Brexit

Labour shortages definitely always work out best for everyone. Immigration has been repeatedly proven as a negative thing for almost every economy.

Oh hang on, that’s not right…
I've never said labour shortage is a good thing, but what it has done is improve the pay and conditions for the current workforce, or would paying a wage so poor that it forces people to claim universal credit to survive.
Companies making billions of pounds profit and then paying its staff the minimum wage is the real problem.

I've never said labour shortage is a good thing, but what it has done is improve the pay and conditions for the current workforce, or would paying a wage so poor that it forces people to claim universal credit to survive.
Companies making billions of pounds profit and then paying its staff the minimum wage is the real problem.
If public sector workers’ salaries followed suit then that wouldn’t be an issue. Increased costs aren’t that much of an issue in themselves, if wages are doing the same, as per your example. The government so far though have shown no inclination to do this, so public sector workers will be facing real issues.

There are obviously many aspects to all of this, I’m just pointing out that wages aren’t going up for all.

Wages tend to increase as you get older too.

If someone worked at McDonalds prior to going to university, there is a very high possibility that the person is under the age of 18 years old.

Someone at university is almost certainly to be over the age of 18 years old, and quite possibly over the age of 21 years old.

Those previously stated wages figures seem to correspond very well to the increases in wage as you get older:

And as already stated, McDonalds offered all their workers the chance to move from zero-hours contracts 3 years before Brexit happened so the connection is extremely loose to be generous.

Sort of feels like you’re trying to retro-fit you’re own anecdotal evidence to credit Brexit.

Bit harsh :) Seems reasonable to say there are less workers here after Brexit (and Covid) and if wages and rights are on the increase , that seems like it would well follow

Wage inflation causes actual inflation though, especially in the areas that overseas workers filled.... food, hospitality, truck driving

At one level, getting a wage rise at McDonalds is a good thing for the worker.... but for plenty of us wages are flat with inflation at 10%

A falling tide leaves some boats high it seems

Wages tend to increase as you get older too.

If someone worked at McDonalds prior to going to university, there is a very high possibility that the person is under the age of 18 years old.

Someone at university is almost certainly to be over the age of 18 years old, and quite possibly over the age of 21 years old.

Those previously stated wages figures seem to correspond very well to the increases in wage as you get older:

And as already stated, McDonalds offered all their workers the chance to move from zero-hours contracts 3 years before Brexit happened so the connection is extremely loose to be generous.
This is relevant but most McDonald's are franchises so they can set their own wages, my Daughter worked for McDonald's that is owned by Roadchef and she was 16 when she started and 17 when she got the wage increase.

If public sector workers’ salaries followed suit then that wouldn’t be an issue. Increased costs aren’t that much of an issue in themselves, if wages are doing the same, as per your example. The government so far though have shown no inclination to do this, so public sector workers will be facing real issues.

There are obviously many aspects to all of this, I’m just pointing out that wages aren’t going up for all.
Different sectors usually have wage rises when in high demand, trade workers like plumbers, electricins, plasterers etc had big hikes when there was a shortage, truck drivers got inflation busting pay rises recently and in my field now we have a shortage of trained staff mainly due to lack of investment over the years and an aging workforce, we got buy using foreign labour and when that ended it pushed our wages and bonuses up, you need an engineering qualification to get a job and then it takes about 2 years training to become competent so it's not a quick fix.
We are currently supplying the EU with natural gas from America as they don't have the storage capacity or knowledge to deal with the ships so our wages will increase again in June.

This is relevant but most McDonald's are franchises so they can set their own wages, my Daughter worked for McDonald's that is owned by Roadchef and she was 16 when she started and 17 when she got the wage increase.

Was she not employed by roadchef then? Service stations I've had working knowledge of provide staff etc. The companies like Greggs and McDonald's provide nowt more than a supply chain, brand and uniforms for a fee.

Different sectors usually have wage rises when in high demand, trade workers like plumbers, electricins, plasterers etc had big hikes when there was a shortage, truck drivers got inflation busting pay rises recently and in my field now we have a shortage of trained staff mainly due to lack of investment over the years and an aging workforce, we got buy using foreign labour and when that ended it pushed our wages and bonuses up, you need an engineering qualification to get a job and then it takes about 2 years training to become competent so it's not a quick fix.
We are currently supplying the EU with natural gas from America as they don't have the storage capacity or knowledge to deal with the ships so our wages will increase again in June.
They’re all private sector workers that you list though. I work in the private sector, but my wife works for the NHS, so I see both sides.

They’re all private sector workers that you list though. I work in the private sector, but my wife works for the NHS, so I see both sides.
My wife works in a surgery for the NHS and they all got a pay rise last month, this was due to the minimum wage increasing for the secretary's so the rest of the staff got a like for like percentage pay rise.

Was she not employed by roadchef then? Service stations I've had working knowledge of provide staff etc. The companies like Greggs and McDonald's provide nowt more than a supply chain, brand and uniforms for a fee.
Yes she was employed by Roadchef but worked in McDonald's, when they struggled for staff they took them out of WH smiths to help out.
She now works directly for McDonald's in a city centre.

Yes she was employed by Roadchef but worked in McDonald's, when they struggled for staff they took them out of WH smiths to help out.
She now works directly for McDonald's in a city centre.

That explains the beef then. What Matt says relates to your general McDonald's franchise where they have a say in an absolute shitload. She worked for cowboys trading as McD's, Smith's etc etc.

My wife works in a surgery for the NHS and they all got a pay rise last month, this was due to the minimum wage increasing for the secretary's so the rest of the staff got a like for like percentage pay rise.
So nothing to do with Brexit then and, because it’s below the rate of inflation, it’s a pay cut in real terms.

So nothing to do with Brexit then and, because it’s below the rate of inflation, it’s a pay cut in real terms.
I never said it was anything to do with Brexit I was merely stating my wife also works for the NHS and again I never mentioned how much the pay increase was as I never said what the rate the secretary's were on before they got a rise so how do you know if its below the rate if inflation ?

I never said it was anything to do with Brexit I was merely stating my wife also works for the NHS and again I never mentioned how much the pay increase was as I never said what the rate the secretary's were on before they got a rise so how do you know if its below the rate if inflation ?
You said it was a like for like increase at the same percentage as the minimum wage increase, which is below the rate of inflation, if so, so I was only using the figures you stated?

You said it was a like for like increase at the same percentage as the minimum wage increase, which is below the rate of inflation, if so, so I was only using the figures you stated?
No I said the secretary's (actually receptionists) had their wage brought up to the minimum wage and the % increase they got was also given to all staff on a like for like % increase except the Dr's

Most GP surgeries are independent contractors, so they set the pay rates for their employees. The staff aren't directly employed by the NHS.

No I said the secretary's (actually receptionists) had their wage brought up to the minimum wage and the % increase they got was also given to all staff on a like for like % increase except the Dr's
I’m even more confused. The minimum wage was brought in in 1999 and, even if you mean the living wage, that’s been in place since 2016?

It goes up sometimes
"the secretary's (actually receptionists) had their wage brought up to the minimum wage" implies that their salaries were below it, as far as I can see. If that's just in reference to the annual increase, then, as I said earlier, the percentage increase is below inflation and therefore a real terms pay cut

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757
9Preston 3756
10Middlesbro3854