But really, what a load of rubbish.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
sorry but the negativity is slightly uncalled for. all of those top six sides that you say will do better than us next season have struggled against us and some we have beaten. those teams are not the problem, they never have been. the problem surfaces when we play teams like crewe and drop to their level. we can beat anyone in this league there is not one team that we should fear.

the last few seasons should have taught the leicester fan one thing- anything is possible.

eieieio :) :)

My 14th season supporting City and quite possibly the worst.

I would like a Top 10 finish next season, a season in a similar vain as Luton's but a long hard season looks to ensue.

Hope we can get some of the spirit going...Just think we may we a few years away yet.

Last edited:
It was a shite season. Yes it was a remarkable comback from Kelly and the players and that should be commended to an extent, but overall it was a poor season.

Still I think there is a fair amount of hope for the future as long as fans stay realistic about our aims and signing potential.

:043:

:044:

:046:
:005:
:030:

"Play-offs minimum"

Fantasic!
Thanks for making me laugh out loud after a hard day at work.
:038:

MKFox said:
:043:

:044:

:046:
:005:
:030:

"Play-offs minimum"

Fantasic!
Thanks for making me laugh out loud after a hard day at work.
:038:

I don't believe it for a second....you working hard:018:

Before anybody slags TB posters off for saying we won't get into the play offs, they should take it up with RK. :icon_conf :icon_conf :icon_conf :confused:

Source

Kelly Talks Down Play-Off Chances

Rob Kelly gives fans a reality check.

Today Rob Kelly gave City fans a well needed reality check. After seeing his side fall to a 2-0 loss at Southampton on Monday, Kelly realises his team need to put in a lot of work if their dream of Premiership football is to become reality any time soon.

With no money available, Kelly knows he will need to perform a miracle if he is to significantly improve the squad in time for the new season.

Talking to the Leicester Mercury, Kelly said:

'I wouldn't think there will be a load of ins and outs... We have got a good squad but not a big squad... I have got a good idea of what we need anyway.'

With this is mind, Kelly and the team know that any talk of a Play-Off challenge next season is pure speculation:

'It is a bit silly and foolish for people to think we will definitely be in the top six next season. Don't get me wrong, we want to finsish as high as we can, but let's be sensible.'

Last edited:
I'm not interested in sensible, that is for the people running the club. I still stand by my play off comment.

However, the one thing that makes me less confident is the quote about players in and out.

I was hoping for a more settled squad, however, I would accept less than a play off position if we are rebuilding again, which it looks like that may be the case, but if the squad remains intact we MUST be looking for a play off place. Otherwise it will be just 2 season of "gelling" the same group of players

There is no reason why we shouldnt be aiming for a play off place, after all Preston and Watford's squads are no better than ours, they benefitted from good management and formulated a system and style that got the very best from their resources, just like RK managed in the games he was in charge for.

But we should also be very realistic, next season will be even tougher, 3 very big clubs coming down, Norwich and Southampton both having the benefit of parachute payments for another season, also three of Palace, Watford, Preston and Leeds who are all likely to be strong next season, whilst Wolves will be in the mix up.

It is going to be very difficult and the team will have to perform at the top of their game all season, and with the obvious financial restraints, we will need a fair amount of luck regarding injury and suspensions, but we have hope and a chance that if RK can repeat over the season, what he achieved since January then we will have a great chance of achieving it.

I d love to see the paly offs as i hope every true blue city fan would but a top ten would be a good season for me. I agree that not all off the teams coming down will have a good season.

i also disagree that birmingham will not break up, they will have to cut the wage bill they have some very highly paid players and will have no chance os sustaining them, also how many of their players are gonna want to play outside the premiership really, i think they will struggle big style next season.

It's difficult to make a prediction on next season when we don't know who will be playing for us yet.:102:

The reason for my pessimism (other than if I expect nothing and get something it'll be a bonus) is twofold. Firstly I think our squad, while promising, is paper-thin, and unless we sell there seems to be little chance of us getting in many more players, even free transfers will eat up wages. Goalkeeping position? No-one is happy, two average 'keepers, possibly we could get by with that if we had a great defence but... we look weak without the two main Paddys in the middle and McCathy at least is likely to be suspended for long periods again next season (Kisnorbo may be sold) - while CB is probably our best area overall we still don't have one that is commanding enough from corners and free kicks and can score a few as well. Left-back, while ok with Johansson (who I love) is always going to be a weak point - the only alternative is Sheehan who is very inexperienced, Stearman is good at right-back but he is still learning and from Rob's interview (last week?) in the Merc it seems as if he's not keen on him playing every game anyway, Maybury can step in but has been off-form this season so there is a question mark over him. Midfield, as we know, is our weakest area, right wing we only have an off-form Sylla, Hamill for cover, left wing we have no-one, Hamill for cover, in the centre we have Williams and Hughes who can't play together (RK says he's a 4-4-2 man) and who have both been on-and-off this season and Weso who may or may not be fit and even if he is fit will not be able to play a full season...and we have no back-up for him. Up front is another good area with Fryatt, Hume and O'Grady with Hammond and possibly de Vries as well, but if the last two are pushed out then we are short in that area as well, especially if the main two experience a drop in form.

That might be ok with some free transfers, some of the kids and a lot of luck. But RK, in his infinite wisdom, decided not to blood any of the kids at the end of the season, so they have no first team experience and therefore cannot be counted amongst the squad (they may be crap).

My second reason is that I'm still sceptical about our change in fortunes and performances. While results have been good under Kelly, performances haven't (with the exception of probably the Leeds and Reading games) which is a worry. Once we were safe we collapsed again. I'm not sure I've seen anything to suggest that those results weren't just a combination of panic and ability rather than just ability (not to take anything away from RK, he did a fantastic job). I worry that next season the players will struggle to get going, especially if we lose a few and end up in the bottom half again. The board and staff don't exactly seem to be talking of ambition and top six finishes either.

Whilst I agree with almost everything you say in that post, my theory is this:

All the other teams we have seen so far are a bag of shite. It just so happens until RK took over, we were shiter. Now, after some effort, we are still shite, but just not as shite as the rest of the shite in this division

Melton Fox said:

All the other teams we have seen so far are a bag of shite. It just so happens until RK took over, we were shiter. Now, after some effort, we are still shite, but just not as shite as the rest of the shite in this division

Bravo! :023:

Melton Fox said:

Let us remember that we beat Sheff U (finished 2nd) and almost beat Reading at home tells me that with not much effort we might get into play off place.

I am worried about the lack of ambition shown by all those at the club. :icon_conf :icon_conf :icon_conf :icon_sad:

Although it's early days, I am really impressed with RK. Not only for his tremendous achievement in picking up a real rabble, but also for the honesty and nouse about having realistic expectations.

I think it would be a remarkable achievement to reach the play offs next season because I don't think we have a good enough squad now and don't see any logical reason why the squad would be any stronger come the August kick off.

We are very vulnerable to having one or two of our better players picked off and are no longer able to financially compete with the better off fizzy league clubs.

The club desparately needs some injection of resources to be able to push on from the revival led by RK ...but there is no sign of that. Otherwise, we are stuck with the long route strategy of trying to build year on year towards a promotion goal, but always hampered by potentially losing our best players.

In spite of the joy that the FT etc get from what they see is a more participatory governing process at the Walkers - at the end of the day, serious money will generally get results.

Melton Fox said:

Blimey Melton, I agree with you! :icon_wink :icon_lol:

Great post Leigh. As yer man said, I agree with that almost entirely, but on the other hand, this division is apparently full of a lot of shit teams, and really it's anybody's.

DesertFox said:
Blimey Melton, I agree with you! :icon_wink :icon_lol:

Great post Leigh. As yer man said, I agree with that almost entirely, but on the other hand, this division is apparently full of a lot of shit teams, and really it's anybody's.
Never , i don't buy it!!!. Wait until you get back to your PC and find somebody has been tampering with it :icon_lol: :icon_wink

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669