Alan Young

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's very easy to forget how difficult commentary can be, especially when someone isn't used to doing it and isn't comfortable.

The (alleged) outrage around Young, though, is misguided. Without going into overly harsh reasoning, there are other ex-pros out there who could do a much better job. DesertFox is right in calling him "out of touch" - the least you can expect from someone in broadcast is a bit of knowledge past "he's done well there", and clear signs that there's been some effort to research. Getting the basics right is a start.

Local radio is a hub of rose-tintedness, but it doesn't have to be that way. Young embraced it and took it to extreme levels at times, when all people really need is an honest evaluation of events. Hopefully whoever steps in will bring it to the table; listeners have a right to more.

Latest from Mr Young's Facebook:

"Hello you lot – thank you once again for your support over the past few years... especially in what has been a difficult week for me... and I've been genuinely overwhelmed by your kind messages. I had a meeting with the BBC bosses today where we had a full and frank exchange of views and have parted on good terms, having accepted their decision. The BBC have decided to use a new summariser for the coming season and I would like to wish whoever that is my full support.
Of course I am extremely sad that my time at Radio Leicester as match summariser has reached this conclusion but I will retain many happy memories of those four seasons behind the microphone, giving my views on Leicester City, to you lot, our fantastic supporters.
It's now time to move on and draw a line under the past and I hope you will continue to give our great club – manager and players – as well as my former colleagues at Radio Leicester – your usual, magnificent support.
I do hope the lads have a fantastic time in the Premier League, as I'm sure they will, and I look forward to bumping into some of you at the KP during the coming season.
Once again, your support will always hold a special place in my heart.
Love you all,
Youn9y x
PS Many, many thanks to my good friend Geoff Peters for his help and support, especially today... it means a lot pal."

"Hello you lot – thank you once again for your support over the past few years... especially in what has been a difficult week for me... and I've been genuinely overwhelmed by your kind messages. I had a meeting with the BBC bosses today where we had a full and frank exchange of views and have parted on good terms, having accepted their decision. The BBC have decided to use a new summariser for the coming season and I would like to wish whoever that is my full support.
Of course I am extremely sad that my time at Radio Leicester as match summariser has reached this conclusion but I will retain many happy memories of those four seasons behind the microphone, giving my views on Leicester City, to you lot, our fantastic supporters.
It's now time to move on and draw a line under the past and I hope you will continue to give our great club – manager and players – as well as my former colleagues at Radio Leicester – your usual, magnificent support.
I do hope the lads have a fantastic time in the Premier League, as I'm sure they will, and I look forward to bumping into some of you at the KP during the coming season.
Love you all,
Youn9y x
PS Many, many thanks to my good friend Geoff Peters for his help and support, especially today... even though you're now going to take my job you bastard! it means a lot pal."

Fair enough.

Love you all,
Youn9y x
PS Many, many thanks to my good friend Geoff Peters for his help and support, especially today... it means a lot pal."
Good that is has come to a conclusion.

Next please

Have the mongies ended the hunger strike?

Last edited:
Some of the comments are just daft.

its a joke youn9y your one of our own will never listen to radio leicester again
Parting good terms or not im done with Radio leicester now hope plenty more follow an let them see how big a mistake it costs them All best big man you are still the best
What a joke not gonna be the same, I won't be listening in the car on the way home
Still can't understand their decision, that's me done with radio Leicester, they won't get anybody better, good luck big man, I'm gonna miss that Scottish accent on match days x
Well that's me and radio leicester finished mate. I really hope you get back on the air with some one because you are a natural at being a pundit/ summariser why not see if you can get onto sky they have two ex city strikers as pundits in smith and cottee you could make it a three pronged city attack on Saturdays. All the best pal best wishes to you and your
Sad Alan, at least youve parted on good terms, you will drop on another job in football, try sky or BT sport, good look matey.
Even "ELVIS" or "HENRY IIIV" as the new commentator will not fetch me back
:icon_conf
Thats the problem with the World today too many backstabbers that want what someone else has got, I always say if you can't say it to their face then its not worth saying but then i'm old school GOOD LUCK YOUNGY WITH WHATEVER PATH YOU GO DOWN NEXT MATEY.
:017:

It genuinely concerns me that these people exist and are allowed to walk amongst us.

But if it is simply a 'new voice/approach' as the reason for not renewing his contract, why all the 'not appropriate to disclose in public' nonsense.

Plenty of people have been victims of 'new voice/face' needed without the sordid secrecy surrounding this.

Crumbs, how Alan Partidgesque the whole thing is. As I'm lucky enough to see most games, and also out of Radio Leicester's range, I've only had the pleasure of listening to Mr Young two or three times. Each time it made me rue Marconi picking up his screwdriver and soldering iron.

I have enjoyed listening to Alan Young on away games and the forum and wish him well.

To my surprise, many people .supported the BBC decision although I suspect Desert Fox may only have given "faux support" and Waxed only "alleged support." .

Who would have thought that the sacking of a part time sports broadcaster would have caused such a kerfuffle. The only aspect not alluded to is the racist one; how dare an English organisation make a decision such as this without considering the implications for Scottish independence. The mind boggles at such incompetence.

I have enjoyed listening to Alan Young on away games and the forum and wish him well.

To my surprise, many people .supported the BBC decision although I suspect Desert Fox may only have given "faux support" and Waxed only "alleged support." .

I managed to listen to him twice; the second time I am amazed my radio was still in one piece considering his almost hatred of certain players. I am happy with this decision and hope they have found someone who will provide decent commentary (and will tell Stringer to shut up when he starts rambling about teddies or pies).

It is only right to acknowledge that on this issue Foxes Talk and The Mercury have done rather better than Talking Balls..

In what way have they "done rather better" on this issue exactly David? Have we failed in your eyes because we haven't joined in with all of the absurd histrionics and have generally agreed with RL's decision not to renew the part-time contract of somebody whose football knowledge is based somewhere in the jurassic era and who isn't a very good summariser, not by any stretch of anybody's fevered imagination?

We all really must try much, much harder lads and lasses, we've disappointed David with our calm, measured take on this. We need to whip ourselves into more of a frenzy over this appalling ruination of a man with a slight connection to LCFC. I for one am going to partake of some self-flagellation and will be ranting and wailing around a bonfire until I'm suitably feverish and outraged, I'll be dervishlike before you know it.

Some of the comments are just daft.

:icon_conf

:017:

And another thing. The geezer that takes over from you [Youn9y] better be top draw, otherwise I can see another David Moyes scenario.

So this bloke presumably thinks we're going to finish 7th in the league...

... and with Youn9y in the commentary team, we would no doubt been able to get a European spot?

Hold on a minute.

What did Radio Leicester do wrong here? Am I missing something?

Perhaps Mr. Gwilliam could illuminate it for me.

The BBC have sacked Alan Young.

I know technically he has not been sacked as he was never a member of staff but that is merely a quibble. You must be the only Leicester supporter who has not heard.

We all know about his part-time contract not being renewed and that we won't have to suffer him again next season, but what is it that you think that RL has done 'wrong'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669