Pre Match Coventry (h)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thorn is out 'injured' for this one, so their assistant will be in charge...

[h=1]Coventry City manager Andy Thorn is taken ill with virus[/h]
Coventry City manager Andy Thorn has been ordered to rest after being taken ill during training on Thursday.
The 45-year-old has undergone hospital tests and returned home after being been diagnosed with a virus.
Sky Blues coach Steve Harrison will take charge of the team for Saturday's M69 derby against Leicester City at the King Power Stadium.
"The overriding priority is his health and well-being," said chief executive Tim Fisher in a club statement.
"We have been speaking to him, his family and his medical staff on a regular basis.
"Everyone at the club wishes him well and we ask that he can be left in peace for the next few days."
Thorn has been in charge of the Sky Blues since taking over from Aidy Boothroyd in March, initially as caretaker manager.
Championship strugglers Coventry go into Saturday's game standing 22nd in the table after an encouraging run of two wins in three matches - now just two points adrift of safety.
But they have not won on the road in almost 11 months - and have not even picked up an away point in eight matches since 29 October.
They have not beaten the Foxes in five local derby meetings since February 2008, but four of those games were drawn.

A Cov fan from uni, the only Cov fan I know in fact, thinks Andy Thorn has done a decent job but he's just been desperately unlucky with injuries. Plus they struggle in front of goal and miss Jutkewicz (sp). I tried to console him by saying League 1 was a great laugh, fun and new away days, good fans, plenty of goals and wins. He fears that relegation this season will start an irreversible and slippy slide into administration and so on......

Still, I hope we thrash them tomorrow.

Schmeichel, Peltier, St. Ledger, Morgan, Konchesky, Drinkwater, Danns, Wellens, Dyer, Beckford, Nugent

Subs: Logan, Kennedy, Bamba, Marshall, Howard

3-0 Nugent + Danns.

A Cov fan from uni, the only Cov fan I know in fact, thinks Andy Thorn has done a decent job but he's just been desperately unlucky with injuries. Plus they struggle in front of goal and miss Jutkewicz (sp). I tried to console him by saying League 1 was a great laugh, fun and new away days, good fans, plenty of goals and wins. He fears that relegation this season will start an irreversible and slippy slide into administration and so on......

Still, I hope we thrash them tomorrow.

I think Thorn has done about as good a job as could be expected, really. He was clearly appointed because he was the cheap option and saw his better players sold in the summer without replacements being found, or perhaps even sought. They were always going to struggle this season. I had them to finish bottom and they're putting up a better fight of it than I thought they would.

If they go down a drop down the leagues is entirely possible. I have no axe to grind with Coventry City. In fact I used to quite like them as a kid when they were a top flight side. I wouldn't want to see them (or any club) end up in any more financial crap then they already are. It wasn't nice for us when the punishment was less severe. A decent club with a decent history, in my view. And as much as we mock their supporters my Coventry supporting friends bear no resemblance to the stereotype. Needless to say a nice comfortable win would be lovely tomorrow. But I want that every week regardless of who we're playing.

I have no axe to grind with Coventry City. In fact I used to quite like them as a kid when they were a top flight side. I wouldn't want to see them (or any club) end up in any more financial crap then they already are. It wasn't nice for us when the punishment was less severe. A decent club with a decent history, in my view. And as much as we mock their supporters my Coventry supporting friends bear no resemblance to the stereotype. Needless to say a nice comfortable win would be lovely tomorrow. But I want that every week regardless of who we're playing.

I wouldn't go as far as saying I like them in any way, but I do struggle to see them as local rivals, to be honest. I try my best to hate them, but they're really just another team to me.

It's weird how we have a three way spilt between our fans on who the main rival is

I wouldn't go as far as saying I like them in any way, but I do struggle to see them as local rivals, to be honest. I try my best to hate them, but they're really just another team to me.

It's weird how we have a three way spilt between our fans on who the main rival is

i thought it was Chelsea:icon_wink

I knew this bloke called Neil, he was the singlemost boring person I've ever met with an amazingly dull monotone voice. He supported Coventry. Ever since then I can't manage to muster any emotion beyond 'bored' whenever they are involved.

I can't manage to muster any emotion beyond 'bored' whenever they are involved.

Similar to the Cov fans then judging the amount that turn up.

Similar to the Cov fans then judging the amount that turn up.

http://www.ccfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10269~2630526,00.html

Coventry haven't picked up an away win all season but on their last away trip to Nottingham Forest, a huge away following of over 2600 fans watched the 2-0 defeat.

With the 'M69 derby' tomorrow and already over 1500 tickets sold for the trip, City will be watched by another bumper away support and Harrison couldn't thank the fans enough for their commitment.

:081:

Last edited:
Blackpool 1 Hull 1 tonight. Fryatt with the 90th minute equaliser. About the best result for us I think.

yep good result for us and about time someone scored against Blackpool in the last min,they have done it numerous times, watching that game id be dissappointed if we couldnt beat both of them in the next few weeks!!!

Coventry are no rivals really, I actually quite liked them and their pluckiness in fighting relegation during their Premiership years.

I think a few of their younger 'OO ARE YA' type fans are desperate for a rivalry with us but it hasn't really taken off, at least not down our end of the M69 anyway.

My prediction today is a turgid 2-0 win. We often play poorly against struggling teams, Doncaster being the nadir, but Coventry are where they are for a reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4469
8Middlesbro4566