2018 World Cup Bid

Status
Not open for further replies.
If England did get the world cup and Leicester is chosen as one of the stadiums...were would the funds come from and how much would it be for the capacity increase?

http://www.leisuremanagement.co.uk/newsdetail1.cfm?codeID=161173&CFID=33875888&CFTOKEN=33013358

the council

it is estimated to cost £15m, but it should make money long term. some of it will be offset by sponsorship. Nuremburg said they made £1m in the short term...

not sure if the council help LCFC do the extension, i would think not. City would benefit from the sales on the day, the corporate boxes and booze of 40,000 (it would definitely sell out for one game) and of course the gate receipts

and City benefit from the extra capacity for big games (and if we get back to the Prem)

City would also benefit by, if we aren't promoted, we are a more salable club because the capacity to make extra money by filling the ground is attractive for an investor

wouldn't whoever owns the stadium be a bit pissed off with us extending it before paying off the debt!?

I would have thought that the opposite would be the case. Everything would have to be agreed with them in any case.

I'm in two minds on this. The financial boost for the city would be great - higher profile, more investment, employment etc. But the selfish Leicester City supporting part of me doesn't really want us to be playing in an expanded stadium, when we are normally get nowhere near our full capacity as it is.

I'm not necessarily against Leicester bidding, just worried about how it will affect atmosphere at home games.

Notts are way behind both Leicester and Derby in terms of being able to stage a WC game, if indeed any of the East Mids cities are selected I expect it ti be between us and Derby, and I just expect us to pip them to it.

http://www.leisuremanagement.co.uk/newsdetail1.cfm?codeID=161173&CFID=33875888&CFTOKEN=33013358

the council

it is estimated to cost £15m, but it should make money long term. some of it will be offset by sponsorship. Nuremburg said they made £1m in the short term...

not sure if the council help LCFC do the extension, i would think not. City would benefit from the sales on the day, the corporate boxes and booze of 40,000 (it would definitely sell out for one game) and of course the gate receipts

and City benefit from the extra capacity for big games (and if we get back to the Prem)

City would also benefit by, if we aren't promoted, we are a more salable club because the capacity to make extra money by filling the ground is attractive for an investor

I'd be amazed if we could ever sell 40,000 tickets. We could possibly sell more than the present 32,500 capacity against one of the big 4 but apart from that it would be a bit of a white elephant.

I'm sure I heard that Derby sent their bid to Wembley on the deadline day, without the Contract signed by Derby County FC giving them permission to use the stadium.

Is it just me, or isn't that a major part of the bid?!

Stadia? It's somewhat important, yes.

Well Leicester will find out today if we'll be a host city for the planned 2018 World Cup bid.

I reckon we're in.

Yes, we will find out today...

I have my doubts, but I have my fingers crossed.

In most of the stories I have read, we're very much favoured as being included.

I think I also read, that Sir Steve Redgrave was on our team of supporters.

Oh, I agree we seem to have one of the better bids. What worries me is that Leicester isn't typically seen as a "fashionable" city.

I think as a city, we would deserve it more than our local rivals having staged major events, top quality facilities, etc.

I'm just generally a bit "glass half-empty" about it.

Oh, I agree we seem to have one of the better bids. What worries me is that Leicester isn't typically seen as a "fashionable" city.

I think as a city, we would deserve it more than our local rivals having staged major events, top quality facilities, etc.

I'm just generally a bit "glass half-empty" about it.

South Africa is not what I would class as a 'Fashionable' country either.

Having read bits and bobs on all the host cities I would say we are in with a very decent shout, easily to most comprehensive bid in the East Mids.

South Africa is not what I would class as a 'Fashionable' country either.

Having read bits and bobs on all the host cities I would say we are in with a very decent shout, easily to most comprehensive bid in the East Mids.

The trouble is that FIFA chose South Africa, it's the England Bid Team that's choosing the cities.

We have got a very good chance, better than a lot of other bids, but it's not up to anyone other than the commitee. Until Leicester is read out at the Press Conference at 3pm, i'll be keeping my fingers tightly crossed.

I reckon were in too.

I think it will be

London - Wembley + Emirates
Manchester - Old Trafford + City of Manchester
Birmingham - Villa park
Newcastle - St James Park
Liverpool - New Stadium
Bristol - New Stadium
Leicester - Walkers Stadium
Sunderland - Stadium of Light
Leeds - Elland Road

Plus one of either Sheffield or another London stadium

I reckon were in too.

I think it will be

London - Wembley + Emirates
Manchester - Old Trafford + City of Manchester
Birmingham - Villa park
Newcastle - St James Park
Liverpool - New Stadium
Bristol - New Stadium
Leicester - Walkers Stadium
Sunderland - Stadium of Light
Leeds - Elland Road

Plus one of either Sheffield or another London stadium

You've not read any of the rest of the thread have you?

If chosen, how exactly would the ground expansion be funded anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669