2018 World Cup Bid

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is as much chance as anywhere else in the country.

In theroy yes but I just have a feeling that they won't go for any east midlands ground at all.

In theroy yes but I just have a feeling that they won't go for any east midlands ground at all.

You might know something I dont but I would have thought the East Midlands would make a perfect location for a stadium and would also give teams who set up base there easy access to other stadiums depending on how far they went in the competition.

No doubt Leicester will get picked as one of the stadiums and then England doesnt win the bid :)

Apparently the bid team want a good geographical spread of venues. And seeing as Birmingham will only have 1 stadium, I think it's highly likely another will go to the Midlands. It's also possible that Derby and Leicester could be picked.

Nottingham are having problems between the County and City Councils. The City have decided against redeveloping the City Ground, and want to build a new stadium outside the City. The County Council is against this, wishing not to build on Green Belt Land. The bid is still there, but it doesn't look like they can agree on much.

Both Derby and Leicester are in generally good locations for transport, with both being linked to the M1, EMA, Birmingham Airport, and the rail network. I'd think that Leicester is marginally ahead on this factor.

Who knows...? We haven't got too long left until the decision is made.

Also, the Facebook Group I started has over 4,500 members!

If England did get the world cup and Leicester is chosen as one of the stadiums...were would the funds come from and how much would it be for the capacity increase?

If England did get the world cup and Leicester is chosen as one of the stadiums...were would the funds come from and how much would it be for the capacity increase?

I think you may be asking the wrong people.

Yeah, I read that too. I thought it was the FIFA rules that stated only one city could have 2 stadia. It will end up being poor if there are 4 in London, 2 in Manchester, and 2 in Liverpool. Not exactly a great geographical spread.

Maybe if a city has two stadiums they will still have the same number of games in the city, just fewer per stadium.

They're bound to get it then. Like when France were favourites to get the 2012 Olympics.
Yeah like when Man Utd were favourites to win the prem in 2008 and they did. Like when Leicester were favourites to beat Yeovil last season and they did.

Yeah, I read that too. I thought it was the FIFA rules that stated only one city could have 2 stadia. It will end up being poor if there are 4 in London, 2 in Manchester, and 2 in Liverpool. Not exactly a great geographical spread.

Sheffield want 2 as well.

for what it's worth - The Sun has us as one of the favourites out of the 'non-certainties'.

not quite sure on the two cities rule any more...thought it was written in stone that only the host city can have two, which massively helps Leicester as perfectly decent stadia like the City of Manchester get ruled out...

but the BBC are saying the bid will deffo include double city bids...

let's hope FIFA put their foot down and keep the rule...maybe they are changing it, maybe they ar toying with changing it depending on the bids that come in

we are also helped by the stadium existing, although it will need an extension. and Leicester has decent transport, M1, train just over an hour to St Pancras International (!) and East Midlands Airport

Plymouth can feck off, but i think it might be hard to tell Bristol and Plymouth to sling their hooks and annoy all of the SW of England...

Milton Keynes can feck off too, it's not a footballing city

problem for us is, i can't them picking all three East Midland cities (although an East Midlands group would be great) Nottingham have the advantage of being more famous, but the stadium isn't built

i can't see why they would actually turn any bid down that was sound financially, we'd say to the world "look how much we love football, we have 20 stadia to choose from"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669