Cardiff City - Play-off semi-final 2nd leg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Woah ?

What did Solano do ???

I thought he had a great game AND his ball for Fryatts 1 on 1 was SUBLIME.

Too many long 'glory' balls all game. He defended well but was not very good going forwards. I only meant drop him as I assume Morisson will be back?

Also, "sublime"?! It was a straight forward pass which the Cardiff defenders completely messed up.

Too many long 'glory' balls all game. He defended well but was not very good going forwards. I only meant drop him as I assume Morisson will be back?

Also, "sublime"?! It was a straight forward pass which the Cardiff defenders completely messed up.

To be fair i think most of the problem lies with the lone striker. We had no way of relieving the pressure and the ball kept coming back to midfield where we were completely ineffective and over run.

It ***seemed*** to me they wanted it more.

I would drop Solano because on a couple of occasions, Bothroyd got on him on the back post and we were lucky not to get punished by that-Morrison would be much better at coping with the aerial threat, and has scored from set pieces before too.

To be fair i think most of the problem lies with the lone striker. We had no way of relieving the pressure and the ball kept coming back to midfield where we were completely ineffective and over run.

It ***seemed*** to me they wanted it more.

Playing long balls to Waggy was never going to work and should have been stopped after the first 10 mins.

Solano's distribution was top notch. He got the ball cosistently to Waghorn's chest/feet. Our other hoofers at the back were terrible in comparison with their efforts mostly being too high/wide for Waghorn to compete.

I agree the ball to Fryatt was not sublime. Fryatt had lots to do once the ball had got to him.

I would drop Solano because on a couple of occasions, Bothroyd got on him on the back post and we were lucky not to get punished by that-Morrison would be much better at coping with the aerial threat, and has scored from set pieces before too.

Good point, but there isn't much we can do about that. We did it to them too, Waghorn stuck to the small grey-haired chap to give himself half a chance.

Woah ?

What did Solano do ???

I thought he had a great game AND his ball for Fryatts 1 on 1 was SUBLIME.

I just can't fathom how you can honestly believe Solano had a great game. He made one vital block in the second half, but throughout the first half and the majority of the second, he was a glaring weakness in our team. His long balls to Waghorn more often than not led to possession being lost in vulnerable areas of the pitch and he took far too long on the ball making us look increasingly jittery trying to string passes together. If we are going to play 451, we need to keep possession and play the simple pass and keep the ball moving. Solano, despite his technique, is not conducive to that.

Maybe not sublime, but he had very little time to make the pass and it split the centre backs perfectly for Fryatt to latch onto it.

I cant fault the guy, its not even his position. :038:

I just can't fathom how you can honestly believe Solano had a great game. He made one vital block in the second half, but throughout the first half and the majority of the second, he was a glaring weakness in our team. His long balls to Waghorn more often than not led to possession being lost in vulnerable areas of the pitch and he took far too long on the ball making us look increasingly jittery trying to string passes together. If we are going to play 451, we need to keep possession and play the simple pass and keep the ball moving. Solano, despite his technique, is not conducive to that.

Glaring weakness ?

Im pretty sure that it was our inability to put the ball in the back of the net and the dodgy defensive tactics that were the weakness.

I agree the long balls didnt work, but thats something the entire team were guilty of and clearly something Pearson himself had instructed.

Techincally Solano is a decent player, usually fairly comfortable in possesion and reads the game well, however he certainly is not a full back, he lacks pace, is not a great tackler and is quite often caught out of position because of his age and the fact he is not an out and out defender.

IMO Cardiff will look to target him and try and get as many one on one situations as possible, if this happens he will be beaten and this will then mean one of the central defenders coming out to cover and the likes of Bothroyd and Chopra can capitialise on the time and space created. This happened yesterday as well. We have to get Morrison back in for the second leg, we need 4 solid defenders on Wednesday who can keep their discipline, shape and give the players in front the confidence to go out and play our best attacking football.

Maybe not sublime, but he had very little time to make the pass and it split the centre backs perfectly for Fryatt to latch onto it.

I cant fault the guy, its not even his position. :038:

It's not that I don't believe he couldn't spot a pass, it was Fryatt's good running that created the channel. All too often when Nobby had time on the ball he took too long deciding what to do with it, before making a rash pass that placed someone under pressure, or a long ball that fell well short of it's target.

It's not that I don't believe he couldn't spot a pass, it was Fryatt's good running that created the channel. All too often when Nobby had time on the ball he took too long deciding what to do with it, before making a rash pass that placed someone under pressure, or a long ball that fell well short of it's target.

Sorry but i completely disagree. He looked very comfortable on the ball and only took time because there was little, or no movemnet in front of him.

And again, his long balls were accurate and at a height that Waghorn could control. It is not his fault that he had to resort to it more oftnen than not. Nor was it his fault that Waghorn could not keep hold of the ball long enough.

Defensively, there may be a point.

Sorry but i completely disagree. He looked very comfortable on the ball and only took time because there was little, or no movemnet in front of him.

And again, his long balls were accurate and at a height that Waghorn could control. It is not his fault that he had to resort to it more oftnen than not. Nor was it his fault that Waghorn could not keep hold of the ball long enough.

Defensively, there may be a point.

Sorry, but I wholeheartedly disagree.

I haven't even got to his Defensive liabilities yet....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669