Beckford Appeal Successful

Status
Not open for further replies.
Imagine if I, RHDYAL or some other foreigner would have said that, we would have been tarred and feathered! :icon_bigg

:icon_lol: I'm still glad he did say it though, lovely stuff Bob

View attachment 8969

World cup knockout stages?

You try explaining to casual fans why that goal didn't stand...it was a farce.

Yes it was a farce, but why change the game because of one incident?
How many times in World Cups and Euorpean Championships has it happened.
Twice to my reckoning, both involving England and Germany.
That's 1 each.
Was it karma?
I don't know. At the time I was mighty peeved off, but now, life goes on.

How many games have been played since the premiership started?
Add to that the number of internationals and championship/div 1 in that period.
How many times has a goal been "scored" and not been given in all those games? (Also goals not scored that was given as a goal!)

So, why the feck do we need goal line technology?

Very narrow minded view of it to be fair. Goals can mean a hell of a lot, for example had goal line technology been available in 66 we wouldn't be World Cup Winners. Yes they may be used sparingly but they can be the difference between winning the title or just missing out, or staying in a division and going down.

How many games have been played since the premiership started?
Add to that the number of internationals and championship/div 1 in that period.
How many times has a goal been "scored" and not been given in all those games? (Also goals not scored that was given as a goal!)

So, why the feck do we need goal line technology?

Bang!

If there had been goal-line technology in 1966, we would still be waiting for our first World Cup win.

Double bang!

What the frig would anyone talk about in the pub if there was no dubious decision? Frank didn't get his goal - so the **** what? England are still shit and they'd never have won the tourno.

Very narrow minded view of it to be fair. Goals can mean a hell of a lot, for example had goal line technology been available in 66 we wouldn't be World Cup Winners. Yes they may be used sparingly but they can be the difference between winning the title or just missing out, or staying in a division and going down.

Actuallty a quite broad minded view, just not caught up in all the media hype.
Difference between staying up or being relegated, sorry but that is bollox, the season isn't due to the result of 1 game.

Difference between staying up or being relegated, sorry but that is bollox, the season isn't due to the result of 1 game.
That's the point, though - even though poor decisions for and against even out over the course of a season, there's potentially a big difference getting that decision against you in the first match and the last. And yes, those things even out over time as well, but it would just be fairer for everyone if the goals that are goals count, and goals that are not goals don't.

Me, I think that ref's mistakes are quite entertaining and add to the unpredictability of the sport. I think I may say that as someone who enjoys watching football in general rather than as a Leicester fan, though... Obviously, I'd be as livid as everyone else if we'd get a big decision against us.

Last edited:
Me, I think that ref's mistakes are quite entertaining and add to the unpredictability of the sport.

That's exactly what they are, mistakes.
I believe that mistakes would certainly be fewer if all those involved in the game took a closer look at themselves before blaming the man in black. (or whatever colour he wears, maybe they should go back to black and teams change their shirts)
As has been previously mentioned, football could certainly learn a lot from other sports.

Three appeals per game per team. Simple.

...for example had goal line technology been available in 66 we wouldn't be World Cup Winners...
This is just not correct. We still could have won. Annoys me when people say this drivel. It wasn't like we were losing ten nil and that 'goal' was worth eleven goals was it. Idiotic comments.

Most times its a matter of opinion. Even after watching a replay several times from several angles, pundits and fans often disagree. A video referees opinion would not be repected anymore than the on field referees.

I don't think its worth the expense for the relatively few 'clear cut' decisions that are wrong.

How many red cards a season get overturned?

No but a single goal or point can mean a lot for a team that's down there scrapping. Just the same as a a goal or point could mean exactly the same at the top. It could mean a hell of a lot if it goes against you in a match against a rival. I just don't buy into this leave it be movement. If you can improve a sport by tinkering with the system ever so slightly and that has been successfully trialled and implemented in almost every other major sport, I don't see what anyone's problem could be.

No but a single goal or point can mean a lot for a team that's down there scrapping. Just the same as a a goal or point could mean exactly the same at the top. It could mean a hell of a lot if it goes against you in a match against a rival. I just don't buy into this leave it be movement. If you can improve a sport by tinkering with the system ever so slightly and that has been successfully trialled and implemented in almost every other major sport, I don't see what anyone's problem could be.

I do understand what he's saying though. If you're down at the bottom of the table, you're there for a reason. It's shit, but it's not the one game where a dodgy decision cost you points that's got you down there, it's the other games where you just weren't good enough. The same applies to to the opposite end of the table too.

Yes it was a farce, but why change the game because of one incident?
How many times in World Cups and Euorpean Championships has it happened.
Twice to my reckoning, both involving England and Germany.
That's 1 each.
Was it karma?
I don't know. At the time I was mighty peeved off, but now, life goes on.

I remember Romania had a big one in Euro 96 that wasn't given despite being well over the line. I think it was worse because it was their last group match and had it have counted they would have qualified for the knock out stages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669