Brexit

In a pan continental market, the market doesn't owe British drivers a living

If Lithuanians can drive a truck for less than Britons... then we face a choice of a free market or protectionism

Should we prop up the UK Haulage industry? Or let their wages inflate and add inflation to transportation costs?

We let coal mining go, but propped up bankers...if a haulage firm goes bust, do we bail it out? (without doing any googling, I assume there are lots of very small haulage firms and we'd face a different scenario to bailing out the banks)

The UK Government makes noises on higher wages being awesome, but in the visas and cabotage actions, has revealed its real hand, trying to make an asymmetrical single market to muddle through Christmas without shortages
Of course the Lithuanian trucker can drive for less than the British trucker, for a start his company isn't paying the thousands it costs to pay road tax to the UK government he is driving for free, his wages will be 1/3rd of his UK counterpart because his cost of living is so much cheaper in his home land.

It isn't about letting wages inflate its about paying a fair living wage for the country you live in and for years the UK and other western EU countries have been using cheaper Eastern European labour to maximise profit.

99% of everything we do in the UK has at some point spent time on an HGV or uses HGV'S to survive.
If we stick 2 fingers up to Greedy truckers it will be alot more than plastic tat from China that isn't on the shelves

Of course the Lithuanian trucker can drive for less than the British trucker, for a start his company isn't paying the thousands it costs to pay road tax to the UK government he is driving for free, his wages will be 1/3rd of his UK counterpart because his cost of living is so much cheaper in his home land.

It isn't about letting wages inflate its about paying a fair living wage for the country you live in and for years the UK and other western EU countries have been using cheaper Eastern European labour to maximise profit.

99% of everything we do in the UK has at some point spent time on an HGV or uses HGV'S to survive.
If we stick 2 fingers up to Greedy truckers it will be alot more than plastic tat from China that isn't on the shelves

One man's "fair" is another man's "overpaid" , a career in truck driving already provides about the highest wage someone can earn with zero education

Cost of living being cheaper in Lithuania... yes, that's how a common market works, anyone can hire the cheapest workers

It's cheaper to live in Scotland... should English haulage firms only employ Englishmen?

Interested about the tax, what tax does a UK haulage firm pay and does an EU driving coming into the UK not pay the HGV Road User Levy?

All higher HGV driver wages will do is further the automation of trucks because the maths of self-driving trucks will be make more sense.

Everyone bangs on about self-driving cars, but surely the trucks will come first

One man's "fair" is another man's "overpaid" , a career in truck driving already provides about the highest wage someone can earn with zero education

Cost of living being cheaper in Lithuania... yes, that's how a common market works, anyone can hire the cheapest workers

It's cheaper to live in Scotland... should English haulage firms only employ Englishmen?

Interested about the tax, what tax does a UK haulage firm pay and does an EU driving coming into the UK not pay the HGV Road User Levy?

All higher HGV driver wages will do is further the automation of trucks because the maths of self-driving trucks will be make more sense.

Everyone bangs on about self-driving cars, but surely the trucks will come first
Self driving trucks will never happen in my lifetime, they can't get trains to be automated and they are on a fixed rail.
We have semi automated trucks at work and in heavy rain the distant sensors don't function and automatically switch off.
They also can't tell the difference between a road sign in the middle of the road and a car in a box junction so they just brake and stay put they have to have the automation turned off before they will move, good luck driving them in any town/city or other built up area.
Also alot of HGV'S have a driver that is trained specifically to operate the trailer like cement Tankers and cryogenic Tankers this can take months of training so if you do away with the driver then you have to train more people at the points of delivery so if I cement truck was doing 3/4 drops then that's 3/4 people to be trained multiple that by 5 days and its then 15/20 people that need to be trained as opposed to the 1 truck driver

The 1st steps will be large parcel companies that have RDC on the motorway network.

...It isn't about letting wages inflate its about paying a fair living wage for the country you live in and for years the UK and other western EU countries have been using cheaper Eastern European labour to maximise profit...

Trickle down economics at it's finest...

Self driving trucks will never happen in my lifetime, they can't get trains to be automated and they are on a fixed rail.
We have semi automated trucks at work and in heavy rain the distant sensors don't function and automatically switch off.
They also can't tell the difference between a road sign in the middle of the road and a car in a box junction so they just brake and stay put they have to have the automation turned off before they will move, good luck driving them in any town/city or other built up area.
Also alot of HGV'S have a driver that is trained specifically to operate the trailer like cement Tankers and cryogenic Tankers this can take months of training so if you do away with the driver then you have to train more people at the points of delivery so if I cement truck was doing 3/4 drops then that's 3/4 people to be trained multiple that by 5 days and its then 15/20 people that need to be trained as opposed to the 1 truck driver

The 1st steps will be large parcel companies that have RDC on the motorway network.

yeah why don’t we have automated trains. Brilliant point! The DLR is automated… maybe if we built from scratch?

yeah why don’t we have automated trains. Brilliant point! The DLR is automated… maybe if we built from scratch?
I think they can be but the union is to strong to allow it, they say its a health and safety issue but its really about protecting jobs.

I think they can be but the union is to strong to allow it, they say its a health and safety issue but its really about protecting jobs.

well then maybe lorries will be first as they aren’t unionised….

I went in a driverless car in Abu Dhabi, it shuttled people underneath the city, a sort of automated park n ride. It was a strange feeling

Oh didn’t twig on the date, my bad. I saw it appear as a live story and thought it a protest to the cabotage changes

and so, the next benefit...

with the EU rules about clean water gone, we get an abundance of effluence

I'm struggling why Tory MPs vote against putting rules in place. The line about "protecting the consumer from large bills" is utter twaddle

So the water companies can reap the profits and pay in dividends...but don't take the hit of having to do the dirty (!) work of cleaning the water

That's not capitalism. I can't choose my water company, it's not a free market, there must be rules

They must be scared that water companies will go under if they are forced to clean the water...well, boo hoo they coped ok under EU rules. Go bust, get nationalised

and so, the next benefit...

with the EU rules about clean water gone, we get an abundance of effluence

I'm struggling why Tory MPs vote against putting rules in place. The line about "protecting the consumer from large bills" is utter twaddle

So the water companies can reap the profits and pay in dividends...but don't take the hit of having to do the dirty (!) work of cleaning the water

That's not capitalism. I can't choose my water company, it's not a free market, there must be rules

They must be scared that water companies will go under if they are forced to clean the water...well, boo hoo they coped ok under EU rules. Go bust, get nationalised
And we're also now importing Dutch shit to spread on our fields.

A more plausible explanation for the worldwide supply shortages than those elsewhere in this thread.

And why is there suddenly extra demand? Nobody has said the entirety of the problem is Brexit, but it all feeds into the same pot of shit. If we were dealing with Brexit, there would be less shit to swim through in the pot.

A more plausible explanation for the worldwide supply shortages than those elsewhere in this thread.

Had a quick skim through that. Man saying lots but also ignoring every negative/counter for those things....standard costing, cost of storage, stock age write downs, obsolescence etc etc. Impressive really as he's used so many other words.

We don't have just one problem in supply chains. I agree with what he says, the supply chain is geared for efficiency of JIT stock, if things go wrong, they badly go wrong. To assert that losing thousands of lorry drivers and adding a tsunami of visa red tape is then irrelevant...well no

oh and the OBR confirmed this lately...

Damage from Corona virus 2% of GDP

Damage from Brexit 4%

How many Boris fans does it take to change a lightbulb?
None - Boris just says hes got it done and everyone sits around clapping in the dark

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Ipswich4389
2Leicester4288
3Leeds Utd4387
4Southampton4284
5West Brom4372
6Norwich City4371
7Hull City4265
8Coventry City4263
9Middlesbro4363
10Preston 4363