Votes: 73 62.9%
  • Undecided:

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • Get rid at the end of the season:

Votes: 2 1.7%

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think that there are a list of managers in the PL paid less than BR that are significantly better than he is. I think that's an argument that isn't really worth having because it's just too subjective. Some will agree, some won't.

My point about his salary has always been that it takes expectations of him to that level. You cannot be paid a Champions League level salary and plead poverty against the best teams in the league. When BR does this, my blood boils. When Puel did this, at least he was doing it from the position of earning a mid-table team salary.

Our squad is a huge one. One of the biggest in the PL. We have 27 players in our first team squad at the moment with others loaned out. I think 18 of the 27 are full internationals. We also pay big wages to our players, enough to make them choose us over other PL options at times.

BR did well in his first two seasons with us. Two fifth place finishes plus the FA Cup is a very solid return for what we pay him. This season can now be judged a failure by any reasonable standard.

His credit in the bank from his first two seasons plus the fact that we're tied to him because sacking him would be extortionately expensive means that he will undoubtedly get to reshape the squad and go again next season.

We need to get rid of a lot of players and sign some really good ones. All this without someone leading on recruitment because Southampton are refusing to release Martyn Glover until after the summer transfer window.

Everything now rests on good squad management this summer, good fitness work in pre-season and hitting the ground running with good results from the start of next season. For £10m a year, we have every right to expect him to be able to do all this.

You cannot be paid a Champions League level salary and plead poverty against the best teams in the league.
Of course you can. His salary has nothing to do with the fact that we cannot match the spending of clubs around us.

I'm not defending his ludicrous pay, but to suggest that he can't be critical or at least envious of clubs that can spend five times the amount that we can to guarantee success is nonsense.

Of course you can. His salary has nothing to do with the fact that we cannot match the spending of clubs around us.

I'm not defending his ludicrous pay, but to suggest that he can't be critical or at least envious of clubs that can spend five times the amount that we can to guarantee success is nonsense.
But if he's being paid the same as them that suggests he's got something that enables him to raise performance without having to spend the same amount of money.

Otherwise I'm not sure why he's paid that.

His goals must be higher than those managers below his pay scale.

But if he's being paid the same as them that suggests he's got something that enables him to raise performance without having to spend the same amount of money.

Otherwise I'm not sure why he's paid that.

His goals must be higher than those managers below his pay scale.
To raise performance, yes. He most certainly did this for his first two full seasons. To match performance to them; no.

It suggests that we think he's got the ability to raise us to a position beyond our spending limits; this may still be nowhere near those that can out spend us ten fold. He hasn't done that this season, granted, but he has in his past two.

Of course he is right to suggest that we won't get anywhere near those clubs that can spend billions and his salary has nothing to do with that as a fact.

It would be interesting to know where these figures come from, what they represent and how they were compiled. Such information is hard to come by, and these are likely to contain a lot of speculation - unless there id a mole inside HMRC!
There is also a world of difference between a figure to be paid each year of a contract come hell or high water and a figure for the sum paid last year for a base salary plus sums for targets achieved etc during that period. The list also seems to have some correlation between time in the job and salary quoted, which one might expect .

Of course he is right to suggest that we won't get anywhere near those clubs that can spend billions and his salary has nothing to do with that as a fact.
Tbh I don't expect him to. But I expect a lot more than I am seeing.

To be honest I can put the league position to one side and my main gripe still remains, I cannot get behind this style of football.

Tbh I don't expect him to. But I expect a lot more than I am seeing.

To be honest I can put the league position to one side and my main gripe still remains, I cannot get behind this style of football.
And I get that to be fair. I'm willing to see what next season brings. We can be very good under him, I just hope we can recapture that.

When we move the ball at pace (a we did in the pre-season friendly) and have on a handful of occasions during the season, we are a joy to watch. Outside of this the Puel ball we have all seen comes from a lack of confidence in the players on the pitch and when there is no outlet to cut the lines we become pedestrian and predictable.

We have barely had our best 11 on the field at the same time all season and when we have got close to this over the last couple of weeks, perhaps we are all a little guilty of expecting it to click back to those paces performances?

I believe being out of Europe for one season (games wise) will help immensely this coming season.

In a way I don’t think it matters too much if we lose the three players touted to be on their way as only Maddison has been anywhere close to good.

Soyuncu and Tielemans have been liabilities for much of this season.

The signings of a dominant centre back, a winger, a hard bastard and perhaps a striker will see us (along with a good pre season) set up well to greatly improve this seasons offering.

Let’s not forget we won the FA Cup last season, the Charity Shield this season, and got to the semi final of a European competition.

As I keep saying there are at least a dozen teams that would want what we currently have and what we have to build on.

I hope and believe next season will be a breath of fresh air.

When we move the ball at pace (a we did in the pre-season friendly) and have on a handful of occasions during the season, we are a joy to watch. Outside of this the Puel ball we have all seen comes from a lack of confidence in the players on the pitch and when there is no outlet to cut the lines we become pedestrian and predictable.

We have barely had our best 11 on the field at the same time all season and when we have got close to this over the last couple of weeks, perhaps we are all a little guilty of expecting it to click back to those paces performances?

I believe being out of Europe for one season (games wise) will help immensely this coming season.

In a way I don’t think it matters too much if we lose the three players touted to be on their way as only Maddison has been anywhere close to good.

Soyuncu and Tielemans have been liabilities for much of this season.

The signings of a dominant centre back, a winger, a hard bastard and perhaps a striker will see us (along with a good pre season) set up well to greatly improve this seasons offering.

Let’s not forget we won the FA Cup last season, the Charity Shield this season, and got to the semi final of a European competition.

As I keep saying there are at least a dozen teams that would want what we currently have and what we have to build on.

I hope and believe next season will be a breath of fresh air.
Yep.

I think Soyuncu and Tielemans need to move on. Maddison is absolute key to us however and it'll take a monster bid for us to let him go; I don't think we'll see one of those or anyone will get even close.

For me, we need a decent CB, a winger and a striker as priorities.

It is a bit ridiculous to talk of sacking Brendan. He is a great coach and although we love the swashbuckling style of 2016, we got found out.

There is one thing that went wrong this season that foretold where we would end up and that was before a ball was kicked.

Would put money on it that if Fofana hadn't broken his leg (the guy who did it should never be allowed to kick a ball again) we would be sat in the European spots now

So by saying "at least half a dozen" what you mean is exactly seven. Ok. Got it.
Yeah isn’t that at least half a dozen?

But yes, sterling contribution as always.

Yeah isn’t that at least half a dozen?

But yes, sterling contribution as always.

Correct. Seven is at least six. I just find your phrasing peculiar. If it's seven, just say seven.

Also, on the one half more than at least half a baker's dozen managers you picked as preferable to Rodgers, are you sure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669