Are we bottling it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I've learned something. I had to google xG.

Tbh, I'm not sure how it answers the 'bottling it' question since I just find myself moving the question down the line and asking 'why have we stopped taking advantage of good situations?' (and finding a possible solution in 'are we bottling them'!) But then I'm like that annoying child that always asks 'why?' I find questions more interesting than answers. More of a philosopher than a scientist.

I find this really interesting - nicked from the Mercury:

First 19 games:
When City had higher xG: W10 D0 L0
When City had lower xG: W2 D3 L4

Last 18 games:
When City had higher xG: W6 D2 L4
When City had lower xG: W0 D3 L3

This shows we've had a better xG in the second half of the season than the first - 10/9 vs. 12/6

In the first half of the season, when we dominated, we won every single time. In the second half of the season, we've dominated just as much, if not more, but we've not taken the chances.

If we'd took advantage of the xG positions in the second half of the season in the same way as we did in the first half of the season, we'd have an additional 16 points right now.

This shows that we're not really bottling it, we've just stopped taking advantage of our good situations in matches.
Or it shows that xG is as ****ing useless as a measurement as many belive it to be.

First 19 games:

Last 18 games:

This shows we've had a better xG in the second half of the season than the first - 10/9 vs. 12/6

In the first half of the season, when we dominated, we won every single time. In the second half of the season, we've dominated just as much, if not more, but we've not taken the chances.

If we'd took advantage of the xG positions in the second half of the season in the same way as we did in the first half of the season, we'd have an additional 16 points right now.

This shows that we're not really bottling it, we've just stopped taking advantage of our good situations in matches.
First 19 games:
xG 31 G 41 Delta +10
xGC 23 GC 18 Delta -5

Last 18 games:
xG 31 G 26 Delta -5
xGC 22 GC 21 Delta 1

We've stopped significantly outperforming our xG. This is strongly linked to Vardy's conversion rate, where he outperformed xG by 6 goals in games 1-19 (xG 11 G 17), but has underperformed by 2 in games 20-37 (xG 8 G 6).

'outperform the xG' . wow, it's either a chat-up line or a foreign language.

Though maybe the xG is wrong. Somebody put a number in the wrong spreadsheet cell. Or was given the wrong number in the first place. What's the margin for error on xG? Or the statistical significance? I'm making it up now.

Though maybe the xG is wrong. Somebody put a number in the wrong spreadsheet cell. Or was given the wrong number in the first place. What's the margin for error on xG? Or the statistical significance? I'm making it up now.
You are quickly becoming one of my favourite posters.

Do you mean the xA of xG? Joe_Fox Joe_Fox might have started a spreadsheet I'm not sure

xG is an absolute load of bollocks.

is Xhamster anything to do with Freddie Starr?
You can put him in the search bar on there and see what happens but I really wouldn’t recommend it.

First 19 games:

Last 18 games:

If anything it suggests the opposite to me. Missing good chances is us being shit at a really important part of the game. It’s part of the bottle job.

I quite like xG is a metric. It isn’t made up. It’s only a representation of things which actually happen on the pitch. It’s just counting.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4490
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4469