Collymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

glyn

Sorry if this has been posted before, but I browsed through Stan Collymore's autobiog the other day in a mate's house.

Very interesting stuff about how happy he was under MON, the best boss he'd had, how he made him happy playing for the first time in years and how he would have loved to move to Celtic with him in 2000 but the Celtic board only gave MON Sutton. One of the happiest times of his career and still keeps in touch with the City players (he was only here 6 months!)

Then T****r came in and basically gave him half a chance before starting to tell the press that he was fat and unfit etc. He mentions how everything changed when PT came in, the whole atmosphere and spirit of the club, and that despite being top at one stage all the players knew something wasn't right. When he left City he knew his career was over.

He also detested John Gregory.

Great bit about La Manga 1...all the players were hammered and Taggs (I think) rings MON (who was back in England for one more day before joining the squad) at 3 in the morning, then the whole Fire Extinguisher thing happens.

MON is ballistic but says to Taggs "Were you the one who phoned me at 3 in the morning? You, son, haven't done enough in the game to be able to ring me at 3 o'clock in the morning."

Just thinking about all that is so depressing. I'm convinced that if we'd kept Heskey and MON in 2000, we'd have been a Champions League club the following year. How unreal does that sound now!

With Heskey & Colly on fire up front in 2000/1 with MON managing them, we'd have been unstoppable.

I loathe and despise Twatlor more than any other manager ever. Would rather kiss Wise's arse than shake Twatlors hand.

Just thinking about all that is so depressing. I'm convinced that if we'd kept Heskey and MON in 2000, we'd have been a Champions League club the following year. How unreal does that sound now!

I remember an interview with Heskey in 442 just before his move and he proudly predicted us a Top Six finish the season after.

I remember an interview with Heskey in 442 just before his move and he proudly predicted us a Top Six finish the season after.

I also think going to Celtic was a big mistake from MON. He's never been the same manager since leaving us in my view. He had a fire in his belly here that I've not seen in him since. I'm sure he'd never admit it, but I reckon he might have stayed if he knew then what he knows now.

Ditto Heskey. Apart from the £££'s, he'd have been better off staying put in the long run. Unappreciated at Pool and then played for two clubs smaller than us.

Crying shame. You don't know what you've got til it's gone.

Leicester 5 Sunderland 2 was as good as it got. Heskey sold before the next game and the rest is history. That game was a tantalizing glimpse in to what we could have been. I hadnt seen such a good front pairing since Lineker and Smith

MON is ballistic but says to Taggs "Were you the one who phoned me at 3 in the morning? You, son, haven't done enough in the game to be able to ring me at 3 o'clock in the morning."

A typical 'Cloughism' that one.

Leicester 5 Sunderland 2 was as good as it got. Heskey sold before the next game and the rest is history. That game was a tantalizing glimpse in to what we could have been. I hadnt seen such a good front pairing since Lineker and Smith

ALso a vision perhaps of what we were about to become. I think that was when LCFC was in its assendancy (sp). A turning point in this club's history that may never be repeated.

We missed our chance. A bit like having the winning numbers in the lottery but not buying a ticket .... and what are the chances of it ever happening twice?

ALso a vision perhaps of what we were about to become. I think that was when LCFC was in its assendancy (sp). A turning point in this club's history that may never be repeated.

We missed our chance. A bit like having the winning numbers in the lottery but not buying a ticket .... and what are the chances of it ever happening twice?

Agree totally!! Awesome, awesome stuff!! Spotted you btw, you sit next to the bald guy with the hot milf, she has kept me much more amused than the footy for the past 5 years!!

Sorry if this has been posted before, but I browsed through Stan Collymore's autobiog the other day in a mate's house.

Very interesting stuff about how happy he was under MON, the best boss he'd had, how he made him happy playing for the first time in years and how he would have loved to move to Celtic with him in 2000 but the Celtic board only gave MON Sutton. One of the happiest times of his career and still keeps in touch with the City players (he was only here 6 months!)

Then T****r came in and basically gave him half a chance before starting to tell the press that he was fat and unfit etc. He mentions how everything changed when PT came in, the whole atmosphere and spirit of the club, and that despite being top at one stage all the players knew something wasn't right. When he left City he knew his career was over.

He also detested John Gregory.

Great bit about La Manga 1...all the players were hammered and Taggs (I think) rings MON (who was back in England for one more day before joining the squad) at 3 in the morning, then the whole Fire Extinguisher thing happens.

Its the best chapter in the book IMO

I also think going to Celtic was a big mistake from MON. He's never been the same manager since leaving us in my view. He had a fire in his belly here that I've not seen in him since. I'm sure he'd never admit it, but I reckon he might have stayed if he knew then what he knows now.

Ditto Heskey. Apart from the £££'s, he'd have been better off staying put in the long run. Unappreciated at Pool and then played for two clubs smaller than us.

Crying shame. You don't know what you've got til it's gone.

Wasn’t his wife ill? Maybe it put things into perspective.

A typical 'Cloughism' that one.

You are right that this was one of Brian Clough's favourite phrases. Of course no player would have dared to ring Brian Clough at 3 in the morning. There is a bit in Roy Keane's biography where he says that it was clear that Brian Clough and his wife had had a row - "She had more balls than me."
On the Peter Taylor or Dennis Wise topic I prefer Taylor. Peter Taylor tried to do well for the club and failed badly. He was a nice man who did his best and was just not up to the job. Dennis Wise was a thug who deliberately harmed the club.

Isn't that about Ian Marshall and not Taggs?

Agree totally!! Awesome, awesome stuff!! Spotted you btw, you sit next to the bald guy with the hot milf, she has kept me much more amused than the footy for the past 5 years!!

pics please lboro....:icon_bigg

No pics, only back of the head shots, which really wouldnt be as exciting as it sounds!! (Would shows SJN's bald spot anyhoo, wouldnt be fair IMO). :eek:

She could keep me warm on a cold January night!! The one that could keep me even warmer is a cute blonde that sits half a dozen rows in front of me.

What bald spot you cheeky git!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670