Post Match Aston Villa 2 Leicester 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Change for whom? I keep seeing people say it can't be any worse, either they are naive or blinded by hatred of Pearson. It could be a lot worse, Pearce, Warnock, Redknapp would all be worse. Burnley aren't that much ahead of us, why aren't they calling for Dyche's head in great numbers?

Matt I have been a massive supporter of NP but we are going down with not even a whimper....every managerial change is a gamble there are no nailed on successes but what is clear is that NP has reached his glass ceiling, who knows who is available, who would come and more to the point what difference they might make, but what is perfectly clear is the current set up is failing miserably. Could also be said that supporters of NP are blinded by their love for the bloke, so on this seasons performance please justify why we should persevere?

Last edited:
Matt I have been a massive supporter of NP but we are going down with not even a whimper....every managerial change is a gamble there are no nailed on successes but what is clear is that NP has reached his glass ceiling, who knows who is available, who would come and more to the point what difference they might make, but what is perfectly clear is the current set up is failing miserably

I don't disagree with any of that.

But at the moment I still not sure whether we have a better chance of scrambling some decent performances together under NP (there are plenty of instances when we've played well recently) versus A.N.Other.

I haven't seen one name that I would like to come in, and I'm loathe to re-experience the last 10 years of shite managerial-merry-go-round again.

Change for whom? I keep seeing people say it can't be any worse, either they are naive or blinded by hatred of Pearson. It could be a lot worse, Pearce, Warnock, Redknapp would all be worse. Burnley aren't that much ahead of us, why aren't they calling for Dyche's head in great numbers?

This is just ridiculous. You find it very difficult to countenance people believing a change of manager is the right thing, don't you?

I have long been a supporter of Pearson but I've had enough after today. I don't hate him and I am not naive. If somebody is bad at their job and you have no faith that they will improve then it is acceptable, indeed essential, that they are removed from their position. The decision to remove the current incumbent is not the same as the choice made as to who succeeds him. All managerial changes are inherently risky. It's about balancing that risk. There are a few contenders I'd be inviting to apply for the job were I in charge. It isn't as though there are no plausible candidates out there. Why you have picked out those three names is beyond me. None of them would be candidates. It smacks of somebody determined not to see that Pearson might not be the best option.

There is some suggestion among our fans that keeping Pearson on is less of a risk than removing him because he has a good record in the second tier. Let's not forget, as brilliant as last season was and for all the gratitude he deserves for delivering it, that it took three attempts for him to get us there and that prior to last season all but the first four or five months of 12/13 were characterised by turgid, inconsistent and weak-willed performances. He is no master at that level.

If you cannot see that Burnley are a completely different animal to us then you must be blind. They have experienced two single seasons in the top flight since the 1970s. A significant portion of that period was spent in the fourth tier. Being in the top flight alone is a massive achievement for them in the modern era. Even just comparing the two clubs over the past couple of years, you have in Burnley a club which was miles behind us last season in terms of quality (that isn't to slag them off; they all were) and have invested far less than us since promotion. And yet they are better than us this season. We have gone backwards. To put it in the simplest of terms, Dyche has overachieved by winning promotion with Burnley. Pearson has not overachieved by achieving promotion with Leicester City.

I've always liked Pearson as our manager.

Always been a fan of his attitude. The way he seems to be his own man, rather arrogant, a bit cocky, not the same as most regular managers at most regular clubs. I've always liked him being calm and unflustered, comfortable with his aura.

He really has a problem now though as I see it. He does not seem comfortable at all (well, we are bottom), making decisions that none of us can understand - decisions that are not helping our situation. I can't imagine him showing stress but, to me, he really seems to be suffering in that way.

As it stands, we won't get out of this. I can't think of a realistic magical change we can do to stop the problems this season. I (still) want Pearson as manager but I don't want this arrogant, flustered untouchable man.

Can't wait for next season. Again.

The problem is for me, is that this season has been such a disaster that I actually cannot see how Pearson being able to turn it around next year, for me a fresh broom is needed much in the same way when Pearson walked into the club for the beginning of his first reign

I have been on the fence for quite some time and really don't wish us to have a merry-go-fund of managers BUT Pearsons arrogance in his persona and tactics are staggering.

I think we all know deep down that relegation this season is not too far off a certainty. If you then consider we were today playing perhaps the worst Villa team I can recall who were literally on their knees in terms of confidence. What does our esteemed leader see fit to do against this team who also are the lowest scorers in the division?

He goes for five at the back FFS. Over 6000 fans made the trip to support their team today and NP didn't even hold enough respect for those same (loyal) fans and to LCFC to give them both a chance of progressing to the latter stages of the FA cup and a trip to wembley.

Any loyalty or respect for NP that the fans have is seriously misplaced in my opinion.

Last edited:
I find peoples faith that Pearson would get us promoted again if we are relegated difficult to share. There would be a lack of confidence in Pearson from within the squad and a general negativity that would be very difficult to change. If we are relegated a new manager is a must IMO.

That said I think that a change now is pointless and Pearson is our best hope of survival (slim though it is)
Totally agree.

There is next to no pressure on us to survive now. We are literally falling away now. Hopefully that's a good thing and we can push on and get some results with nothing to lose effectively.

Pearson is the only man for the job for the moment so we must put faith into him as he's the leader of our club. We must support him otherwise we have ZERO chance of survival. If we wanna have a chance we must continue to support whole heartedly.

As for today, I watched a bit of the match from South America but the connection was poor. I think we played pretty badly, it was boring football with no desire. On the plus side, we had James and Was with two very very close efforts, and Kramaric with an excellent goal - Kramaric's goal is a massive boost for him personally and hopefully he can continue to inspire.

We need Huth back into the set up and Morgan out. As for the goalie, Ben Hamer of Kasper back ASAP please. Once again, ANOTHER MS error. We need our players showing the desire they have done s many times in the second half of the season. We can still stay up. COME ON YOU BLUE BOYS!

Reading this and the masses on FT it seems he may have lost the fans with today's display. That will be a very hard thing to win back.

I'm still in a bit of shock as to how diabolically poor this season has been.

The problem as I see it is that Pearson is able to motivate the players against the big teams when they have no chance of winning. The games that we should be doing well in and at least having a go at we don't seem to turn up. Today was just awful. The team was not interested in playing or winning. It was simply an exercise in not getting injured. We don't seem to have a competitive spirit at the moment and I can't see us winning.
I just can't see Pearson's philosophy for the team and the club. He appears to be lost at what to do.

Why must we support Pearson? This is a ridiculous statement. He is our leader so we must show faith in him? No, we don't have to show any faith in him. For at least half the season the majority of fans have supported him and shown faith in him and it has resulted in us being in the position we are in now.

The top and bottom of it is we are on a run that has seen us take 9 points from 20 games. Taking into account yesterday's result we are again on another worrying run of form which has seen us lose 5 out of the last 6 games. We are in free fall.

I know people will point at last season, it was unbelievable and Pearson was rightly rewarded with a new contract and the opportunity to lead us into the Premier league and a bright new exciting era, nobody thought it was going to be easy however since the end of September it has been nothing short of shambolic and inept, for me he has had over half the season and this is much more than a blip.

I also don't subscribe to the fact that next season, we are going to bounce back at the first time of asking, my fear is the lasting damage this has done to the confidence of the players and management and their belief in themselves. As a result there will need to be quite a bit of reconstructive surgery and I fear a hangover next season that will hinder any promotion bid.

For me NP has reached his shelf life with us, I will forever respect him for what he has achieved with us but now feel we are in a situation where change is the only realistic option.

I can work out from our prolonged pattern of performances that the players can only be arsed when it comes to 'glamour' games. I also reckon that Pearson's judgement is so bad on team selection and tactics that we are looking at the new Peter Taylor (Taylor = outstanding coach of young players: Pearson excellent Championship manager - but neither any cop in the PL.

What I can't understand is the paralysis of the owners in dealing with the situation. You would think that the Thais would be very protective of their brand images. Why are they permitting this total embarrassment to roll on?

I can work out from our prolonged pattern of performances that the players can only be arsed when it comes to 'glamour' games. I also reckon that Pearson's judgement is so bad on team selection and tactics that we are looking at the new Peter Taylor (Taylor = outstanding coach of young players: Pearson excellent Championship manager - but neither any cop in the PL.

What I can't understand is the paralysis of the owners in dealing with the situation. You would think that the Thais would be very protective of their brand images. Why are they permitting this total embarrassment to roll on?

Oh behave. How can you compare out best manager for 15 years to probably our worst manager ever?

Can you enlighten us on how relegation affects their "brand images"? It's relegation FFS, hardly total embarrassment when we've not been in this division for 10 years. Why do you think we have a God given right to be in this division?

The amount of bollocks some people talk on this place is beyond belief.

Oh behave. How can you compare out best manager for 15 years to probably our worst manager ever?

Can you enlighten us on how relegation affects their "brand images"? It's relegation FFS, hardly total embarrassment when we've not been in this division for 10 years. Why do you think we have a God given right to be in this division?

Best Manager in Championship; embarrassment in PL; no club has any "rights"but our performances against all but the "glamour" clubs have been generally an embarrassment. If you can't see the relevance to brand images than either I haven't the time to explain or you wouldn't be receptive enough to understand.

Your final point is right......but possibly not in the way you intend!

Dyche's position is VERY different from ours. He, pretty much, has to work with what he has got, Pearson has spent £17m+ this season, and by all accounts, could have spent more. Burnley have over achieved: they were everybody's predicted bottom team: just to make a fight of it is a credit.

All the pro-Pearsonites say, as you have, is "Look how frightening the list of replacements is." You have inside knowledge from the club that the names you tout are, not only on the list, but the whole list of possible managers? Pulis was rubbish, when he was available, now the perceived wisdom is that, were he available it might be worth changing, but as he isn't, we HAVE to keep Pearson. I do not know which continental managers might take the City job, or who would be willing to come from another club. The old adage is 'Keep on doing what you're doing, you'll get the same results'. We are going down with a whimper....

If you can't see the relevance to brand images than either I haven't the time to explain or you wouldn't be receptive enough to understand.

You mean you've realised you're talking utter twaddle?

Dyche's position is VERY different from ours. He, pretty much, has to work with what he has got, Pearson has spent £17m+ this season, and by all accounts, could have spent more. Burnley have over achieved: they were everybody's predicted bottom team: just to make a fight of it is a credit.

All the pro-Pearsonites say, as you have, is "Look how frightening the list of replacements is." You have inside knowledge from the club that the names you tout are, not only on the list, but the whole list of possible managers? Pulis was rubbish, when he was available, now the perceived wisdom is that, were he available it might be worth changing, but as he isn't, we HAVE to keep Pearson. I do not know which continental managers might take the City job, or who would be willing to come from another club. The old adage is 'Keep on doing what you're doing, you'll get the same results'. We are going down with a whimper....

Who's given that perceived wisdom? I still wouldn't swap foe Pulis as I bloody hate the bloke.

Rightly, or wrongly, the owners set out a "plan" that we would be a top six team, within five years. On this basis, to fall so blatantly at the first hurdle would embarrass me! That is not to say that Pearson is to blame, it would have been much better had they promised to build a team that would retain Premier League status and then, raise the bar if/when that objective was achieved.

As to Pearson being our best manager, the period quoted contains a considerable time when we were financially challenged and could not attract good staff. Nigel Pearson never seems to interest other teams looking to change manager: I heard no concern when Crystal Palace, WBA, QPR or Villa were looking for a manager, that they might poach NP. When we were topping the Championship, the rumour mill was equally quiet. I fear that the Pearson 'love in' is very much a Leicester thing and what depresses me most, is that so many on here do not say (as you did, to be fair) that Pearson is good, they issue scare stories of possible replacements.

Who's given that perceived wisdom? I still wouldn't swap foe Pulis as I bloody hate the bloke.

I find that intriguing because I do not like Pulis, but only because I see him as a more successful version of Nigel Pearson. I would grit my teeth for a manager who achieved by methods that I dislike, but see no reason to remain quiet when a style that I dislike fails.

May I ask, with no intended aggression, what it is about Pulis that you see as so objectionable, but do not see in NP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669