Pre Match Brighton (Away)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Smugly gets stats out...

If you're basing who should play based on goals, assists, and games started this season, we should drop Beckford and bring Howard in to replace him.

Beckford - 9 assists/goals, 17 starts.
Howard - 4 assists/goals, 4 starts.

I would hope that the manager isn't stupid enough to pick his team based entirely on stats like this.

Hmm.

My stats were an attempt to combat the vitriol towards one player that doesn't really deserve it rather than to be used as a method of picking the team. The rationale that he's just shit and needs dumping asap isn't really backed up with facts. It's a matter of short term form issues.

Anyway, in the example you've quoted, Howard hasn't played a comparable number of games to be a realistic comparison with Beckford, unlike my Dyer/Gallagher one. You may just as well say that the Fonz has never scored or created anything for us so he's shit.

I also think that NP is one of the modern managers that does often make selection decision based upon stats. He employs enough people churning out data for him anyway.

I was on crutches for that game and sitting on the half-way line as a Brighton guest (meal included). I could vaguely see the City fans to my left. I vaguely saw Brian Deane head the only goal of the game to my right. I had my photograph taken with Mickeh in their bar after the game.

A very memorable trip.

I can tell you from where we were sitting, we had no idea a goal had gone in until the city players emerged from the fog celebrating. Surreal.

What about those two absolute screamers he banged in a few weeks ago? Seemed evident of some genuine ability to me.

20/11/2011 More than a few weeks ago, he's been pretty shit since.

My stats were an attempt to combat the vitriol towards one player that doesn't really deserve it

Please tell me you have not been attending the games, I prefer to use watching the player as a judge of his ability, not the amount of 30 yard screamers/penalties he scores.

Please tell me you have not been attending the games, I prefer to use watching the player as a judge of his ability, not the amount of 30 yard screamers/penalties he scores.

I've been to all the home games this season.

The point is, he's off form. No more, no less. As was Beckford when he stuck away a hat trick and is now flying. As was St. Ledger when Bamba went to the ANC and then he suddenly became our best defender. As was Danns for most of the season until he suddenly clicked into a fine all round midfielder a few games ago.

Sometimes getting on a players back and demanding he be shot when he's off form may help him to improve. Mostly though, the best policy is showing faith in him and allowing him to work his way back into form whilst being part of a winning team.

Anyway, if he is the 1 in 6 player many people say he is, we should definitely play him tomorrow as he's due that 1.

The point is, he's off form. No more, no less. As was Beckford when he stuck away a hat trick and is now flying. As was St. Ledger when Bamba went to the ANC and then he suddenly became our best defender. As was Danns for most of the season until he suddenly clicked into a fine all round midfielder a few games ago.

Sometimes getting on a players back and demanding he be shot when he's off form may help him to improve. Mostly though, the best policy is showing faith in him and allowing him to work his way back into form whilst being part of a winning team.

Anyway, if he is the 1 in 6 player many people say he is, we should definitely play him tomorrow as he's due that 1.

Apart from the 2 goals against Palace, he has been out of form since the Forest away game in the league, I wonder how long a player is allowed to continue being 'out of form' until it is decided someone else deserves his place in the side.

1 thing is for sure, his totally inept performances match the position we find ourselves in league wise, yes it's a combination of more than just Gally, but his performances do not improve our situation and other players not pulling their weight have either moved on or have seen other players come in to replace them, he has been average for too long and It sends a message out of 'average performances are good enough' to the rest of the players IMO.

Agree with this.

Our fans seem to also want managers to be shown the door when they are 'off form' too.

Agree with this.

Our fans seem to also want managers to be shown the door when they are 'off form' too.

For the record, I judge players on merit and performance, I want our manager to be given 3 years, I am not a person who needs a scape goat or wants a manager out after 3 bad games, I judge Gally simply on his ability.

OK here's my pitch. Kasper, Peltier, Morgan, SSL, Konchesky. Midfield Marshall, Danns, Drinkwater, Delboy. Forwards Beckford and Nugent. Subs Mills, Howard, Hopper, Wellens and Gallagher. Captain, Danns because of his work ethic, the responsibilty would help him mature as a central midfield player. He ceratainly wouldn't let anybody slack.
I will now put my tin hat on.

Same team as I picked near enough, so I agree, except with making Danns captain; being a captain for my junior team, I can say it puts unwanted pressure onto yourself, you have to control your men effectively, motivate the team for the duration of the game, tell your team how you want them to play, you're basically playing as a manager. Most ineffective decisions are practically your fault, it's just my opinion but playing Danns as captain would be a mistake

People keep going on about Gallagher's corners, and they are generally poor, but there seems to be a spate of this lately. Even watching Premier League matches, so many corners and crosses don't beat the first man. I wonder if too many players are aiming for near post action, which 'Boro executed so well for their first, that they are trying to place it on a sixpence, so to speak?

Dyer is genuinely not very good.

I do agree. However, his workrate against Southampton was superb, his closing down of their defenders and midfielders was key to our success that night and for me (in the minority!) was man of the match. He does need to be replaced, but does have his uses in the championship as a squad player.

Gallagher just doesn't do the good things often enough or consistently enough. He is one of those players that doesn't seem to have a position to play in. Not quite a striker, not quite a winger, not quite a midfielder, I would play him up front or not at all.

Very difficult to call this game. Not much difference in quality amongst about teams a dozen teams in the division. Might be a narrow defeat based on long trip and fixtures congestion. But if NP freshens things up with a couple of changes we might pinch it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669