Being Gay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you ever had your arse slapped by a man? I have been hit on by many a man in my time and can honestly say I found it slightly humorous each time because I am quite a manly looking man *ahem*.

And wait until you are married, you'll be happy for any groping you can get!

Besides the gays are very clean people, and have been ever since they came over from France.

Last time I saw you didnt you have a nice green stripe down your hair?

At first I thought somebody had actually come out of the closet...

...my money was on Joe_Fox :icon_wink

You know what they say about people accusing others of being gay don't you?

For the record, I'm not gay, although I am quite happy today.

It amazes me that, in this day and age, there are still next to no openly gay professional athletes - there must be a fair few of them. To my knowledge, Gareth Thomas is the only openly gay professional sportsman in the world, which is crazy.

I'm not a homophobe, I genuinely have absolutely no problem with gay people at all, and as far as I know, none of the people I associate with have a problem with them either... I just can't understand why homosexuality is such a problem in professional sport that people are afraid to reveal their sexual identity, when in all other walks of life it now seems to be completely accepted. If any footballer came out tomorrow, I wouldn't really care to be honest, it doesn't alter how he plays football... I'm sure the tabloids would have a field day, but there's no way that they could get away with publishing a load of homophobic stuff because they would get sued beyond all belief.

Racism has become completely unnaceptable in professional sport, and I remember reading posts on here recently from members who talked about how they had people removed from games for spouting racist bullshit (completely correctly, obviously) and I assume that's true of most football fans - no right minded person wants to hear that shit. But when Arsenal fans sing songs about Ashley Cole being gay and sticking a phone up his arse, it seems to be classed as hilarious banter...

Is there a difference between shouting 'get up you ****ing nigger' at a player and shouting 'get up you ****ing faggot'? Because I find them both equally offensive. It just seems that homophobic abuse is far too accepted and commonplace, especially in football.

Racism has become completely unnaceptable in professional sport, and I remember reading posts on here recently from members who talked about how they had people removed from games for spouting racist bullshit (completely correctly, obviously) and I assume that's true of most football fans - no right minded person wants to hear that shit. But when Arsenal fans sing songs about Ashley Cole being gay and sticking a phone up his arse, it seems to be classed as hilarious banter...

Is there a difference between shouting 'get up you ****ing nigger' at a player and shouting 'get up you ****ing faggot'? Because I find them both equally offensive. It just seems that homophobic abuse is far too accepted and commonplace, especially in football.

didn't some Spurs fans get taken to court for singing homophobic chants to Sol Campbell a few years back?

I think it was more due to the racist nature - didn't they sing about how they wanted to see him swinging from a tree or something?

Admirable that those people have come out - still, must be a drop in the ocean compared to how many there must be out there. Interesting that there's a lot of Americans on there and hardly any brits, when did the USA become more tolerant than us...?

I just can't understand why homosexuality is such a problem in professional sport that people are afraid to reveal their sexual identity

Two immediate concerns would spring to mind.

Firstly, the crowd would give the player hell.

Secondly, team spirit *may* be affected.

Whilst neither of the above situations is to be condoned, the first would be almost impossible to police and the second, well, let's just say money talks and there is an awful lot of money in the game.

Whilst neither of the above situations is to be condoned, the first would be almost impossible to police and the second, well, let's just say money talks and there is an awful lot of money in the game.

Did the Fashanu fella (cant remember his first name unfortunately) come out when he was playing footie or after? He got a rough time of it from memory...

Did the Fashanu fella (cant remember his first name unfortunately) come out when he was playing footie or after? He got a rough time of it from memory...

Justin. His brother John was overly macho to compensate :icon_wink

You know what they say about people accusing others of being gay don't you?

For the record, I'm not gay, although I am quite happy today.

They're normally right? :102: :icon_lol:

I thought the tree swinging was suggesting he should kill himself.

I thought it was a reference to lynching him. Still, a pretty nasty chant either way.

The first one didn't seem to occur when Gareth Thomas came out, can Rugby crowds (both Union and League now) be that different? If so, we should be hanging our heads in shame, and looking to police ourselves a bit better.

Teams are close enough, I dare say their are plenty of locker rooms where a player is out but this is not public knowledge. I really don't believe that that would be serious issue in this day and age - after all the (far more important) team spirit of the armed forces doesn't seem to be overly affected.

The first one didn't seem to occur when Gareth Thomas came out, can Rugby crowds (both Union and League now) be that different?

I'm not one of those who thinks that rugger types are posh and footy types are yobbo's, but yes, I do think the two crowds are different.

Opposition rugby supporters often mix in the crowd and have banter without anything horrible happening. Try doing that at most football matches. Also, the referee is a lot more respected by players and crowd in a rugby game.

Teams are close enough, I dare say their are plenty of locker rooms where a player is out but this is not public knowledge. I really don't believe that that would be serious issue in this day and age - after all the (far more important) team spirit of the armed forces doesn't seem to be overly affected.

Wayne Brown had 'different' opinions to most people and if it isn't actually on record it is certainly common knowledge that he caused real disruption.

No, I'm not comparing racism with homophobia, but there are a lot of Neanderthals playing football at the highest level. To suggest something like that wouldn't affect team spirit is possibly an optimistic point of view.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670