Paddy McCarthy Signs for Charlton for 650K

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm another one disappointed in this tbh. He was at least passionate about playing.
Yes he was reckless at times getting sent off etc but then wasn't Walshie like that early on in his Leicester career

I''m not so sure that this was a 'great bit of business', after all IMO I thought Paddy Mac was a decent player and seemed to have a much more professional approach that many of the other players (many of who headed for various 'watering holes' immediately after training).

I also thought that on the field he was a decent CB and someone who was more than capable at this level. I have to admit that if Charlton think he is good enough for their promotion push, shouldn't we be thinking along the same lines?

However having read that he turned down an improved contract offer I am now more than happy to see him leave. It seems to show he's either not ready for the fight (i.e proving to the new manager he is good enough to play first team) or that he has a total disregard for the 'status' he has been given as club captain at this club - or a mixture of both.

My personal feeling is that he will probably end up like Jordan Stewart has, but having seen him turn us down on what MA described as a 'generous offer' I now hope he gets a hostile reception when he revisits the Walkers!

To be honest all u lot that think mccarthy was a liability musn't have seen this guy play. He was probably the only player along with hume who actually wanted to win every game. He was a developing prospect and had a lot left in him. If he'd have signed a new contract and stayed we could have got about £2m for him in a couple of years or maybe more. But to be quite honest, with Milan's Miliions and Martin's awesome attitude, we dont even need McCarthy. Kisnorbo is a more respected skipper anyway.

of course?!? I have missed very few games over the last few season and I will happily stand by my statement that mccarthy is a liability. who exactly do you think would pay £2m for a player of his quality in a few years? can't see it unless the lad grows up a hell of a lot. also, you think kisnorbo doesn't want to win every game but we don't need mccarthy as we have kisnorbo? how does that make sense? what ratio of games does kisnorbo want to win then?

He was left out last season by Kelly just before he got injured. I think it was after he came back from either another injury or a ban, and MacAuley had played well in his absence. Kelly said it was one of the hardest decisions he'd ever had to make - presumably because he's such a nice bloke.

So with the signing of N'Gotty, yes, I think he'd slipped down to 4th choice.

McCarthy wasn't fully fit at that time though. And what makes you think N'Gotty would be chosen ahead of him - or even play in the same position (N'Gotty also played at full back for Brum) ?

Do you really think a fully fit McCarthy wouldn't have been back into the team after the way we defended against Stoke, Plymouth, Norwich, Birmingham, Wolves etc?
McAuley has looked good at times, but he also struggles for pace and has been shown up badly in this area a number of times. I'm sure a fully fit McCarthy would have replaced him in the team.

Last edited:
He wasn't as good as some make out, as Fitz says he was a liability. If he was passionate about playing for us he would have signed the contract. When he was out injured and the City played matches, more times than not he was at home and not watching the match, some passionate committed captain eh?

I think 650K is well over the top to what he is worth.

Maybe the improved contract was an extra £500 a week, but a deduction of £1000 for each week out due to suspension.

Maybe the improved contract was an extra £500 a week, but a deduction of £1000 for each week out due to suspension.

OG thats a silly statement to make and you of all people who says he is a union bloke...:icon_roll

lets look on the bright side, he plays agaist us on the final day at walkers, leicester and charlton level on points only one team can go throught with one auto promotion left, PK gives away a penalty in the last minute of the game, gets a red card, we go up and charlton stay in the championship..good move MA

when PM did play, he would give stupid fouls away, and he was always looking forward as plays ran behind him, i remember when he gave a away a foul in the last few mins agaist plymouth and they scored from the resulting free kick, i think that MA has put his foot down and told everyone the only way is up.

when PM did play, he would give stupid fouls away, and he was always looking forward as plays ran behind him, i remember when he gave a away a foul in the last few mins agaist plymouth and they scored from the resulting free kick, i think that MA has put his foot down and told everyone the only way is up.

agreed thats why most of the shit players are being sold or let them go :icon_wink

agreed thats why most of the shit players are being sold or let them go :icon_wink
new chairman, new manager, new players, the best and only way to start fresh and keep the players that the fans believe are good, thats why only hume got a contract;) i bet most players are shitting it, but his PM deal came straight out of the blue, i really didnt expect him to leave tbh, and he has for 650K i quite enjoyed my beer last night ;)

Yeah, the defence was so much tighter without him and we never had any mistakes from the other defenders did we? :120:

Yeah, the defence was so much tighter without him and we never had any mistakes from the other defenders did we? :120:
i ment games that i saw last season, all fecking 3 of them he made the mistake after i had enough to leave the country ;)

Can't understand him wanting to move Charlton - because he will be 3rd choice there. Should play in the African Nations Cup period for Charlton.

As along as he's gone at expense of keeping PK and GM and I am not really bothered.

Good luck Paddy - certainly gave you're all but at time it wasn't good enough (like the rest of the squad)

McCarthy cared so much and was so passionate about the club, that he would rather wander around his local B&Q than travel down with the rest of the squad and support the team in an important match away at Plymouth, and that from our supposed club skipper, speaks volumes about lack of discipline and professionalism that has engulfed the club over the last few years.

McCarthy cared so much and was so passionate about the club, that he would rather wander around his local B&Q than travel down with the rest of the squad and support the team in an important match away at Plymouth, and that from our supposed club skipper, speaks volumes about lack of discipline and professionalism that has engulfed the club over the last few years.
least his shitty captains comments are off the os from next season, he use chat so much bull

i ment games that i saw last season, all fecking 3 of them he made the mistake after i had enough to leave the country ;)

The way it is portrayed by our fans (not just on this board) all the errors in defense this season are down to PM. But then they will also argue that he has hardly played because of injury and suspension. Can't have it both ways I'm afraid.

I feel this another MdV situation here. He misses a chance and gets pilloried for it. Tosser Dublin misses same chance and cries of 'Dion' go up. I just don't get it.

As for the comments that PM can get lost because he turned down a new contract, well, I'll quote Tosser Dublin again, don't remember him getting the same stick.

Perhaps its just me. I do not intend to carry on with my moaning about this, I'll accept that I'm in a small minority over PM, but I'll never understand how some players are picked out for abuse at times when other players are just as bad if not worse.

So you know for certain it was his choice not to travel do you?

It doesn't matter as far as I am concerned whether he was better than the other two or worse, which ever it was it wasn't by enough to overcome the fact that he wanted to leave. If he was exceptionally better I would have perhaps wanted him to stay regardless, but he wasn't, so he can feck off. I liked him when he was here and thought he had potential, but no more so really than Maccauley and Kisnorbo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669