Post Match Brighton 1 Leicester 0

Status
Not open for further replies.
no

EDIT - mind you the facts probably suggest otherwise. I do think we have bore the brunt of some dodgey decisions lately, but there is room for improvement where our discipline is concerned. Particularly when picking up bookings for silly things like arguing...
That's another thing. Dissent. There can't be many teams that argue with referees as much as City do.

That's another thing. Dissent. There can't be many teams that argue with referees as much as City do.

Lack of professionalism and the gnawing disappointment of failed expectations.

Fans expected a romp to promotion and I'm certain it was shared by the squad.

As I've said many times, I don't think there's an excuse for arguing with or blaming referees - if a team loses its because they didn't score more goals. Blaming refs is lazy-minded nonsense; now that Pearson is doing it he's providing a ready-made excuse for failure for the squad. It's not good enough.

Lack of professionalism and the gnawing disappointment of failed expectations.

Fans expected a romp to promotion and I'm certain it was shared by the squad.

As I've said many times, I don't think there's an excuse for arguing with or blaming referees - if a team loses its because they didn't score more goals. Blaming refs is lazy-minded nonsense; now that Pearson is doing it he's providing a ready-made excuse for failure for the squad. It's not good enough.

I agree it's not an excuse for not winning, but if referee's decisions go unchallenged then they will continue to make bad ones. They are unaccountable enough as it is.

I agree it's not an excuse for not winning, but if referee's decisions go unchallenged then they will continue to make bad ones.

Referees are rated by the managers and an independent assessor. If they make mistakes they can be suspended or given matches at a lower level. There's no need for the manager to rant and rave, it just makes him look like a bad loser.

I think that's what Ferguson has done single-mindedly and relentlessly over a period of 25 years. Apart from blatant intimidation and the psychological value to the club (us against the world) .... even if there's a swing of only 1-2% of marginal decisions in your favour, that makes a difference, such as the ludicrous decision for the second penalty against Chelsea yesterday. IMO it could only be countered by Rugby League style zero tolerance to back chat etc (Rugby Union is fast becoming a depressing echo of Football in the growth of dissent) - this ain't going to happen.

Me too, really good ground and only 7 minutes by train from some lovely pubs in Lewes.

I heard that lots of people had problems with the trains but didn't experience them myself, parked in Coldean which was 15 minutes walk away and drank in the Hikers Rest which was on the route to the ground, a nice pub with both EPL and Championship early kick off games showing.

Forcing the best part of 20,000 fans onto a few trains and buses after the match is stupid but I guess there was no way that the nimby lobby was going to let BHA have a ground anywhere near the town.

Forcing the best part of 20,000 fans onto a few trains and buses after the match is stupid but I guess there was no way that the nimby lobby was going to let BHA have a ground anywhere near the town.

If you lived in the Meridian TV area, you would know how much the 'not-anywhere-in-Sussex lobby' tried to prevent BHA having a ground anywhere near the countryside too.

I think that's what Ferguson has done single-mindedly and relentlessly over a period of 25 years. Apart from blatant intimidation and the psychological value to the club (us against the world) .... even if there's a swing of only 1-2% of marginal decisions in your favour, that makes a difference, such as the ludicrous decision for the second penalty against Chelsea yesterday. IMO it could only be countered by Rugby League style zero tolerance to back chat etc (Rugby Union is fast becoming a depressing echo of Football in the growth of dissent) - this ain't going to happen.

I don't believe a ref makes a decision because he is worried about what a raspberry-faced gimp will say in a post-match interview. Similarly, I don't believe a team is bonded and wins through the creation of an excuse-driven culture.

Regardless of regulations, Pearson should shut up and focus on instilling a bit of self-discipline in himself and his players. Whining about the one-way nature of the "Respect" campaign does him (and fans) no favours at all.

Appeal lodged against Beckford's red card.

http://www.lcfc.com/page/LatestNews/0,,10274~2601513,00.html

The Club has this morning (Monday) received notification from the Football Association, confirming the grounds for Jermaine Beckford's dismissal in Saturday's npower Championship fixture at Brighton & Hove Albion.

The Club has notified the FA of its intention to appeal and will submit its case later today.

Re: Appeal lodged against Beckford's red card.

The Club has this morning (Monday) received notification from the Football Association, confirming the grounds for Jermaine Beckford's dismissal in Saturday's npower Championship fixture at Brighton & Hove Albion.

The Club has notified the FA of its intention to appeal and will submit its case later today.

We'll need a lot of luck to get anywhere with this one.

Its amazing given the number of players we have signed in the last year that we'll be struggling to name a full squad for the Cardiff game.

I guess that Pearson is very frustrated with the lack of progress being made in getting this show back on the road - but I always thought it needed a bit more time to get things sorted - diciplinary problems included.

There's no need for the manager to rant and rave, it just makes him look like a bad loser.

You seem to imply that is a problem.

Fergie is probably one of the worst bad losers out there but look at what he has achieved.

Whilst I do agree with the respect campaign, Ferguson and Wenger's constant complaining about referees over the years has infuriated me, however it does also need to work as a 2 way street. In recent seasons it has been increasingly apparent that some referees are starting to gain a rather large ego. Respect works both ways and it is a very rare occurrence these days for a referee to come out after a game and say that they have made a mistake or to justify there reasons for a decision. Until officials begin to explain their actions to those it affects, how can they demand respect from those it punishes, when television replays seem to show they have got it completely wrong.

The way that the sport is run in terms of officiating is extremely flawed, with players and clubs not being able to appeal bookings, despite the FA being able to fine a club for accruing too many cautions throughout a season.

You seem to imply that is a problem.

Fergie is probably one of the worst bad losers out there but look at what he has achieved.

With respect I think you are missing the point.

Fergie knows exactly what he is doing - its premeditated and strategic its done on a drip drip basis and it has worked.

Some other managers probably including Pearson tend to just lose it and therefore lose the plot.

I'm ok about Pearson and believe that he was about the best manager who we were able to bring in - but he does tend to be a bit OTT which is fine - along as it works and frankly it doesnt seem to.

We'll need a lot of luck to get anywhere with this one.

Its amazing given the number of players we have signed in the last year that we'll be struggling to name a full squad for the Cardiff game.

I guess that Pearson is very frustrated with the lack of progress being made in getting this show back on the road - but I always thought it needed a bit more time to get things sorted - diciplinary problems included.

In NP's post match interview, he said he had seen the footage very clearly after the game, so that footage must exist (but obviously the Football League show didn't have access to it).

I would imagine if such footage does exist, and we've decided to appeal, we would have a decent chance of getting it overturned.

With respect I think you are missing the point.

Fergie knows exactly what he is doing - its premeditated and strategic its done on a drip drip basis and it has worked.

Some other managers probably including Pearson tend to just lose it and therefore lose the plot.

I'm ok about Pearson and believe that he was about the best manager who we were able to bring in - but he does tend to be a bit OTT which is fine - along as it works and frankly it doesnt seem to.

The closest he has come to losing the plot was after the Middlesbrough game and the FA decided not to charge him with anything. I can only assume that the referee got the decision incorrect and will be more careful when going into dressing rooms in the future.

I actually NP is a really calm and thoughtful manager who is more likely to blow his top at his own players than the referee.

Nigel Pearson - OTT? Are we talking about Leicester City manager Nigel Pearson or some other Nigel Pearson? If you ask me, Pearson is one of the most grounded managers around, never gets carried away, says what he thinks and conducts himself well and fairly in every circumstance. He doesn't bitch and moan and these are all commendable traits IMO.

Last edited:
If you are registered to LCFC world you can watch the game highlights on the Brighton website. At about 11 minutes 50 second you can see the incident from several different angles. The only way possible that the sending off could be justified is if Beckford said something to the linesman. This I believe cannot be the case as he begins to flag after Beckford gives the Brighton player a tap on the back, seemingly telling him to get up. Complete and utter farce. If this gets overturned, the linesman wants telling he is a naughty boy and sending to ref on Clapham common.

Last edited:
Nigel Pearson - OTT? Are we talking about Leicester City manager Nigel Pearson or some other Nigel Pearson? If you ask me, Pearson is one of the most grounded managers around, never gets carried away, says what he thinks and conducts himself well and fairly in every circumstance. He doesn't bitch and moan and these are all commendable traits IMO.

Quite agree Shaun and I'm finding it hard to understand some of the antipathy towards him on here.

If he feels we've been unfairly treated then he would be negligent in his duties if he didn't follow it through with an appeal.

The referee in the Boro game clearly overstepped the mark and the lack of further action by the FA endorses that.

I'm at a loss to know what else makes him 'over the top' or a 'whinger'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669