Are we bottling it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
XG doesn’t take into account who is taking the chance just where it is, it’ll be disproved then everyone will jump on the next thing

First 19 games:
xG 31 G 41 Delta +10
xGC 23 GC 18 Delta -5

Last 18 games:
xG 31 G 26 Delta -5
xGC 22 GC 21 Delta 1

We've stopped significantly outperforming our xG. This is strongly linked to Vardy's conversion rate, where he outperformed xG by 6 goals in games 1-19 (xG 11 G 17), but has underperformed by 2 in games 20-37 (xG 8 G 6).

The xG conversation has reminded me that Michael Cox of The Athletic and Totally Football Show has spent most of the season saying how our good form wouldn't last and at some point we'd slip down the table. Mainly because of exactly that - we were significantly outperforming our xG, and it wasn't sustainable.

Obviously he was looking very wrong when we were 14 points clear of 5th. But turns out he had a point...

The xG conversation has reminded me that Michael Cox of The Athletic and Totally Football Show has spent most of the season saying how our good form wouldn't last and at some point we'd slip down the table. Mainly because of exactly that - we were significantly outperforming our xG, and it wasn't sustainable.

Obviously he was looking very wrong when we were 14 points clear of 5th. But turns out he had a point...
Yep. Some players can maintain a consistent level of goals/assists above their xG/xA due to playing at a different level (Messi, etc.) or being more clinical than the average (Aguero, Aubameyang, etc.). But the majority of players and teams will regress to the mean of their expected performance.

In cockney rhyming slang, "bottle" means "arse" (bottle and glass). Originally, you would "lose your bottle" - i.e. be so scared as to lose control of your bowel function. This has been shortened down to just "bottle it".

I didn‘t know that until just now.

In cockney rhyming slang, "bottle" means "arse" (bottle and glass). Originally, you would "lose your bottle" - i.e. be so scared as to lose control of your bowel function. This has been shortened down to just "bottle it".

I didn‘t know that until just now.
I didn’t know that either. Top teaching Ted.

Cockney rhyming slang also uses the term "aris" to describe an arse. It is double slang, "aris"is an abbreviation of aristotle from which the term "bottle and glass" derives.

'aris, Aristotle, bottle, bottle and glass, arse

Tbh, I thought it was one of the most well known examples of rhyming slang. Obviously, you have to be a southerner to rhyme glass with arse.

Cockneys can **** off. Mugs. It's an arse....call it an arse. ****ing wankers.

Our last 22 games: W6 D6 L10 F28 A31 P24

It's not quite relegation form but over a season that gives you 41 points which isn't good enough for a squad like ours and a manager who is one of the top paid bosses in world football.

We well and truly bottled it. It was a complete collapse.

That points total would have got us 7th place in any of the previous three seasons. The reason we got 5th was down to nothing more than a lame season from Spurs and Arsenal.

A season that promised so much and ended so weakly. BR messed up.

Our last 22 games: W6 D6 L10 F28 A31 P24

It's not quite relegation form but over a season that gives you 41 points which isn't good enough for a squad like ours and a manager who is one of the top paid bosses in world football.

We well and truly bottled it. It was a complete collapse.

That points total would have got us 7th place in any of the previous three seasons. The reason we got 5th was down to nothing more than a lame season from Spurs and Arsenal.

A season that promised so much and ended so weakly. BR messed up.
But you’re forgetting we’re little old Leicester. We should just be happy with what we get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4490
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4366
8Coventry City4263