Brexit

Surely we've learned by now that pouring cheap labour into our country is a bad thing?

Isn't two generations of stagnant wage growth enough for you?

The answer is to reward people for doing unpopular jobs. There is a point at which every job is attractive.

Since the 1980s, we've funnelled kids through universities for mainly wanky jobs whilst simultaneously undermining meaningful occupations like caring and nursing and building.

Sorting this mess out will be very expensive and painful but it's the only way.

Agreed, should have been done long ago, but the timing in respect to everything else going on is crap.

Surely we've learned by now that pouring cheap labour into our country is a bad thing?

Isn't two generations of stagnant wage growth enough for you?

The answer is to reward people for doing unpopular jobs. There is a point at which every job is attractive.

Since the 1980s, we've funnelled kids through universities for mainly wanky jobs whilst simultaneously undermining meaningful occupations like caring and nursing and building.

Sorting this mess out will be very expensive and painful but it's the only way.
All true

But can you seriously see anyone doing it ?

Every time anyone mentions anything to do with higher wages or better conditions they get jumped on with the old " you're anti business " mantra.

Well, decades of being pro business have resulted in recession, a financial crash, wage stagnation, a royally ****ed energy system & market & a state welfare budget that pays out more to people actually in work than it does to the unemployed.

It's time to accept that when business is badly run being "anti" isn't automatically a bad thing. If it can't pay you a living wage without being topped up by state benefits then how the **** is it a viable business?

It's been hard enough to stimulate an economy in this country with years of high house prices & exorbitant rents. Add in the eye watering energy bills coming down the road & I don't see how it's possible to achieve anything. If the cost of things you lterally can't do without is vast then you can wave goodbye to spending on everything else. Unless you pay people properly.

**** business. Unless it's well run it's a liability to society in general especially when the state continues to pander to its needs.

I'd be pro-business personally, but a "**** business if it's ****ing over people" stance...seems reasonable :D

In the news this week....

The economy shrank further than expected for the second consecutive month, teetering on a recession and the UK GDP growth is the worst in the developed nations (bar a sanctioned Russia)

The cabinet legislates to change the Brexit deal in Northern Ireland, risking an all out trade war with the EU and the threat of court action for breaking international law

David Davies, says the reason Brexit isn't working is because we have a "Remainers' Brexit"

Well, makes a change from blaming the EU for Brexit I guess

And finally, showing all the nuance of a worldy Foreign Minister.... Liz Truss pronounces “Taoiseach” as “tea sock”

Sunlit Uplands update:-

Six hour queue at Dover

Divorce Bill £10bn higher than previously thought

Blame the frogs, not making Brexit work properly! Never liked us

Something something , World War 2

Blame the frogs, not making Brexit work properly! Never liked us

Something something , World War 2
Indeed, not the dipshits who dreamed up the idea, the cockwits who championed it, the dullards who voted for it, or the clueless multimillionaire arseholes who spent the last six years doing as much as they could to make it as damaging as possible. Blame them foreigns

snail-munching wankers

Tim Martin seems confused and wants to get rid of tarriffs....erm, who's gonna tell him?

And finally, showing all the nuance of a worldy Foreign Minister.... Liz Truss pronounces “Taoiseach” as “tea sock”
I've been after a promotion so tomorrow I'll be mostly pronouncing things incorrectly.

There's no football, so seems like a good time to talk Brexit.

Thought this was an interesting tweet / thread which in my opinion provides a good insight into why places like Birmingham (which is my closest city) voted Leave - because according to this 2018 data, it's GDP per person is less than Gdansk or Krakow.

There's no football, so seems like a good time to talk Brexit.

Thought this was an interesting tweet / thread which in my opinion provides a good insight into why places like Birmingham (which is my closest city) voted Leave - because according to this 2018 data, it's GDP per person is less than Gdansk or Krakow.

It'll only get worse. As soon as HS2 comes fully online they'll get flooded with Londoners buying up all the property & inflating prices. Which was always the plan.
The only reason HS2 even exists is to join Brum to the London commuter belt. Just over an hour from New St to Euston makes it viable. If you do the same job in London as a Brummie does in Brum but with London weighting on your salary you can outbid all the locals for any property you fancy. Plus an annual ticket from Brum is probably going to be less than the extortion rates charged by the home counties operators. At least initially. They'll be quids in.
They're already gentrifying Digbeth & throwing up luxury apartments.
So, the economic data for Brum will look much better in a few years...but it won't be Brummies benefitting from it.

Same thing has been going on in Bristol for over a decade. Temple Meads to Paddington is just over an hour & Bristol house prices have gone mental as people have flooded in from Essex & Kent. Brum will be the same but much bigger. They should probably vote to leave the UK as well.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4391
2Leeds Utd4490
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4384
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4366
8Coventry City4263
9Middlesbro4463
10Preston 4463