Pre Match Arsenal v Leicester City

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks. Yes - Gillies was a man of integrity. Rodney Fern? - cousin of David Nish I think. He was a player for whom the anthem 'He's here, he's there. he's every f...ing where' may have been invented.

I was there in the North Bank Highbury about 1970 when Rodney Fern scored a fantastic headed goal at the old Clock End against the Arsenal which was disallowed although no-one ever understood why.

As much as I'd like to see a team featuring our best players, I suspect we'll see something along the lines of

Schwarzer
Simpson Wasilewski Morgan(og) Konchesky
Mahrez James Drinkwater Schlupp
Nugent Ulloa

Pearson will be pleased with the performance but disappointed to come away with nothing when we deserved to get something out of the game but it just goes to show the margins in this league etc etc etc zzzzzzzz

Last edited:
Not quite. The board gave a vote of confidence in Gilles but sacked his coach. Gillies then walked out. City lost 7-1 at Everton the following day - Rodney Fern got the one IIRC and I felt suicidal on the way home.

Gillies and Niigel also have the Nottingham connection.

And I was there at Old Trafford for the final match of the 68/69 season where we needed to win to stay up - after Ally Brown had raised hopes with a few goals following the FA Cup Final defeat to M/c City.

We took the lead at Old Trafford and the support was fantastic. Sadly it didn't last.... don't think that Rodney Fern was picked for that game.

As much as I'd like to see a team featuring our best players, I suspect we'll see something along the lines of

Schwarzer
Simpson Wasilewski Morgan(og) Konchesky
Mahrez James Drinkwater Schlupp
Nugent Ulloa

Pearson will be pleased with the performance but disappointed to come away with nothing when we deserved to get something out of the game but it just goes to show the margins in this league etc etc etc zzzzzzzz

Yep. That's the one.

I actually think we are in for a good hiding.

Last edited:
Schwarzer Hamer Kasper
De Laet Simpson Was Wes Upson Huth Konchesky

Vardy

Vardy should have a lot of freedom and space to run at the Arsenal defence.

I was there in the North Bank Highbury about 1970 when Rodney Fern scored a fantastic headed goal at the old Clock End against the Arsenal which was disallowed although no-one ever understood why.

Was that in the FA cup when Rodney 'scored' in the first few minutes of the game?

As I wrote this, I suddenly hoped that Nigel does not use this afternoon's press conference to announce his departure. He must be feeling pretty pissed off at the moment.

I don't think that he's that silly. His stock may be high amongst certain City fans, but I would lay odds, if/when he leaves Leicester he never works at as high a level again.

I don't think that he's that silly. His stock may be high amongst certain City fans, but I would lay odds, if/when he leaves Leicester he never works at as high a level again.

Quite. He'd be foolish to quit. Unless they pay up his contract, he's in the driving seat - and I wouldn't blame him for seeing this through till they take the initiative.

i thought we were going to get hammerred at Stamford Bridge earlier in the season and we stood up to them, maybe they will aurprise us tomorrow

Play a similar system as that at Anfield. Use the wingers as the out ball rather than hoofing anywhere. I'd play Kramaric up front supported by a midfielder.

He won't score until he starts picking the ball up closer to goal playing mahrez or even knockeart in a free role there with him, force the ball to be played on the deck and we could cause the arsenal defence problems, would take real discipline though.

I will be amazed if Albrighton starts, wouldn't surprise me to see most of his old favourites in the line up, I am predicting the following team

Schwazer

de Laet
Morgan
Wasilewski
Konchesky

Mahrez
drink water
King
Schlupp

Nugent
Vardy

Anybody remember the score at Goodison the day after the club said they weren't sacking Matt Gillies?

7 bloody 1. Gillies resigned after that. I remember the p*ss taking I had to endure at school after that game - went on for weeks. Although bizarrely we ended up in the cup final that year.

I would go with:

Schwarzer

Simpson/Wasilewski/Huth/Schlupp

Albrighton/James/Cambiasso/Hammond/Mahrez

Kramaric

I'd change Schwarzer for Hamer but I'd def like to see that team otherwise.

7 bloody 1. Gillies resigned after that. I remember the p*ss taking I had to endure at school after that game - went on for weeks. Although bizarrely we ended up in the cup final that year.

Gillies had in fact already resigned. The club had agreed to his request to delay the announcement of the relegation until 4 on the Saturday i.e. during the match.

Back to the Arsenal game ...... fascinating to see how the team reacts. Just hope we don't get the ref treatment which is usually served to the under dog in this type of fixture

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669