to a debate you are involved in, it makes it all really difficult

newtonfox

so he mite buy our club then ;)

Portsmouth chairman Milan Mandaric has denied trying to buy Leicester - but would not rule out a future bid for the Coca-Cola Championship club.
Reports on Tuesday indicated Mandaric was keen to land a controlling stake in the Foxes after suggesting he would not remain at Pompey in the long term. Mandaric holds the post of non-executive chairman at Fratton Park after selling the club to Russian multi-millionaire Alexandre Gaydamak last month.
"There is no truth in the story at this time. Of course I respect Leicester City Football Club and their position, but I am still chairman of Portsmouth and, while I am chairman, you have got to be faithful to them," Mandaric told the Leicester Mercury.
But when pressed on his intentions regarding Leicester, he hinted that he could become involved in the club in the future.
"It would not be right if I said anything more. I respect Leicester City but I am the chairman of Portsmouth and I cannot say anything while that is the case.
"I will be at Portsmouth for the foreseeable future. If there is a time for me to move on, I always said I'm not going to go away from football."

Lboro fox

I mentioned Brighton and Wimbledon earlier. Not strictly one man ownership, but one man effectively controlled Brighton, and two people destroyed Wimbledon. Off the top of my head other similar cases include Wrexham and Carlisle.

Carlisle is a good example of someone coming into a club and making a real mess of it.
Michael Knighton took the club over with talk of getting into the Premiership. In the end after an unsuccessful period he sacked the manager and did the job himself. The club ended up in administration.

Havn't Ipswich been asset stripped in recent years? They look like they could sink further too.

Chrysalis

Real Madrid would be hard given their status and fanbase. Point taken tho. Hoever if I am not mistaken spanish clubs have their board voted in by the fans. Or at least the president. So they are under pressure to deliver.

Real Sharapova

Havn't Ipswich been asset stripped in recent years? They look like they could sink further too.

The year we went into admin, and were slated from all sides, Ipswich quietly went into admin as well, but nobody said a dicky bird. Most friends of mine I mention this to down here are totally unaware that Ipswich did exactly what we did.:mad:

Chrysalis

so he mite buy our club then ;)

Portsmouth chairman Milan Mandaric has denied trying to buy Leicester - but would not rule out a future bid for the Coca-Cola Championship club.
Reports on Tuesday indicated Mandaric was keen to land a controlling stake in the Foxes after suggesting he would not remain at Pompey in the long term. Mandaric holds the post of non-executive chairman at Fratton Park after selling the club to Russian multi-millionaire Alexandre Gaydamak last month.
"There is no truth in the story at this time. Of course I respect Leicester City Football Club and their position, but I am still chairman of Portsmouth and, while I am chairman, you have got to be faithful to them," Mandaric told the Leicester Mercury.
But when pressed on his intentions regarding Leicester, he hinted that he could become involved in the club in the future.
"It would not be right if I said anything more. I respect Leicester City but I am the chairman of Portsmouth and I cannot say anything while that is the case.
"I will be at Portsmouth for the foreseeable future. If there is a time for me to move on, I always said I'm not going to go away from football."

That more or less says he is interested and may well make a move, but it could be a months away before anything happens.

Brown Nose

Jeff,

Granted if you gave Tim Davies £30m I'm sure he'd make a complete mess of it but MM knows what he's doing. He'd bring in people to run the team and club that would deliver what he wants. If they didn't, he'd replace them with others until he did. Even if we went up then down and up again like Portsmouth did it wouldn't matter in the big scheme of things. His path to profit at Portsmouth was hardly straightforward but he did it. He has also explained many times that he has learnt a great deal from his experiences there.

Curbishley is not likely to get a big management job and will probably want back into footy in the next few months. I'd have thought a club like ours under MM with plenty of cash and a defined challenge would be exactly what he'd want. However, I was only plucking his name out of thin air. Put it this way, there would be no shortage of skilled people who'd want the job.

Chrysalis

Thats another big difference, if you take the money out of the equation manderic would still make a better chairman.

Redditch Fox

Any fan with a sense of history would know we are a yo-yo club.

Of course, but if you had had the time - and I'm not blaming you for not having that time - to have carefully read what I said...the point I was making was that the present set up won't restore us to being a 'yo yo club. Of course i want better than that, like the MON years or the Gillies days of the early and mid sixties, but I'd settle at the moment for the excitement of the promotion and relegation battles. All we have at the moment is a shadow of what Leicester City was. Everything about the club except the fan base and the stadium is second to third rate.

Real Sharapova

Of course, but if you had had the time - and I'm not blaming you for not having that time - to have carefully read what I said...the point I was making was that the present set up won't restore us to being a 'yo yo club. Of course i want better than that, like the MON years or the Gillies days of the early and mid sixties, but I'd settle at the moment for the excitement of the promotion and relegation battles. All we have at the moment is a shadow of what Leicester City was. Everything about the club except the fan base and the stadium is second to third rate.

Apart from a few exceptional periods ( i.e. the MON era, that I feel proud to have been a supporter through ) we have been, in comparison to the big clubs, not first rate for a lot of the time. That's a fact I have been aware of since I started watching City in 1977, doesn't stop my enjoyment of following City home and away, it just makes the best times better. I'm a realist at heart, and believe this MM talk to be hot air, nothing more, nothing less.

Lboro fox

The year we went into admin, and were slated from all sides, Ipswich quietly went into admin as well, but nobody said a dicky bird. Most friends of mine I mention this to down here are totally unaware that Ipswich did exactly what we did.:mad:

Tis very true, Derby have 'restructured' thier debts to narrowly avoid administration thereby never getting a slating. Our big problem that resulted in so much criticism and the 10 point deduction rule was that we owed other football clubs (mainly spurs) money. I think the FA decided standard business practises did not apply between football clubs.

If as most of us hope MM is the knight in shining armour then one thing we will have to accept is expensive tickets.

A quick look at Portsmouth's season ticket prices (£516-£658) may be enough to give anyone who whines about our current prices a heart attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669