Alan Young

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could be Muzzy coming in to replace him? I'd like that. Although Stringer probably rates himself above Muz as a Leicester legend.

I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't akin to the Birchenall farce a few years back. AY is probably asking for a few quid extra which is being refused. He's trying to force the issue, etc.

If he does get replaced, I have no confidence whatsoever that RL will make an astute decision. Whilst he was limited in his insight into the game, he did offer a pleasant contrast with IS and will be missed by me.

I don't listen to RL so I don't care about this. But do people really want a good tactical grasp from local radio? Surely most people want people who can describe what's happening at a basic level with a bit of local bias chucked in?

It's like when people moan at MOTD pundits for not providing in depth tactical analysis. The people watching have come in from the pub and want to see some goals. You pick your content to suit your audience. There are plenty of other sources of good tactical analysis, if you think there's something lacking, you can watch the games and do it yourself.

Could be Muzzy coming in to replace him? I'd like that. Although Stringer probably rates himself above Muz as a Leicester legend.

Is this just something you decided you would like or is their a hint of truth?

I enjoyed Alan Young's comments and am disappointed.

Whether the decision was right or not the behaviour of the executives at Radio Leicester has been contemptible. "A spokesman said the corporation felt it was time for a change" - corporations do not feel anything. The decision whether right or wrong was made by people with names. If you are not willing to put your name to a statement you should not make it. If you feel a decision is right you should have the integrity to put your name to it.

The only name we are given is Jane Hill. Is she "the corporation"? Presumably she is not "the spokesman". Whatever her other involvement the decision to use the phone and avoid telling Alan Young to his face is moral cowardice.

In the big scheme of things the sacking of Alan Young is of little consequence. . However, this tactic is used on serious issues. Hiding behind phrases like "the corporation" or "a spokesman" enables people to behave badly with impunity.

Last edited:
I enjoyed Alan Young's comments and am disappointed.

Whether the decision was right or not the behaviour of the executives at Radio Leicester has been contemptible. "A spokesman said the corporation felt it was time for a change" - corporations do not feel anything. The decision whether right or wrong was made by people with names. If you are not willing to put your name to a statement you should not make it. If you feel a decision is right you should have the integrity to put your name to it.

The only name we are given is Jane Hill. Is she "the corporation"? Presumably she is not "the spokesman". Whatever her other involvement the decision to use the phone and avoid telling Alan Young to his face is moral cowardice.

In the big scheme of things the sacking of Alan Young is of little consequence. . However, this tactic is used on serious issues. Hiding behind phrases like "the corporation" or "a spokesman" enables people to behave badly with impunity.

I feel desperately sorry for him. I'm sure he would have paid out of his own pocket to keep doing the job. I wonder what Ian Stringer thinks and whether he was consulted. It's inconceivable he would have agreed to the sacking. I've listened to the commentaries ever since Radio Leicester started doing them and Youngie and Stringy have been the best informed and most entertaining combo by far.

Why didn't they consult the fans who listen to the radio? Shame on them.

I don't listen to RL so I don't care about this. But do people really want a good tactical grasp from local radio? Surely most people want people who can describe what's happening at a basic level with a bit of local bias chucked in?

Unfortunately he didnt even provide this level of commentary. All I need now is for Stringer to follow him out the door.

There's a campaign on FB I notice to write email phone Radio Leicester to overturn the decision.
Jesus Christ on a Grifter with Gandhi! How ****ing annoying is that vacuous bint? The one that's whipping all of the blue mongies into a deranged frenzy.
They're planning on picketing the RL studios during the next Moan-In. I doubt most of them are able to get themselves dressed of a morning without assistance.

....or more likely; Steve Walsh :icon_roll

I'm sure they'd only do that if they'd never heard him trying to speak.

As someone mentioned earlier, Tim Flowers was good when he did the job, but as he's coaching that lot up the A46 now I don't think he'll be available.

I listen to Carlisle commentaries on Radio Cumbria, and their commentator is nearly as annoying as Stringer, often preferring to talk about the food he ate at the services on the way to the ground rather than what's actually happening on the pitch. But his summariser Chris Lumsdon, who played until fairly recently, does a decent job talking about the game, with insights into tactics etc, and as he's played with or against many of the players involved he can also speak knowledgeably about them. They also sometimes have Grant Holt for midweek games, and he's decent too.

Young seems to have a lot of supporters, but many of them like him for his 'pashun', rather than because of his analysis of the game. I'd rather listen to someone who can tell me what's happening, and why it's happening.

Its like having a petition to get Hume back in the side

Last edited:
I would want Trevor Benjamin back before Hume!

On a serious note, what the feck does 'time for a change' imply?

Were there complaints about him? What needed to be changed? His accent? His friendly banter with Stringer and the fans?

As someone suggested, he would probably do the job for free, as would many fans given half a chance!

i've listened to some of youngy's punditry and i suspect that RL are concerned he will say something that isnt PC. the club have a higher profile now and anything less than a 'straight bat' will be picked up far more.

So those two cheekie chappies from Sky are unlikely to be offered the post then? :icon_bigg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669