Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose my biggest frustration here is that there is this constant stream of half measures, not just in UK but here too, when ultimately this all ends up in the same place. With business, commerce, sports, and all non-essential travel shut down. The organizations and people taking decisive actions are taking appropriate action.

Are the ramifications of that terrifying? Of course they are, but this is an inevitable endpoint and time is better spent thinking about economic recovery than by trying to prevent the inevitable economic and human rights catastrophes that await. For a ****ing start, the entire purpose of a government is to serve its constituents, so let’s see some support measures.

Hope I’m completely wrong and being a hysterical queen. I’m sure if I am plenty will feel as though they somehow “won”, which is increasingly the only thing people are motivated by anymore.

I suppose my biggest frustration here is that there is this constant stream of half measures, not just in UK but here too, when ultimately this all ends up in the same place. With business, commerce, sports, and all non-essential travel shut down. The organizations and people taking decisive actions are taking appropriate action.

Are the ramifications of that terrifying? Of course they are, but this is an inevitable endpoint and time is better spent thinking about economic recovery than by trying to prevent the inevitable economic and human rights catastrophes that await. For a ****ing start, the entire purpose of a government is to serve its constituents, so let’s see some support measures.

Hope I’m completely wrong and being a hysterical queen. I’m sure if I am plenty will feel as though they somehow “won”, which is increasingly the only thing people are motivated by anymore.

I just hope and pray we can get through these troubling times with minimal death and destruction and be stronger for it. Life is suffering. But we can beat this and hopefully we are more appreciative that we are in the best time ever to be alive and enjoy the good things in life.

According to today's daily express 8 million of us are going to end up in hospital. Quite how this works when the NHS only has 200,000 beds is hard to see.

Presumably they are going to have to battle through record breaking freezing temperatures and eight foot of snow as well.

Washing hands isn't the right answer. But it helps. Wearing a face mask is much more effective.

When they did the lockdown in China it was a huge success.
Face masks will only work to some extent & need to be changed regularly once they become moist from you own breath they make little difference

Not washing hands is definitely not the answer

So more contradictions from today's update:

No social contact but schools remain open??

Surely by doing that it is exposing a huge number of people to indirect social contact.

Also no social contact but public places to remain open??

Seems like pissing in the wind to me.

So more contradictions from today's update:

No social contact but schools remain open??

Surely by doing that it is exposing a huge number of people to indirect social contact.

Also no social contact but public places to remain open??

Seems like pissing in the wind to me.
What do you suggest then?

There are no contradictions. The risk to children is virtually zero.

If you close the schools who looks after the children?

The current financial impact is devastating enough, we need to try and keep what we can normal for as long as we can.

If we don’t and we completely lock down the entire country the virus will come back again and again.

The financial destruction of this is as much a worry as the virus itself.

Force majeure is the clause the above tweet relates to and is pretty much a standard clause in a contract for any good or service.

France have come out and given financial guarantees to all business and employees, I believe Italy have done the same and they have also suspended mortgage payments for 3 months.

These are the things we should be doing already before things get too bad.

NHS is pretty much already at/over capacity already so imo we need to be doing as much as we can to slow the spread now to allow us time to create extra capacity.

There are no contradictions. The risk to children is virtually zero.

If you close the schools who looks after the children?

The current financial impact is devastating enough, we need to try and keep what we can normal for as long as we can.

If we don’t and we completely lock down the entire country the virus will come back again and again.

The financial destruction of this is as much a worry as the virus itself.

You're right that children are not falling ill like adults so far. But we don't understand this yet. For example, the long term impact on the immune system of children is completely unknown. The impact of re-infection on children is completely unknown. This is a totally new infection on human beings. We know next to nothing about it.

I think deliberately using children as a conductor of the infection is pretty sick in this context. If a child gets seriously unwell or dies, is it collateral damage? Not for me. Schools should be shut.

You're right that there are more factors at play here than just health. The economy is going to go to shit. Loads of people will lose their jobs and businesses. There is nothing anyone can do to stop this happening. People may even die as a result of the economic impact. But I don't think it is comparable to the effect of not doing everything as early as possible to limit deaths. If it's a choice between a company going bust and one life saved, **** the business.

Your argument leads to one inevitable conclusion. You place a value on a life. It's negotiable. It's a balancing act. A dead kid is worth 'X' amount. A dead old person is worth 'Y' amount.

Nope. Not for me. This is about preserving life and nothing else. Every other issue is secondary.

You're right that children are not falling ill like adults so far. But we don't understand this yet. For example, the long term impact on the immune system of children is completely unknown. The impact of re-infection on children is completely unknown. This is a totally new infection on human beings. We know next to nothing about it.

I think deliberately using children as a conductor of the infection is pretty sick in this context. If a child gets seriously unwell or dies, is it collateral damage? Not for me. Schools should be shut.

You're right that there are more factors at play here than just health. The economy is going to go to shit. Loads of people will lose their jobs and businesses. There is nothing anyone can do to stop this happening. People may even die as a result of the economic impact. But I don't think it is comparable to the effect of not doing everything as early as possible to limit deaths. If it's a choice between a company going bust and one life saved, **** the business.

Your argument leads to one inevitable conclusion. You place a value on a life. It's negotiable. It's a balancing act. A dead kid is worth 'X' amount. A dead old person is worth 'Y' amount.

Nope. Not for me. This is about preserving life and nothing else. Every other issue is secondary.

What makes things even worse is that we are scaling back largely on testing unless you are already at hospital with serious symptoms (bit pointless as I'm guessing they won't be there just to make use of the bog roll...)

Therefore we actually know very little on how this is actually spreading and everything is based on guess work.

Today marks a serious change in policy and an admission current modelling has not happened.

Time we act like countries that appear or have gotten on top of it like China & S Korea and actually follow the WHO advice of test, test, test.

My kids regularly bring illness home to make us ill and they have a sniffle. Just because they're alright doesn't mean it's a good idea for them to spread this shit about. The country's approach does seem to be moving from "**** off and die" to "**** off and try not to die, but no refunds" very quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669