Brexit

Many moons ago, I remember trying to get Tracey Island for my then young son.
Anthea Turner, thought she could come to the rescue by showing how to build one on Blue Peter.

Thankfully, after many phone calls ( pre internet days) we found an Argos in Nottingham that had stock, they held one back for us.
You should have seen his face

I was listening to radio 5 yesterday morning they were talking about Brexit (surprise surprise) anyway they had a few experts of industry on and they were all saying the same thing you can't judge if Brexit is a success or a failure until at least 5 years mainly due to Covid.

I was listening to radio 5 yesterday morning they were talking about Brexit (surprise surprise) anyway they had a few experts of industry on and they were all saying the same thing you can't judge if Brexit is a success or a failure until at least 5 years mainly due to Covid.

it's already taken 4% off GDP

I find it interesting how many enthusiastic brexit supporters have evolved their arguments from how much better off the country will be after brexit to who cares wether we are not better off we are now masters of our own destiny.

If it was generally agreed, by both sides, that we would become poorer voting for brexit then remain would have won by a significant margin in my opinion.

I really can't see how the effects of Brexit will be known until we have had the whole economy running as normal for a period of years as its far to early to have figure's to compare it to.
It's getting boring now with everything being blamed on Brexit even if it's nothing to do with it.
LNG (Liquified natural gas) is more expensive in Europe than in the UK at the moment because we import it mainly from South America, there has been a surge of European trucks collecting LNG from the UK and hauling it back across the Channel, funny how that's not reported but then again its not a negative effect of Brexit so it gets buried

I would of thought that was due to being in a lock down on and off since 2019

no, GDP fell by much much more than that for the pandemic then returned after lockdown ended

I find it interesting how many enthusiastic brexit supporters have evolved their arguments from how much better off the country will be after brexit to who cares wether we are not better off we are now masters of our own destiny.

If it was generally agreed, by both sides, that we would become poorer voting for brexit then remain would have won by a significant margin in my opinion.

from “Sunlit uplands” to “it can’t be Brexit for ALL these problems” and “it needs another ten years to come good”

no, GDP fell by much much more than that for the pandemic then returned after lockdown ended
It's impossible to know what impact Brexit has had on the economy with Covid going on, the whole world has suffered with Covid. Until the whole world is trading like it was before Covid the effects of Brexit are just guess work.

Our company is trading as normal with The EU and we made record profits last year. I'm coming to the conclusion that the woes of Brexit are just hyped up in the media with the public whipped into a frenzy.
I'll await next week's "shortages" by the BBC. Hopefully it will be Marmite I hate that shit

That graph just shows it dipped in a quarter before rising back up. Hardly anything to panic over. Wait until we have the figures for 3 years
Absolutely, to be honest, I thought DV's point was that GDP had dropped before the pandemic - but looking back, I see it was just poorly worded.

We plan to temporarily extend cabotage rights in the UK so foreign hauliers can make unlimited journeys for 2 weeks whilst here It'll mean 1000s more deliveries and comes in addition to the 24 steps we've already taken to help industry tackle the global lorry driver shortage✅

Says Grant Schapps :)

So another step (like the visas) to undo Brexit but asymmetrically, letting foreign workers in without the rights of British workers to work in the EU

So it’s beginning to look a lot less “stop EU workers coming here” and more “stop British workers going there”

If the two weeks becomes two months, then a lorry firm in Rotterdam has cabotage rights in the UK and the EU , but one in Felixstowe only the UK… so trade will move to the EU

If the two weeks becomes two months, then a lorry firm in Rotterdam has cabotage rights in the UK and the EU , but one in Felixstowe only the UK… so trade will move to the EU
That lorry firm in Rotterdam employs its drivers from Lithuania and pays them the going rate from Lithuania, he will then spend 2 weeks undercutting the British haulage companies which in turn will make the British driver redundant, then after 2 weeks the Lithuania goes back to Holland and then the UK has an even worse shortage of HGV drivers. Genius.

That lorry firm in Rotterdam employs its drivers from Lithuania and pays them the going rate from Lithuania, he will then spend 2 weeks undercutting the British haulage companies which in turn will make the British driver redundant, then after 2 weeks the Lithuania goes back to Holland and then the UK has an even worse shortage of HGV drivers. Genius.

In a pan continental market, the market doesn't owe British drivers a living

If Lithuanians can drive a truck for less than Britons... then we face a choice of a free market or protectionism

Should we prop up the UK Haulage industry? Or let their wages inflate and add inflation to transportation costs?

We let coal mining go, but propped up bankers...if a haulage firm goes bust, do we bail it out? (without doing any googling, I assume there are lots of very small haulage firms and we'd face a different scenario to bailing out the banks)

The UK Government makes noises on higher wages being awesome, but in the visas and cabotage actions, has revealed its real hand, trying to make an asymmetrical single market to muddle through Christmas without shortages

As well as Rotterdam....a haulage firm in Belfast also benefits from an asymmetrical market... they can cabotage around Eire, NI, GB and the rest of the EU

Everyone benefits, except Britain

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4391
2Leeds Utd4490
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4384
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4366
8Coventry City4263
9Middlesbro4463