Paddy McCarthy Signs for Charlton for 650K

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am disappointed, he has lots of potential to go with his passion, i still think he could have been the next Walsh. We looked better defensively when he was playing even if as an individual he wasnt our best CB. But if he wasnt that keen on staying the he may as well be sold, i do think a sell-on clause should have been included in the deal though.

Up until recently I would have viewed sales of many of players with a tinge of regret, specifically a young player like Paddy. But that feeling has long gone given the bunch of muppets we have been stuck with recently. The last player I was disappointed to lose was Connolly but the £3m more than made up for that.

Toodles Paddy!

If he has some good older pros to 'guide' him along I think he could be a decent centre half, his temperament is a bit suspect, but he could be taught how to channel that the right way.Same as other aspects about his game, he has time on his side being relatively young, to be able to sort these things out.
I don't think you can question the effort he put in when playing though, he always gave 100%(even when playing cack)

One thing I am pleased about though is that despite being offered a better contract he decided he'd rather move on than be sat on his arse on the bench knowing he had dropped down the pecking order-it makes a change seeing a player not be satisfied with just picking up his pay packet and doing feck all to have earned it. It's a pity a few more players don't have the same attitude about that sort of thing...

apart from that though........Who can I drool over next season? (Joe Mattock,despite being gorgeous is far too young unfortunately!)

I personally prefer Pardew's judgement. But that is because he has just proved a little more so far in his career than MA.

I think I must be the only person dissapointed with this. We have let go of a good hard working prospect in place of a player with 2 years max left in the tank...

I have yet to see any good business so far.

Regardless of whether he is a good player or not, he didn't want to play for our club so he can piss off.

We didn't let him go, he refused the contract

A good deal for us IMO. And he was only third choice Centre Back :icon_roll (eh Jeff :icon_wink)...

He needs to learn his trade a bit more, and it is obvious that MM wants prem football asap for the cash that will bring to him, so therefore we bring in a CB that did the job last year for Birmingham, and sell for cash a CB. Might mean Paddy K stays?

Why are we all wishing him the best - He turned us down to move to Charlton. If one of our proposed transfer targets did that we would not be wishing him all the best. And we offered him improved terms.

Why are we all wishing him the best - He turned us down to move to Charlton.

quite sad that someone views them as a bigger club. perhaps better wages and more money? not sure, but still quite sad. as it is paddy though i'm far from being arsed as i feel the bloke was a total liability. getting booked/sent off for shouting his mouth off far too much is something you do when you're a school boy, how old is this gimp? i'd rather have an old codger with a brain on him than a spanner that really cares (which i don't actually think he did)

quite sad that someone views them as a bigger club. perhaps better wages and more money? not sure, but still quite sad. as it is paddy though i'm far from being arsed as i feel the bloke was a total liability. getting booked/sent off for shouting his mouth off far too much is something you do when you're a school boy, how old is this gimp? i'd rather have an old codger with a brain on him than a spanner that really cares (which i don't actually think he did)

well said fitz... well said!!!

Don't know about this. Swapping a 24 year old prospect for a 36 year old has-been, who will give us hopefully at least one good season I hope, which would be more than a lot of old timers we have signed in the last few years.

Or another way of looking at it: swapping a player with obvious disciplinary problems whose career highlight so far has been playing in one of the crappest LCFC sides ever, for a player who has been capped by France, played for PSG and AC Milan, spent five years in the Premier League and started more than half the games for a side who got promotion from this league last season.

You can spin it any way you like, we won't find out until they're actually out there on the pitch.

yes you could not fault him for his effort but he had slipped to third choice at best

Had he?

Last season he was always in the team when he was fit, and he was captain, how has he suddenly become third choice at best?
He was left out last season by Kelly just before he got injured. I think it was after he came back from either another injury or a ban, and MacAuley had played well in his absence. Kelly said it was one of the hardest decisions he'd ever had to make - presumably because he's such a nice bloke.

So with the signing of N'Gotty, yes, I think he'd slipped down to 4th choice.

To be honest all u lot that think mccarthy was a liability musn't have seen this guy play. He was probably the only player along with hume who actually wanted to win every game. He was a developing prospect and had a lot left in him. If he'd have signed a new contract and stayed we could have got about £2m for him in a couple of years or maybe more. But to be quite honest, with Milan's Miliions and Martin's awesome attitude, we dont even need McCarthy. Kisnorbo is a more respected skipper anyway.

I personally prefer Pardew's judgement. But that is because he has just proved a little more so far in his career than MA.

I think I must be the only person dissapointed with this. We have let go of a good hard working prospect in place of a player with 2 years max left in the tank...

I'm another one disappointed in this tbh. He was at least passionate about playing.
Yes he was reckless at times getting sent off etc but then wasn't Walshie like that early on in his Leicester career

I'm with you, I'm sad to see him go and how was it good business if he actually wanted to keep him? Neither Kisnorbo nor McAuley are strong enough in the air for me and N'Gotty's 36 for fecks sake.

Still, having said all that, if he wanted to go, better to let him go than keep an unhappy player, look at what happened to Maybury and Stearman after they weren't allowed to talk to other clubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669