Being Gay

Status
Not open for further replies.
he's a good footballer and he's never done anything to offend Leicester fans, not sure why we should believe Arsenal fans' bullshit and hate him?
I don't hate him, he just sums up modern footballers being cocks. His move to chelsea after a 'derisory' pay rise to 60k a week at the arse makes me mad!
He's prob the best left back england have, but i don't like him..

..not as much as i don't like that snarling little shit rooney

It amazes me that, in this day and age, there are still next to no openly gay professional athletes - there must be a fair few of them. To my knowledge, Gareth Thomas is the only openly gay professional sportsman in the world, which is crazy.

Apart from Thomas, the only other one I can think of is an American wrestler named Orlando Jordan. He even dressed in pink last year and had a bisexual 'storyline' to promote it.

The idea that 'team spirit' is a quality that will be particularly affected by a player being gay is quite curious. Think about your own workplace - there are probably people you get on with, people who annoy you, people you find hard to work with, for all sorts of reasons both petty and important. Why would a football club be different?

TornadoShaun - try changing the phrase 'political correctness gone mad' to 'politeness gone mad' and see what you think. Would it actually bother you not to use the word 'gay' to mean bad?

TornadoShaun - try changing the phrase 'political correctness gone mad' to 'politeness gone mad' and see what you think. Would it actually bother you not to use the word 'gay' to mean bad?

Like I said it's not like the word is used out of a hatred for all things gay but rather by habit. People associate it as being a negative descriptive word without even contemplating the fact that it might be considered by some as a homophobic remark. Also please don't try to single me out as if I'm the only person in the world who has ever used the word gay as a negative...

I can assure you primary school kids across the land are calling each other gay or saying 'that's gay' to describe something they don't like.

Last edited:
I'm not singling you out; you started the thread and wanted to hear opinions :)

I can assure you primary school kids across the land are calling each other gay or saying 'that's gay' to describe something they don't like.

I know. It's depressing. If you were a gay kid at school it would be very, very depressing.

Like I said it's not like the word is used out of a hatred for all things gay but rather by habit. People associate it as being a negative descriptive word without even contemplating the fact that it might be considered by some as a homophobic remark.

Well, why do you think the word has become a negative descriptive word?

Admirable that those people have come out - still, must be a drop in the ocean compared to how many there must be out there. Interesting that there's a lot of Americans on there and hardly any brits, when did the USA become more tolerant than us...?

Why Is it important that people 'come out'? Peoples sex lives are (or should be) personal. In the same way that i'm sure straight footballers hate ex-partners revealing their sexual secrets, i'd imagine Gay footballers wouldn't appreciate any news of their sex lives being talked about all over.

While i'm sure in some instances there is still a fear of being known as gay, i imagine most of the time it's just the natural desire for privacy, surely?

Last edited:
Why Is it important that people 'come out'?
Exactly. I don't even know why people need to 'come out' to family. My parents don't ask me specific details about every sexual encounter I have; I expect this would be no different if I was gay. So why tell them who you do it with?

Exactly. I don't even know why people need to 'come out' to family. My parents don't ask me specific details about every sexual encounter I have; I expect this would be no different if I was gay. So why tell them who you do it with?

I don't know why

It's not as if it would be a very long conversation, would it.....?

His move to chelsea after a 'derisory' pay rise to 60k a week at the arse makes me mad!
He's prob the best left back england have, but i don't like him..

his career's over at 35, i don't begrudge him maximising his income

I have a tendancy to blurt out controversial stuff with topics like this ... however.....

When I was growing up in primary school/high school the term "thats gay" was used in the same way as "thats rubbish" or "thats wrong" etc... etc...

I blame society.
Comics are well gay.

:icon_wink

But showcasing it in a crude fashion as he did so in his autobiography?

didn't buy it. the ghost-written opinions of someone who left school at 16 and is famous for kicking a pig's bladder quite well...didn't appeal to me

it was him or Noam Chomsky in Waterstones...

didn't buy it. the ghost-written opinions of someone who left school at 16 and is famous for kicking a pig's bladder quite well...didn't appeal to me

it was him or Noam Chomsky in Waterstones...

That's what makes it even funnier. Nobody bought it, yet that one sentence destroyed his reputation with a lot of football fans

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670