Claudio Ranieri Appointed Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like you did last season...

Never thought NP would win promotion; never thought he would keep us up. Wrong on both counts and said so. Mind you it has crossed my mind that the mess he got us out of was to some extent self-inflicted. I was never fussed by his off (just about) the pitch antics and sorry to see him sacked. That said, he had pushed his luck a bit with the Thais.

The point is that CR is the manager and needs all our support.......just as the team undoubtedly benefited a lot from the magnificent support at the end of last season. Curiously, Matt B has posted that the support was poor. I don't understand that....and hopefully it will be just as rowdy when the season starts.

Never thought NP would win promotion; never thought he would keep us up.

But in your words "You ought to be getting behind the team irrespective. It's the club not the standard bearer."

Does that mean we can criticise CR if we don't think he can keep us up? Or not? I'm confused...

Does that mean we can criticise CR if we don't think he can keep us up? Or not? I'm confused...

You're entitled to criticise anyone you want, on whatever basis makes sense to you. You can boo who you like as far as I'm concerned. However, simply criticising someone for not being NP isn't likely to garner much respect after a while.

I praised NP for the positive things he did for the club such as the establishment of the U21 side, the massive improvement in sports science, physiotherapy and so on. His main attribute was in trusting Steve Walsh to do a largely excellent job of identifying good additions to the squad. NP oversaw these things very well indeed. He was a safe pair of hands as the club picked itself up from its worst position in history to put us back to where we should be. He had the great advantage of lots of money to build a squad compared to most of our rivals and he just about got an acceptable return for this investment over his five and a half years at the club.

I criticised NP for his tactical ineptitude, his utter ignorance of basic things like set pieces and his behavioural pig-headedness on many, many occasions and he absolutely deserved that too. I don't miss him and I'm glad he's gone and that was never going to change unless he had a brain transplant. Susan Whelan put this argument far more diplomatically yesterday.

I have no idea whether it will work out better with CR. I think he's miles superior to NP on all the things NP was bad at. But this season will be decided by the players, not CR. If they accept him, adapt to his ways and can combine this with their passion and endeavour, we will flourish. If we have a significant minority of players that get the grumps, or aren't intellectually capable of adapting, we will struggle. From his comments, CR already appears to have recognised this in stark contrast to someone like Peter Twatlor who chose to rip up the things that worked and ignore the advantages of a settled group.

So whilst NPs departure has left me feeling like I've taken off a tight pair of shoes after a long day, I'm only cautiously optimistic. All this talk of managers is largely irrelevant. It's the players that will make or break this decision.

Matt_B ' I'm not idiotic enough to think Ranieri is a step down' so why are you unenthusiastic ?
Pretty much what Willlow said. I've made my point before on why I'm less inclined to part with a significant sum of money, I shan't bother again here.

Susan Whelan put this argument far more diplomatically yesterday.

Oh, is that what she did? There was me thinking she just gave an effective 'no comment' and asked everyone to put blind faith in the board. Glad you cleared up the subtext I must have missed.

But in your words "You ought to be getting behind the team irrespective. It's the club not the standard bearer."

My focus in this thread wasn't about the right to criticise a manager (which is too obvious to bother to make the point) but about supporting the team. I think that the support at the end of last season demonstrated that this is a crucial factor. But, in my experience, the crowd will only give that level of support when they are seeing a big effort on the pitch. I think that in the lengthy middle of last season NP had completely lost the plot and the team was avoiding a real hammering but basically looked dead and buried. The fans were still quite supportive - home and away - but understandably were a bit more subdued.

Looks to me like CR may have a big challenge in keeping us up - with much depending on whether he can fairly quickly bring in a couple of quality midfielders.

I just think that it is in everyone's interests for the atmosphere to be as positive as possible.

If we revert back to the insipid atmosphere of every other season other than last then I will be mightily pissed off.

We were rightly praised for our atmosphere last season, even this week on the radio a reporter commented that we had the best atmosphere in the division, something I never dreamt I would hear.

It amuses me that people who wanted NP out so badly, are now jumping in to tell people how to support the team. Lovely stuff.

If we revert back to the insipid atmosphere of every other season other than last then I will be mightily pissed off.

We were rightly praised for our atmosphere last season, even this week on the radio a reporter commented that we had the best atmosphere in the division, something I never dreamt I would hear.

I am sure the owners have 19 lots of 30,000 clappers on order, plus a few spares for cup matches. I just hope they did not have them printed with 'Cambiasso is Magic' on them ..

What's frustrating is that some of the more sensible posters last season, those who berated Redditch and BN for being ridiculously blinded by hatred of Pearson, are now falling into the same trap with Ranieri.

I get that they are gutted Pearson left and think it's a ridiculous decision, so do I. However, once we were in that situation, Ranieri was about the best we'd get. I'm still considering cancelling my season ticket as I'm completely unenthusiastic about the new season now; but I'm not idiotic enough to think Ranieri is a step down.

As someone who couldn't get a ticket as they didn't go on general sale, I would genuinely buy that ticket off you.

It's thanks to the new Positve Mode converter Jeff installed with the new forum layout.
Yes , thank you Jeff- its a world class software innovation. I need to find out if it can be applied to the old forum archives. This will enable me to complete the transformation of my image.

'One Nigel Pearson, only one Nigel Pearson'. Have I left that a tad late?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669