Pre Match Brighton (Away)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gally can, at times, look like a Premiership player delivering undefendable set pieces and unstoppable free kicks as well as knocking delightful 50 yard crossfield balls to feet and so on. However, at other times he looks like a League 1 player; not being able to pass 5 yards or not being able to beat the first defender with set pieces which is why is he playing in the Championship.

I don't think anyone is saying outright he is sh*t, well apart from Lako & Homer, but the point being raised is he is far too inconsistant to be given a starting spot week in, week out when we now have other players who can offer us something different when it isn't going right. If he had consistantly been playing like we have seen on occasions he wouldn't be here anymore but unfortunately it seems like its 1 in 5 where he plays well and in those other 4, he doesn't play average but appalling which is why he comes in for so much flack most likely.

Last edited:
This technical ability that people keep banging on about is totally lost on me, against Boro his delivery for every corner/free kick was absolutely garbage, his passing was awful and he was knocked of the ball easily, I think people come up with this technical ability to justify him in some way.

Premiership player? It's in the Championship where he's looking well out of his depth.

What about those two absolute screamers he banged in a few weeks ago? Seemed evident of some genuine ability to me.

The boy can shoot and he takes a good peno, pity he can't do owt else.....

To be fair he's a striker by trade, trouble is we have better strikers on our books so I'm not really sure where he fits in anymore. His set pieces are nearly always a real waste of an opportunity to put a good ball in the box and his open play crossing is no better. He's also one of the laziest players we've got IMO and like most of our team beyond the defence, he's a bit shit in the air.

This technical ability that people keep banging on about is totally lost on me, against Boro his delivery for every corner/free kick was absolutely garbage, his passing was awful and he was knocked of the ball easily, I think people come up with this technical ability to justify him in some way.

Premiership player? It's in the Championship where he's looking well out of his depth.

I will admit his set pieces were almost unforgivably poor / short at some points during the Boro game.

I'm not an advocate of too many changes at once. I wouldn't make more than one change to the midfield starting line up. Keep the defensive unit together and the 2 strikers.
Schmeichel
Peltier Mills SSL Konchesky
Marshall Wellens Danns Dyer
Nugent Beckford

Subs - Drinkwater, Gallagher, Kennedy, Morgan, Smith

3-1 to us Beckford 2 Danns

Gallagher is off form. But in 19 starts this season, he's scored 7 and made 7 assists. We don't have anything to rival that from anyone else in midfield and until someone comes off the bench and creates or scores a goal or two, I think he's earned a place in the team.

In 2010/11, he started 33 games and scored 11 with 5 assists and in 2009/10, he started 33 games and scored 7 with 5 assists.

Effectively, every other game he plays, he either scores one or sets one up. We can only afford to remove this from the team if we're going to replace it with someone who can do better. Marshall and the Fonz will get opportunities from the bench and they have to take them.

For me, the player much more deserving of criticism is Dyer. From 16 starts this season, he's contributed 0 assists and 4 goals. If any change should be made at this point, it should be here.

(smugly puts stats away)

Last edited:
Gallagher is off form. But in 19 starts this season, he's scored 7 and made 7 assists. We don't have anything to rival that from anyone else in midfield and until someone comes off the bench and creates or scores a goal or two, I think he's earned a place in the team.

In 2010/11, he started 33 games and scored 11 with 5 assists and in 2009/10, he started 33 games and scored 7 with 5 assists.

Effectively, every other game he plays, he either scores one or sets one up. We can only afford to remove this from the team if we're going to replace it with someone who can do better. Marshall and the Fonz will get opportunities from the bench and they have to take them.

For me, the player much more deserving of criticism is Dyer. From 16 starts this season, he's contributed 0 assists and 4 goals. If any change should be made at this point, it should be here.

(smugly puts stats away)

Smugly gets stats out...

If you're basing who should play based on goals, assists, and games started this season, we should drop Beckford and bring Howard in to replace him.

Beckford - 9 assists/goals, 17 starts.
Howard - 4 assists/goals, 4 starts.

I would hope that the manager isn't stupid enough to pick his team based entirely on stats like this.

making a weekend of this one setting off in the morning, got my bucket and spade all packed.

I remember driving down to Brighton this time of year, must be going on 20 years ago. We had a really shitty team back then. I also had a shitty car and there were quite fearful conditions on the way down. The radio promised much better weather on the south coast. We got to the Goldstone(?) in beautiful winter sunshine and approached the turnstiles to be told that the game was off due to a frozen pitch. So we jumped straight back in the car and drove home.

They rearranged the game for the following weekend (must have been out of the cup). So, determinedly we did the same journey again, this time the game went ahead. Putrid it was, and we lost 1-0.

Happy days.

I remember driving down to Brighton this time of year, must be going on 20 years ago. We had a really shitty team back then. I also had a shitty car and there were quite fearful conditions on the way down. The radio promised much better weather on the south coast. We got to the Goldstone(?) in beautiful winter sunshine and approached the turnstiles to be told that the game was off due to a frozen pitch. So we jumped straight back in the car and drove home.

They rearranged the game for the following weekend (must have been out of the cup). So, determinedly we did the same journey again, this time the game went ahead. Putrid it was, and we lost 1-0.

Happy days.

Wasn't our game at Brighton postponed three years running. Twicew I was already on my way and finished up going to other games - one was at Aldershot, the other Spurs v Marlow iirc.

Happy days.

I was visiting from the states during the Micky Adams promotion season and had a similar trip to Brighton. Game was on a Friday, at the Withdean, fog descended on the pitch and the away end couldn't see past the halfway line. It was a farce. I loved every minute of it.

Last edited:
I was visiting from the states during the Micky Adams promotion season and had a similar trip to Brighton. Game was on a Friday, at the Withdean, fog descended on the pitch and the away end couldn't see past the halfway line. It was a farce. I loved every minute of fit.

I was on crutches for that game and sitting on the half-way line as a Brighton guest (meal included). I could vaguely see the City fans to my left. I vaguely saw Brian Deane head the only goal of the game to my right. I had my photograph taken with Mickeh in their bar after the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669