Alan Young

Status
Not open for further replies.
I stopped listening to radio commentary a while back. You get a better idea of the match from text commentary.

I'd put myself forward as his replacement but I couldn't stand working along side stringer. He'd have to go before i'd accept the role :)
Maybe our own 4-4-2 will step into the breach. Maybe he can shed some light on what's going on? (Not sure he'd be allowed to though)

I found him irritating ill informed and biased. The bias was not about City but the players, he had his favourites and others he couldn't stand. He expected all listeners to share and agree with his critical analysis of matches despite the fact they were generally inane, and wildly inaccurate. As for Stringer he didn't have the intelligence to contradict him. So I'm not sorry he has gone and surely his replacement can't be any worse.
I agree with all of that Borderfox, but I did need to correct your comment about Stringy

Over the years there has been a fair bit of criticism of Foxes Talk and The Mercury. On this thread Talking Balls has given us a video of somebody called Alhaji Kamara having a tantrum and some gipsy rambling on about Garth Brooks. It is only right to acknowledge that on this issue Foxes Talk and The Mercury have done rather better than Talking Balls..

a fair bit of support for Mr Young on the moan in

I liked Young when he first started, it was nice to listen to somebody who you could tell cared, even if i didn't always agree with him. But his attitude toward Yakubu caused me to loose all respect for him.

I liked Young when he first started, it was nice to listen to somebody who you could tell cared, even if i didn't always agree with him. But his attitude toward Yakubu caused me to loose all respect for him.

I'm like that with people who have a lose grasp on their spelling.

People get the boot all the time. He was ok, nothing special. Hilarious and annoying at the same time. Don't understand the fuss at all. He's had 4 years and the Radio bosses think it's time to move on. Who knows it might work out for the best. For every one person standing up for him, there's another who isn't.

He's got a meeting with them on Wednesday, hopefully they'll reiterate their decision and put this debacle to bed.

Last edited:
People get the boot all the time. He was ok, nothing special. Hilarious and annoying at the same time. Don't understand the fuss at all. He's had 4 years and the Radio bosses think it's time to move on. Who knows it might work out for the best. For every one person standing up for him, there's another who isn't.

He's got a meeting with them on Wednesday, hopefully they'll reiterate their decision and put this debacle to bed.

This has not been a great thread and now we find the BBC are going to put a debacle to bed.

I have just listened to Stuart Thomas evading Ian Stringer's questions. There is a very offensive technique called "the broken record" whereby someone simply repeats a phrase whatever the question. For Stuart Thomas it was "ensuring our football coverage remains first class with the level of expertise our listeners have come to expect." This is coupled with "We are moving forward."

What Stuart Thomas did not realise is that using the technique in front of a third party like a radio audience makes it obvious that you are evading the question. It would have been nice for Stringer to have said "You have used the same pat phrase for three different questions is there any chance of you answering the question instead" or "You are hardly going to say you will be moving backward."
Of course, Ian Stringer was in a difficult position interviewing somebody who can influence his career. It would be interesting to know what Ian Stringer privately thought of Stuart Thomas performance in that interview.

This has not been a great thread and now we find the BBC are going to put a debacle to bed.

I have just listened to Stuart Thomas evading Ian Stringer's questions. There is a very offensive technique called "the broken record" whereby someone simply repeats a phrase whatever the question. For Stuart Thomas it was "ensuring our football coverage remains first class with the level of expertise our listeners have come to expect." This is coupled with "We are moving forward."

What Stuart Thomas did not realise is that using the technique in front of a third party like a radio audience makes it obvious that you are evading the question. It would have been nice for Stringer to have said "You have used the same pat phrase for three different questions is there any chance of you answering the question instead" or "You are hardly going to say you will be moving backward."
Of course, Ian Stringer was in a difficult position interviewing somebody who can influence his career. It would be interesting to know what Ian Stringer privately thought of Stuart Thomas performance in that interview.
What's wrong about this thread then, David?

We've had rambling gypsies, a video of a hysterically overreacting player being sent off, Macky's new signature, a Mawsleyism, a grumpy old man, bad spelling etc etc
The more I think about it, the more I think this is a strong candidate for TOTY

Whilst generally not jumping on conspiracy theory bandwagons, as the BBC twerp kept repeating 'We gave reasons to Alan Young, but it would not be appropriate to repeat them in public', is it possible that Alan has done or said something to someone that is very non-PC and the BBC are wanting to drop him fast because of it, rather than just 'moving forwards' like they did when they got rid of Neville Fulger?

Hold on a minute.

What did Radio Leicester do wrong here? Am I missing something?

Perhaps Mr. Gwilliam could illuminate it for me.

Hold on a minute.

What did Radio Leicester do wrong here? Am I missing something?

Perhaps Mr. Gwilliam could illuminate it for me.

The BBC have sacked Alan Young.

I know technically he has not been sacked as he was never a member of staff but that is merely a quibble. You must be the only Leicester supporter who has not heard.

The BBC have sacked Alan Young.

I know technically he has not been sacked as he was never a member of staff but that is merely a quibble. You must be the only Leicester supporter who has not heard.

They haven't sacked him either - no more than City have sacked those no longer required players who had reached the end of their contracts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669