Beckford Appeal Successful

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like the Frank Lampard goal?

For me that was the tipping point. World Cup game against England and Germany and a mistake that could easily be avoided changes everything.

Nice try MA, but I'm not buying your 'FRANK LAMPARD JOHN TERRY Goal Celebration Stunning Large Gallery Framed Stunning Canvas Art Poster Print Ready To Hang' however much you mention that goal.

(On a side note, that's the first time I've seen the adverts pick up forum text. Is this a new feature?)

The referee wrongly (IMO) sent one of ours off and our ten men bravely went for most of the game to get the nil nil. We even pressed at times and could have won.

Aye - but it were only Wellens what got sent off.

For me that was the tipping point. World Cup game against England and Germany and a mistake that could easily be avoided changes everything.

I think it was Freddie Sears who had a similar one while on loan at Crystal Palace - the ball went straight into the back of the net and bounced out off of the stantion and the ref didn't give a goal. Goal-line tachnology should be brought in immediately to avoid this kind of ludicrous thing happening.

Take your point, but an official on the line would have spotted that, nothing to do with technology. What I'm against is stoppages during play, teams/managers/uncle Tom Cobbly and all being allowed to stop a game a number of times for basically anything, because it would be abused. You see it in cricket, where teams feel they have to use their alloted number of reviews. It doesn't bother me so much in Cricket 'tho, as it is a stop-start game anyway. If I'm watching a game, say up North, I want to know with a reasonable amount of precision what time I can safely catch my train. If there are loads of appeals to the video ref or whatever they want to call him/her, I won't, simple as that.

One of the best Leicester performances I have seen was a couple oif seasons back when we played Newcastle at home. The referee wrongly (IMO) sent one of ours off and our ten men bravely went for most of the game to get the nil nil. We even pressed at times and could have won.

Top battling spirited performance, ten against twelve.

Exactly, the notion that red cards kill the enjoyment of games is laughable.

Maybe they could do a Tennis where a team is allowed to challenge the officials upto a maximum of three times a game. Either way I don't think there's any excuse for technology not being used. The Lampard 'no goal' against Germany could well have changed the whole complexion of the game and we might now be talking about England's second world cup win. They use tech in Rugby and the game still flows nicely IMO. The only instance where stoppages annoy me are in these American sports where there are regular 2-3minute tactical breaks, ad breaks, piss breaks and whatever the hell else breaks they can think of to prolong the match day at the expense of the enjoyment of the key aspect - the match.

Maybe they could do a Tennis where a team is allowed to challenge the officials upto a maximum of three times a game. Either way I don't think there's any excuse for technology not being used. The Lampard 'no goal' against Germany could well have changed the whole complexion of the game and we might now be talking about England's second world cup win. They use tech in Rugby and the game still flows nicely IMO.
Have you been drinking re " England's second world cup win "?:icon_wink Did you not see how abect they were? It is to the England Team and the management's credit that they did not use the goal as an excuse. Also re rugby, that is a far more stop and start game than football, giving the officials easy access to outside help ( i.e., the game stops for scrummages, most kicks and line-outs ). Don't think it is comparable to football IMO.

Maybe they could do a Tennis where a team is allowed to challenge the officials upto a maximum of three times a game. Either way I don't think there's any excuse for technology not being used. The Lampard 'no goal' against Germany could well have changed the whole complexion of the game and we might now be talking about England's second world cup win. They use tech in Rugby and the game still flows nicely IMO. The only instance where stoppages annoy me are in these American sports where there are regular 2-3minute tactical breaks, ad breaks, piss breaks and whatever the hell else breaks they can think of to prolong the match day at the expense of the enjoyment of the key aspect - the match.

This is what I have said earlier and I think you could even work in a system to penalise teams that abuse it, similar to the fair play system. Would be hard to work in but is possible. I don't by into the notion that by adding this review system to the sport that the matches will suddenly become a half hour longer. It is unlikely that teams will use the review system in every game anyway. Especially if there is a set criteria to what it can and can't be used for.

How many games have been played since the premiership started?
Add to that the number of internationals and championship/div 1 in that period.
How many times has a goal been "scored" and not been given in all those games? (Also goals not scored that was given as a goal!)

So, why the feck do we need goal line technology?

To be fair, there were a couple of goals given for not going in or vice versa recently - Palace, as someone mentioned earlier and sure there was one at Watford too unless that was Palace at Watford being referred to!?

I agree with you though, if technology is being introduced it should simply be video replays and not goal line technology which they have been looking into for years and only just implementing it so probably won't be 100% fool proof anyway. I don't buy into the video ref taking too much time either though I do not want the game slowed down compared to what it is now - whenever there is a contentious decision the players are usually arguing/pushing each other around anyway and a video ref could easily look over the incident again and come to a conclusion whilst handbags at dawn continues on the pitch. Same with players being treated for injuries - usually takes a minute or so and a video ref could easily do as before in that time.

Have you been drinking re " England's second world cup win "?:icon_wink Did you not see how abect they were? It is to the England Team and the management's credit that they did not use the goal as an excuse. Also re rugby, that is a far more stop and start game than football, giving the officials easy access to outside help ( i.e., the game stops for scrummages, most kicks and line-outs ). Don't think it is comparable to football IMO.

I think it is personally, football still has stoppages for taking set pieces, throw ins, substitutions and injuries etc. Scrummages may take longer but that is that sport's equivalent of a team setting up to defend or attack a free kick or corner in terms of the stoppage time it causes. Like I say I don't see the harm in it personally.

The point about instances where technology could have proved invaluable being few and far between is a dud-point IMO. I don't know if it is just me but in the last few season's refereeing errors have tended to come under the spotlight more and maybe that's because of the money in the game now that means that every slightly wrong decision could cost one club no end of money. Added to that that form and confidence are frail things. If a decision doesn't go your way when it should and you end up going on a run of defeats after dropping 3 points it can potentially have long lasting repercussions.

Like I said, I think Sep Blatter's argument about the post match dicussion being part of the game is a poor excuse for not using goal-line technology etc. Discussions will still happen even with them in use, as fans dicuss their team's performance rather than have to bitch and moan about officiating blunders that may have cost them the match when we have the means to prevent it.

...we might now be talking about England's second world cup win.

If there had been goal-line technology in 1966, we would still be waiting for our first World Cup win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669